The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Soes anybody know of an good diet things for running, rather then the usual don't eat crap lol
Original post by hazbaz
Soes anybody know of an good diet things for running, rather then the usual don't eat crap lol

Do you want to lose weight?

If not you can't go much wrong eating a lot of complex carbs (Wholemeal bread, brown rice etc) and a lot of protein to help your muscles recover. Also try and eat enough vegetables so you don't get ill easily. Specifically I take glucasomine suplhate (SP?) because I know I have quite bad joints and eat a lot of almonds because they're meant to be good aswell. if you start to put on weight then just tone down the portions.

Also make sure you refuel as soon as possible post run.
Entering my first 5k this saturday...

It's a retalliation thing to my brother going out on his second ever run and gettign within 15 seconds of my 5k time...

Annoyingly he lives in a flat place where he can run along the sea whereas wherever i run is up/down hills so i'm hoping that the spirit of the competition will urge me on to go quicker and this park is quite flat where it's being organised...

It's the parkrun Brighton thing on saturday i'm entering. Any tips pre race other than pace myself?
Make sure you get a good warm up in. Don't try and "conserve energy" or anything silly like that. Start off very easy and run about 1.5 miles with the pace increasing then stretch well.
Original post by Jeppasloth
Make sure you get a good warm up in. Don't try and "conserve energy" or anything silly like that. Start off very easy and run about 1.5 miles with the pace increasing then stretch well.

Ty, it's either 40 mins cycle or train than 10 minute jog/walk so i'm gonna grab the train there/back for £2 and then do a light jog from the train station. :smile:

Then stretch when i get there and am signing in etc...
It's a 1.4klap then 2 1.8k laps for the actual 5k for to get my target time of 25 minutes i want to do the first lap in 7 minutes, then 16 mins for the end of 2nd lap to cross the line in exactly 24:59(after sprint finish):tongue:

Repped.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1985
Original post by Jeppasloth
Do you want to lose weight?

If not you can't go much wrong eating a lot of complex carbs (Wholemeal bread, brown rice etc) and a lot of protein to help your muscles recover. Also try and eat enough vegetables so you don't get ill easily. Specifically I take glucasomine suplhate (SP?) because I know I have quite bad joints and eat a lot of almonds because they're meant to be good aswell. if you start to put on weight then just tone down the portions.

Also make sure you refuel as soon as possible post run.

Im skinny anyway just wanna keep in good shape tbh and make sure im eating the correct things for running
Hey guys :smile:

I have just started my week 2 of my couch to 5k plan I am following (the NHS one)

I am a newbie to running, but have got to say I love it!

I am running the race for life on the 11th of June, so thats motivating me at the moment! :smile:
Original post by teaandcoffee

Hey guys :smile:

I have just started my week 2 of my couch to 5k plan I am following (the NHS one)

I am a newbie to running, but have got to say I love it!

I am running the race for life on the 11th of June, so thats motivating me at the moment! :smile:

It's even better when you're fit. But the newbie gains are massive. :biggrin:

Enjoy. :smile:

P.S. Feel free to ask for advice here.
Original post by addylad
It's even better when you're fit. But the newbie gains are massive. :biggrin:

Enjoy. :smile:

P.S. Feel free to ask for advice here.

Thank you :smile:

I started jogging a bit at the start of feb, but have only just started the couch to 5k plan cos I wanted to actually see some improvement!

I'd like to ask some advice about breathing? Sounds stupid, but there are techniques that I've read about but when I try and do them (today I did breathing in for four secs, then out for four secs) I forget about everything else, and start to get quite clumbsy :tongue:

Thank you :smile:

I started jogging a bit at the start of feb, but have only just started the couch to 5k plan cos I wanted to actually see some improvement!

I'd like to ask some advice about breathing? Sounds stupid, but there are techniques that I've read about but when I try and do them (today I did breathing in for four secs, then out for four secs) I forget about everything else, and start to get quite clumbsy :tongue:

I wouldn't do it in seconds, I'd do it in steps. See: http://www.brianmac.co.uk/economy.htm

The Breathing Issue
Most elite athletes use a 2-2 breathing rhythm. That is they breathe in for two steps and they breathe out for two steps. The 2-2 breathing rhythm means you are taking 45 breaths (assume you now have a strike rate of 90) which is slow enough to allow for good depth of breathing. It is recommended to practice all kinds of breathing patterns, just to become familiar with them and to note your body's reaction. Try the 3-3 breathing rhythm, 4-4 breathing rhythm and try unequal breathing rhythms such as 3-2 and 2-3. All the athletes I work with (except the sprinters) use either a 2-2 or a 3-3 breathing rhythm. I personally use the 2-2 breathing rhythm starting the breathing cycle on the left foot. If you use the 2-2 breathing rhythm and you experience stitch then switch the breathing rhythm to start on the other foot or switch to a 3-3 breathing rhythm until the stitch subsides.

Long term analysis conducted by Jack Daniels has found that elite athletes in races up to and including the 10K use the 2-2 breathing rhythm at the start of the race and after completing about two-thirds of the race they switch to a 2-1 breathing rhythm. For races longer than 10k the 2-2 breathing rhythm is used for the whole distance, perhaps shifting to a 2-1 breathing rhythm in the last minute or two for the sprint finish. An important point is that your breathing rhythm will not only tell you how hard you are working but also allow you to control how hard you work.
Original post by addylad
x

Thankyou! + rep
Does anyone find it difficult to breathe properly when it's cold? Any tips?
Original post by sleekchic
Does anyone find it difficult to breathe properly when it's cold? Any tips?

I do, i feel short of breath really quickly in the cold.

I found that wearing a buff helped quite a bit, you might also want to try having a mint before a run, or airwaves chewing gum, just for improved sinuses

:biggrin:
First ever sub-4 in Barcelona (3:59:00).

I think I may still be drunk from the celebrations.
Original post by Apocalypte
First ever sub-4 in Barcelona (3:59:00).

I think I may still be drunk from the celebrations.

Nice one. That's like the same pace i run a 5k for but for 8 times the length basically.

That's awesome.
Cheeky 2000th post :P

went on the treadmill in the gym today, but i could only manage 3.5k, my legs were still stiff from football on saturday
Original post by iainthegreat
For a lot of people the pain in their shin isn't shin splints. It's the calf muscle tightening which brings about a pain in the shins. If you spend a good 5-10 minutes warming up and especially stretching your calf muscle this may help.

Hmm this makes sense, cos I have been feeling some pain in my shin area, but after reading up about shin splints I thought the pain would be a lot more? so I will do as you suggest and warm up for a bit longer :smile: thank you.

Hmm this makes sense, cos I have been feeling some pain in my shin area, but after reading up about shin splints I thought the pain would be a lot more? so I will do as you suggest and warm up for a bit longer :smile: thank you.

Shin splints is a generic term for pain in the shins. It can vary from the inside, to the front, to the outside of the shins. Where exactly is the pain, does it subside during exercise and then return, and what are your trainers like?
Original post by addylad
Shin splints is a generic term for pain in the shins. It can vary from the inside, to the front, to the outside of the shins. Where exactly is the pain, does it subside during exercise and then return, and what are your trainers like?

The pain was worse when I was jogging in some of my plain old trainers. I have recently bought some Asics, and the pain has lessened.

It kind of subsides, it isn't constant pain. But it isn't pain where I am literally crying due to the pain... I guess its kind of that irritating pain you get sometimes? :tongue:

Yeah look up some calf stretches and make sure you do plenty of them before you start. good luck hope it gets better for you, I'm injured myself now, it sucks :angry:

Latest