The Student Room Group

Ask Powerlifter - Gents and gals of all goals welcome

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Powerlifter
DO NOT add more if things don't work, if anything take something out!!!

It depends on the purpose of your barbel row, pedlay rows are a favourite of mine.

Ok cheers I'll continue with the standard template.
Reply 1781
Dear Powerlifter,

I have my diet pretty much sorted now (RFU), ordered some whey protein from myprotein and I hope I am ready to start properly.

I have two questions.

1.) Can you point me to a complete beginners' routine?

To elaborate on this somewhat clumsily:

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but my overall strength is pretty bad, especially my arms (I can feel the strain the next day if I have to bring relatively heavy grocery shopping home). My arms tend to shake quite violently when I lift something heavy. I'd rather not embarass myself and put myself off the gym, so would it be alright to start off quite small, and if so what weight would you recommend?

2.) Would I look like a **** if I wore lifting gloves?

Reason: Sweaty Hands :ashamed2:

Many thanks for your help!
Original post by JRHoward
Dear Powerlifter,

I have my diet pretty much sorted now (RFU), ordered some whey protein from myprotein and I hope I am ready to start properly.

I have two questions.

1.) Can you point me to a complete beginners' routine?

To elaborate on this somewhat clumsily:

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but my overall strength is pretty bad, especially my arms (I can feel the strain the next day if I have to bring relatively heavy grocery shopping home). My arms tend to shake quite violently when I lift something heavy. I'd rather not embarass myself and put myself off the gym, so would it be alright to start off quite small, and if so what weight would you recommend?

2.) Would I look like a **** if I wore lifting gloves?

Reason: Sweaty Hands :ashamed2:

Many thanks for your help!

Look up starting strength

Screw gloves, buy some chalk
ever think that at some point in the future you'll hang up your strongman/powerlifting shoes and try your hand at a bodybuilding show?

I wanna see a ripped to shreds Matt lol
Original post by commandant
ever think that at some point in the future you'll hang up your strongman/powerlifting shoes and try your hand at a bodybuilding show?

I wanna see a ripped to shreds Matt lol

No, I am the wrong shape for a bodybuilder anyway I have long arms and legs which are not the best for muscle bellies and I have no calves (or really high calves) and very little that resembles a bicep.

The training is just boring to me, I like lifting heavy stuff, really heavy stuff.

If I give up in the future I will still train, but I will allow my bodyweight to relax significantly and drop down to arond 18st instead.
Reply 1785
Look up starting strength

Screw gloves, buy some chalk

Thank you!
Reply 1786
Just got a few questions to ask in general...
im 18, 6ft0 and 160lbs. I dont know my bodyfat % but its probably around 10% (not defined but visible abs). Ive put on around 1st in the past 6months from stronglifts, and ive just started this westside routine (http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459321). Is that worth doing?
ive got quite a lot stronger on stronglifts so far, but not put on much mass. My back has got a lot wider and my pecs are more developed, but my legs and arms are still skinny even though ive been doing loads of squats and pullups.
Also, are my 1RM any good?
Squat - 110kg ATG (but on a smith machine, we have no squat rack :/)
Deadlift - 100kg ish (also on a smith machine, more like a romanian deadlift/ rack pull) i dont know why this is lower than my squat, i think my grip might fail before i can lift the weight, dont have straps so i dont know.
Bench press - 2 30kg dumbells (pretty crap i know)

do you have any tips, i proper cant gain mass on my legs. I used to do 3 squat session a week on stronglifts but i also cycle everywhere at a fast speed and do long distance running and karate (deep stances, kicks etc.) so could i have been overtraining them? I am now doing 1 leg session a week so would this help.
and do you have just any tips in general?
thanks in advance
Original post by albertb
im 18, 6ft0 and 160lbs. I dont know my bodyfat % but its probably around 10% (not defined but visible abs). Ive put on around 1st in the past 6months from stronglifts, and ive just started this westside routine (http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459321). Is that worth doing?
ive got quite a lot stronger on stronglifts so far, but not put on much mass. My back has got a lot wider and my pecs are more developed, but my legs and arms are still skinny even though ive been doing loads of squats and pullups.
Deadlift - 100kg ish (also on a smith machine, more like a romanian deadlift/ rack pull) i dont know why this is lower than my squat, i think my grip might fail before i can lift the weight, dont have straps so i dont know.

do you have any tips, i proper cant gain mass on my legs. I used to do 3 squat session a week on stronglifts but i also cycle everywhere at a fast speed and do long distance running and karate (deep stances, kicks etc.) so could i have been overtraining them? I am now doing 1 leg session a week so would this help.
thanks in advance

Your legs aren't that developed because your deadlifts and squats are on a smith machine. Go to a different gym, lift big and eat big.
Original post by albertb

thanks in advance

Smith machines are the devil, and theyare also alot of your problem - top bodybuilders use them sometimes to refine the quads not build mass on them.

Change your gym, proper squats and milk
Reply 1789
Smith machines are the devil, and theyare also alot of your problem - top bodybuilders use them sometimes to refine the quads not build mass on them.

Change your gym, proper squats and milk

ive looked at two other gyms, and they both have smith machines :/. Also, i started off doing them with a barbell that was just lying around and having my gym partner help me power clean it, ive only been doing smith squats for the past 3 weeks, but then the bar bent and they took it off us so now we have only the smith machine. I am eating a lot and drinking a lot of milk (6-8pints a day plus 200g bag of peanuts plus normal meals). Should i give up on the smith squats and do one leg dumbell squats (but the dumbbells only go up to 34kg)
Original post by albertb
ive looked at two other gyms, and they both have smith machines :/. Also, i started off doing them with a barbell that was just lying around and having my gym partner help me power clean it, ive only been doing smith squats for the past 3 weeks, but then the bar bent and they took it off us so now we have only the smith machine. I am eating a lot and drinking a lot of milk (6-8pints a day plus 200g bag of peanuts plus normal meals). Should i give up on the smith squats and do one leg dumbell squats (but the dumbbells only go up to 34kg)

What area are you in?

Even crappy fitness first gyms have squat racks in them - are you sure the other gyms had no power cage, squat stands etc?
Reply 1791
What area are you in?

Even crappy fitness first gyms have squat racks in them - are you sure the other gyms had no power cage, squat stands etc?

southport, near liverpool in the north west, i have mates who go to the other two gyms and ive looked on the websites and stuff and theres no squat racks :/. One of them has a barbell but i dont know how much weight they would let you put on it. The gym i go to is proper awful though, its just loads of massive guys curling ridiculously low amounts, i think ive seen 3 people do squats since i started, and none of them went anywhere near ATG, they were way above parallel. Im going to be going to uni in september i think though, and i reckon they must have a decent gym there :smile:
Original post by albertb
southport, near liverpool in the north west, i have mates who go to the other two gyms and ive looked on the websites and stuff and theres no squat racks :/. One of them has a barbell but i dont know how much weight they would let you put on it. The gym i go to is proper awful though, its just loads of massive guys curling ridiculously low amounts, i think ive seen 3 people do squats since i started, and none of them went anywhere near ATG, they were way above parallel. Im going to be going to uni in september i think though, and i reckon they must have a decent gym there :smile:

it is worth actually visiting the gyms to have a look for yourself to be honest - most 'proper' gyms (as in spit and sawdust) don't even have fancy websites.

If you can get to them

Liverpool
- The Training Station, Picton Road, Wavertree.
- Gym 21, Beech Street, Kensington, Liverpool.
- Pembroke Gym, London Road, (Liverpool Centre), Liverpool.

All cater for powerlifters
Original post by albertb

My absolutely stacked mate from uni is from Southport, got decent lifts. I'll ask him which gym he went to for you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by albertb

I googled southport squat rack and like the third result was a TSR thread from a few months back...

"
I pay £20 a month direct debit. Would be £25 per month if I paid cash.

I train at New Attitude, Southport. It's primarily used by men, though there are a few women regulars. Most people who train there are into physique rather than strength. It's a good gym. Only thing I'd change about it is getting a 2nd flat bench and bumper plates.
"

http://www.southport.gb.com/business/newattitude.shtml

There's it's website. That is the type of gym you should go to...

It doesn't specifically mention a squat rack but RawJoh1 from here goes there so maybe message him or ring them. It looks alright...
(edited 13 years ago)
I would drop more than thatm its still 91%,drop to around 70kg and work your way slowly back up over around 6 weeks.

Don't rush these things

Thanks for the help.

However, I was thinking, would it be more beneficial to deload on the bench press or try and change it up to, say, incline bench or whatever?

Just been reading a little more on Westside Barbell methods and the benefits of changing it up. I've slightly adapted the routine I'm on so it's a little more like a Max Effort day for bench-press and squats.

However, I've always been a bit worried about changing these exercises around. Just because I felt I may get better at incline press but then my bench press would go down because I wasn't doing it. But from what I've read it's good to change it around. What are your thoughts on this?
Reply 1796
What sort of rep set scheme can I do to increase my strict press and push press. Currently I heavy bench on wednesday, shoulders on thursday and light bench on sunday. Getting my bench up is a priority but I dont want my overhead pressing to get weaker?

Also, which has better carryover to the other push press to strict or strict to push press?
Reply 1797
Original post by Michael XYZ
Thanks for the help.

However, I was thinking, would it be more beneficial to deload on the bench press or try and change it up to, say, incline bench or whatever?

Just been reading a little more on Westside Barbell methods and the benefits of changing it up. I've slightly adapted the routine I'm on so it's a little more like a Max Effort day for bench-press and squats.

However, I've always been a bit worried about changing these exercises around. Just because I felt I may get better at incline press but then my bench press would go down because I wasn't doing it. But from what I've read it's good to change it around. What are your thoughts on this?

I've been doing the westside routine did 60x5 in the first week, 65x5 in week 2, 70x5 and 75x3 in week 3

and then switched to incline as it says change the max effort every 2-3 weeks and did
65x5 and 70x3 in week 4 then week 5 did 70x5 and 75x3

at this point everything was going far better than i could have hoped, then switched back to flat bench today and struggled with 75x5 and 77.5x3. So basically it seemed to f*** me up changing it but maybe that was from a lack of sleep and food in the last few days

makes me wonder why i botherd changing, still if you've been doing flat bench for a long time it might work better for you to change it up
Original post by st_23
I've been doing the westside routine did 60x5 in the first week, 65x5 in week 2, 70x5 and 75x3 in week 3

and then switched to incline as it says change the max effort every 2-3 weeks and did

at this point everything was going far better than i could have hoped, then switched back to flat bench today and struggled with 75x5 and 77.5x3. So basically it seemed to f*** me up changing it but maybe that was from a lack of sleep and food in the last few days

makes me wonder why i botherd changing, still if you've been doing flat bench for a long time it might work better for you to change it up

See I had this same problem when I did WS4SB for a little while many months ago. However, that may have been due to lack of knowledge and other factors I guess.
Original post by st_23

At your level of strength development I think you need longer between switching excercises. You're basically 'learning' how to do excercises instead of getting physically stronger in a transferable way (for want of a better way of explaining it.) That and I think for people at your (my?) level of motor learning are better off building up slightly lighter to relearn the movement pattern when switching ME type excercises. Just an opinion from someone who doesn't really use Westside.

Quick Reply

Latest