The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Powerlifter
It is far from optimal to get your carbs from just fruits - they are sugar based.
Simply put your body is used to processing in a certain way, if you gradually add grainy carbs to your diet it will adapt and take away the fealing of bloat.
At the moment all your doing is using the protien for energy which is not at all optimal and will help with creating a skinny fat look.

Training wise you really need anything that uses either explosive force or stratic strenght.

For e.g
Jump squats
Box Jumps
Burpies

Coulpe these with
Push Ups
Handstand pressups when you get strong enough
Tricep dips
Planks
Crunches/abdominal work

Christ, okay! And here I was thinking I was doing myself a favour! :p: With the food I'm currently eating, I'm getting roughly 1,400 calories daily - how many carbs should I be getting, and how much of it should come from fruit? What would you say is the optimal carbs/protein ratio?

Thanks a lot for the training advice, as well. :smile: How many times a week would you say I should incorporate the resistance routine? And should I stick to the 1-2 HITT sessions + 2 power yoga, as I think I might die if I do more than 2 resistance sessions on top of that? :p:
Jandarini
Christ, okay! And here I was thinking I was doing myself a favour! With the food I'm currently eating, I'm getting roughly 1,400 calories daily - how many carbs should I be getting, and how much of it should come from fruit? What would you say is the optimal carbs/protein ratio?

Thanks a lot for the training advice, as well. :smile: How many times a week would you say I should incorporate the resistance routine? And should I stick to the 1-2 HITT sessions + 2 power yoga, as I think I might die if I do more than 2 resistance sessions on top of that?

There is alot of debate relating to optimal ratios

For fat loss and muslce retention it is generally accepted to be around 40% Protien, 30% carbs and 30% good fats (kcal values).

So for 1400 you want approx

105g Carbs
140g Protien
47g Fats

2 Power yoga and 2 HIIT with one resistance session should be more than enough for you - HIIT training assists in fat loss and muscle tension too - as I imagine does power yoga
Reply 582
Powerlifter
There is alot of debate relating to optimal ratios

For fat loss and muslce retention it is generally accepted to be around 40% Protien, 30% carbs and 30% good fats (kcal values).

So for 1400 you want approx

105g Carbs
140g Protien
47g Fats

2 Power yoga and 2 HIIT with one resistance session should be more than enough for you - HIIT training assists in fat loss and muscle tension too - as I imagine does power yoga

Brilliant! Thanks ever so much for your help. :smile:
commandant
Whats the best federation to get into for an unequipped lifter? Looking at other feds besides the welsh ones.

Also, the girlfriend wants to get back into the gym - what's best for her to do weights wise twice a week?. Gotta get her on the squats I know that much! Guessing there's no need for benching if pressing above the head. Ideas?

Cheers

not sure if you missed this one, bump :wink:
Reply 584
Powerlifter, you recommended this routine a few weeks ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23535624&postcount=550

Although I do want to incorporate the olympic lifts, I was thinking more along the lines of doing a few of them, within a 'normal' structured workout.

Heres a few problems: I don't have blocks to snatch from, and I can't really commit to the gym 5 days a week.

Therefore is there any chance you could condense it to 4 days, and structure it more like a 'normal' workout? I also play centre in both Rugby League and Union, and i'm lifting to get bigger and improve my performance in rugby, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Khanage
Powerlifter, you recommended this routine a few weeks ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=23535624&postcount=550

Although I do want to incorporate the olympic lifts, I was thinking more along the lines of doing a few of them, within a 'normal' structured workout.

Heres a few problems: I don't have blocks to snatch from, and I can't really commit to the gym 5 days a week.

Therefore is there any chance you could condense it to 4 days, and structure it more like a 'normal' workout? I also play centre in both Rugby League and Union, and i'm lifting to get bigger and improve my performance in rugby, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Day 1

Power Cleans 5 x 3
Push Press 5 x 3
Squats 5 x 3
Calf Work

Day 2
Snatches 5 x 3
Front squats 5 x 3
Split Jerks 5 x 3
Deadlifts 5 x 3

Day 3
Hang clean 5 x 3
Bench Press 5 x 3
Close Grip Bench 5 x 3
Jump Squats 5 x 3

Day 4
Snatches 5 x 3
Push Press 5 x 3
Squats 5 x 3
Chin ups 5 x 3
Powerlifter - Oxford university have so many guys who are stronger than me. How should I spend the next year in order to out-lift them?
Chumbaniya
Powerlifter - Oxford university have so many guys who are stronger than me. How should I spend the next year in order to out-lift them?

Strap your cock on, leave your pussy at home, put a bar on your back and bend your knees.

Eat food, if you think your eating to much, eat more, if you throw up - thats room for more food.
Reply 588
My bench is lagging dispicably. Any tips for adding weight to it?

And if you say by adding more plates to the bar, so help me...
ellingham
My bench is lagging dispicably. Any tips for adding weight to it?

And if you say by adding more plates to the bar, so help me...

Post a vid and i'll take a peak
is doing HIIT 4 times a week ok.....i was also thinking about going for a fast walk a couple of timnes a week before breakfast just on a caffeine tablet....will this help me lose some fat...be pointless or negative?
Reply 591
Is it ok to ask more than one question? I have a few I'd like to ask, if that's alright.
Hy~
Is it ok to ask more than one question? I have a few I'd like to ask, if that's alright.

No, that is your question used up! :wink:

Sure fire away
Reply 593
Powerlifter
Strap your cock on, leave your pussy at home, put a bar on your back and bend your knees.

Eat food, if you think your eating to much, eat more, if you throw up - thats room for more food.

Okay, sorry for being pedantic, but throwing up really isn't beneficial to weight gain at all really is it?
Reply 594
Supfresh.
Okay, sorry for being pedantic, but throwing up really isn't beneficial to weight gain at all really is it?

It can be. When you make more room, you can fit more food in. It's question of volume, and how much food you can get in it.
Supfresh.

How else do you propose finding your stomach max content PB?
Powerlifter

I think I've injured my elbow squatting. It doesn't hurt to bend, and holding a load isn't too much more pain, but it just constantly aches really badly from the joint and up and down the arm bones and it is affecting lifts. The pain's gone half an hour after finishing in the gym. Any idea what it might be or how best to rehabilitate something like this/go about gymming next week?
A question relating to comments about my squatting today - I tend to get a bit stuck halfway up when I'm squatting heavy and lean forward so I have to basically good-morning the weight up. What can I do to help that?

One of the guys I was squatting with suggested some partial squats, and while I'm used to the old mantra of 'go deep or go home' given my problem occurs about halfway up the squat and I need to be able to drive through that without lurching forward it kind of makes sense. What is you opinion on this? I know partial-squatting is always linked to problems, but it wouldn't be a case of partial squatting all the time, just occasionally so it's not like I'd be weak out of the hole.
Powerlifter
No, that is your question used up! :wink:

Sure fire away

Was just wondering what kind of prog. you suggest I use...

My aims are to lose weight but maintain (and build more muscle if possible).

What kinda diet will I be looking at also?

I was doing boxing for a period of time but stopped and put on the weight I lost and now back to the gym and am hoping to start hitting the weights hard.

If you need to know weight, height let me know.

Cheers.
Reply 599
Brotherhood
I think I've injured my elbow squatting. It doesn't hurt to bend, and holding a load isn't too much more pain, but it just constantly aches really badly from the joint and up and down the arm bones and it is affecting lifts. The pain's gone half an hour after finishing in the gym. Any idea what it might be or how best to rehabilitate something like this/go about gymming next week?

I'll take a stab at this, since I've recently been afflicted and have found a way around it. Does it hurt doing "arm-wrestling" type movements? If so, it's likely you're pulling down on the bar during the ascent. Like I said in your log, video it and post it up or just look for yourself. Shoot right from behind (strong no homo).

I made a thread a while back that has just about every possible suggestion, tip and remedy. Have a look: http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/showthread.php?t=14589

Quick Reply

Latest