The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername
First time running since Friday- a fairly ok 13 miles tonight though- slow for the first half but picked up the pace a bit towards the end. I witnessed some really bad driving! :tongue: (two cars driving through red lights, several who didn't indicate, several others who indicated right at the last minute while I was already half-way across the road :rolleyes: )

It's amazing how it helps you take your mind off the running! Thank god for bad drivers (until they inevitably hit us of course).
A 7.5 and a 4.5 today. First double in a while.
National cross country today, a bus ride away from my house! Hard life..
Original post by Pensivedore
Oh I meant snack! :redface:

Were you thinking of snake or..? :tongue:
Reply 3984
Hi there fellow runners,
German guy here.

New 10k PB last Saturday 36:23 down from 38:35 on my first 10k last year where i ran the first kilometer over 4 minutes :smile:

I usually run shorter distances on track (1000m PB of 2:37,01) but especially over this winter have started enjoying hard longer runs over 12 to 14 kilometers in or under 4min/km pace in addition to the intervals I do on track (or with the past weather on paved roads).

Sorry if this looks like a "look at me" post.
Ran parkrun for the second time this year today.

25:12 GIGANTIC PB

Beat my old personal best by 85 seconds.
(Old PB was 26:37)

Spent the first like 30 seconds running with my housemate before deciding to ditch her and go at my own pace. Tried catching the 25 minute pacing guy but couldn't. Was running with a random women around 40/50 yrs old and tried keeping with her the whole time then sprinted the last bit and overtook her.

It absolutely killed me. Was wanting to give up after the first 1km or so but couldn't allow myself to slow down incase my housemate caught up...

Will probs be a bit slower next week but you never know. Maybe i'll be hitting sub 25 minutes sooner than i thought.
Original post by MHorman
Ran parkrun for the second time this year today.

25:12 GIGANTIC PB

Beat my old personal best by 85 seconds.
(Old PB was 26:37)

Spent the first like 30 seconds running with my housemate before deciding to ditch her and go at my own pace. Tried catching the 25 minute pacing guy but couldn't. Was running with a random women around 40/50 yrs old and tried keeping with her the whole time then sprinted the last bit and overtook her.

It absolutely killed me. Was wanting to give up after the first 1km or so but couldn't allow myself to slow down incase my housemate caught up...

Will probs be a bit slower next week but you never know. Maybe i'll be hitting sub 25 minutes sooner than i thought.

Dude, I smoke 20 a day and I can still run a 10k at 7 minute mile pace. Are you overweight?
Original post by Daviant
Dude, I smoke 20 a day and I can still run a 10k at 7 minute mile pace. Are you overweight?

Dude, i can guarantee you've been running longer or more consistently than me.

I only started running again a month ago and before this month i only ran like once a week for a few months last year and once a week for like 2 months a year before.

And no, i'm not overweight. I weigh at roughly 74kg at 5 ft 8 with lifts of 140/90/180. I'm just fairly unfit relative to some.
Original post by MHorman
Dude, i can guarantee you've been running longer or more consistently than me.

I only started running again a month ago and before this month i only ran like once a week for a few months last year and once a week for like 2 months a year before.

And no, i'm not overweight. I weigh at roughly 74kg at 5 ft 8 with lifts of 140/90/180. I'm just fairly unfit relative to some.

75kg at 5 ft 8 is still pretty heavy... I weigh the same as you and I'm 6 ft 1. Those are nice lifts though, I'm presuming it means Squat/Bench/Deadlift in kgs. If so, thats pretty decent.
Original post by Daviant
75kg at 5 ft 8 is still pretty heavy... I weigh the same as you and I'm 6 ft 1. Those are nice lifts though, I'm presuming it means Squat/Bench/Deadlift in kgs. If so, thats pretty decent.

Yea, like a year ago i was 69 or so but i deliberately put on weight whilst weightlifting...

And Thanks.

My running was put on the backfoot whilst weightlifting and now i'm trying to do both at the same time so progression on both will be reasonably slow but should still happen.

First target is sub 25 minute 5km then it will be to get sub 22:30 and then EVENTUALLY sub 20 minute and when i hit that i can give up and die happy.
I had my first cross country race yesterday. It was, um, interesting.
An update on couch to 10k, kept leaving 2 days+ between each run but kept at it 3 times for one week, then just forgot about it for about a week, went once and then went for a run a week after that today. I am finding it extremely hard, like, feel like I can't breathe and about to collapse after 60 secs of relatively slow jogging hard! I didn't know I was that unfit :frown: Can't ever imagine going on to week 2 any time soon! Is this normal? Is it because I am leaving big gaps in between? Feel useless...
i used to cycle a lot, and needed something cardio-ish to do at uni so decided to start running. i'm doing a six week running program i found online with a friend. Last week was four days/week run 5 min + walk 1 min x5 then two days just a 30 min walk.
This week it's run 8 min + walk 1 min x3 then run 3 min. It's going well so far, i'm happy with my progress, it's definitely improving! Starting to change my diet this week too, no more crappy foods, spring time has inspired me to make a change!
(edited 12 years ago)
Nice adventure today. Thought i'd try a new route through fields to the south. Reached a small fence but it looked like there was a place intended for people to climb (and it was only like 3ft high) and no sign so i climbed it and kept running. Then i came to sa sign saying 'this area is under constant surveilance', which i thought was odd, but no sign saying i couldn't be there (maybe there have been problems with vandalism?) so kept going. Then reached a much higher, much tougher looking fence with the public road on the other side. Climbed it, looked back, and there was a big sign saying 'STRICTLY PRIVATE - NO TRESPASSING'...... :colondollar:

Still, it was much faster than i have previously run - about 13.7K in 1hr 1 min, so that was pleasing.

Just entered a 28 K race (actually a 4x7K relay, but doing all legs myself) - hoping to complete it in under 2hr 15. It wll be tough, but with the adrenaline of other runners i'm hopeful.
Original post by ruby321
An update on couch to 10k, kept leaving 2 days+ between each run but kept at it 3 times for one week, then just forgot about it for about a week, went once and then went for a run a week after that today. I am finding it extremely hard, like, feel like I can't breathe and about to collapse after 60 secs of relatively slow jogging hard! I didn't know I was that unfit :frown: Can't ever imagine going on to week 2 any time soon! Is this normal? Is it because I am leaving big gaps in between? Feel useless...

What was your routine? Two days between each run will cancel out a lot of your gains. You would be better off doing easy runs 4-5 times per week, and then building to a long run, and then introducing faster work. Running on consecutive days can be hard, and I find it difficult some days, but it's the key to improving fitness. If you are fatigued the next day, then your body recruits muscle fibres that are the least fatigued, even on a recovery run.
Original post by PorQpine
Hi there fellow runners,
German guy here.

New 10k PB last Saturday 36:23 down from 38:35 on my first 10k last year where i ran the first kilometer over 4 minutes :smile:

I usually run shorter distances on track (1000m PB of 2:37,01) but especially over this winter have started enjoying hard longer runs over 12 to 14 kilometers in or under 4min/km pace in addition to the intervals I do on track (or with the past weather on paved roads).

Sorry if this looks like a "look at me" post.

Phenomenal time for 1000m tbh! Never run it myself but if I do a 8 x 1000 session and am happy with 3:05 and a 1:30 jog recovery, a 2:37 is amazing. What's your 800m pb, I'm guessing around 1:55/56?

And don't feel sorry for making a "look at me" post, running is a "look at me" sport! No shame at all in letting everyone know I've run under 9 minutes for 3000m and under 16 for 5000m!

On the subject of the 10k though, hope to run close to 33 myself this year :yeah:

Original post by Daviant

No you absolutely cannot. You cannot run a 43 minute 10k if you are a chain smoker and don't run regularly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Some peoples times in this thread scares me...
Original post by OU Student
Some peoples times in this thread scares me...

Well, you posted above that you've just done your first ever race.. I've been running since I was 12!
Original post by rockrunride
Well, you posted above that you've just done your first ever race.. I've been running since I was 12!

That was my first cross country race. My first race was in November. (ignoring the one in October where I had to walk half of it)
Original post by rockrunride
And don't feel sorry for making a "look at me" post, running is a "look at me" sport! No shame at all in letting everyone know I've run under 9 minutes for 3000m and under 16 for 5000m!

On the subject of the 10k though, hope to run close to 33 myself this year :yeah:

Hope you'll be doing some 5ks too this year; if you can go a bit further below 16 it will obviously give you a better chance of hitting 33 or thereabouts. Someone at our club has run 15:59 and about 33:20 if that helps.

Latest