The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did Event Management at London Met, and to give you a word of advice, if you've got another uni option, go there. London Met doesn't have a great social side, SU is rubbish, lots of international students. Nothing against international students at all, but at London Met I found that they were more interested in working that partying. Which is understandable with the amount they have to pay! The only good night is Big Fish, otherwise the Rocket is empty.

The thing about the course is it's huge. Lectures are 200-300, very impersonal. There's no practical to it. I've actually transferred to Birmingham after a year and a half and I've learnt so much more in one semester here than I ever did at London Met.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
Thanks so much for the advice :smile: I was considering birmingham but can't change my options now my application has been sent! The only thing that put me off is that it's a college?? I think I'm just going to have manc and leeds as my choices (as 2 best unis for our course) and not too far.. If I don't get in i'll go through clearing and hopefully somewhere has a place for me x
Reply 3
I wouldn't let that put you off, but I know what you mean. It's actually accredited by the University of Birmingham, just taught at UCB. That means that UoB set the course, the teaching, the assignments, everything. And you get your degree certificate from them. I've found it to be a really good course personally. It's small, 50 people in each year, so you really get to know everyone, staff included. It's practical, in second year you get a budget and run an event for a client. And has amazing links with the UCC, NIA, and stuff. So personally, I like it. Good luck with Leeds and Manc though, I didn't want to go that far north myself.
Reply 4
Sounds really good, do you know if they accept many through clearing if I don't get my grades for manc? Manc is only an hour away from me and I love it there so think that's my best option. Been to Birmingham a few times and love it there too, really gutted I didn't apply now! x
Reply 5
I'm not sure, it's worth asking. They let me transfer in in February. Give them a call and ask. I like Birmingham personally, is nice. Plenty to do and stuff. And I like that it's central. I can get back to London easily, I can go north easily, anywhere really.
Reply 6
I chose london met as one of my choices to do events management as well.. you got me thinking, but I agree with you, becuase thats how it seemed when I went to the open day
Reply 7
I've applied for birmingham (managed to change one of my choices because it was within 14 days) just waiting for a reply :biggrin: x
Reply 8
I have to say, the staff at UCB are brilliant! The course is a lot more practical. Also, you get trips! First year is Cardiff, second year is York and then this year we're going to Barcelona. I really have learnt so much more there.

Which option did you change?
Reply 9
Sounds really good.. Hope to get a conditional then i'll make my mind up between there and Manc! Just replied to your pm x
Reply 10
hi I am very interested in this course .. so you disadvise to apply to London Met ?
and about which other universities are you talking .. Leeds and Manchester Met or another ?
please answer .. I really have no idea what to do now .. but I have to apply soon
Reply 11
I have applied to Manchester Met (conditional), Leeds Met (conditional), Birmingham college uni (acknowledged by postcard), London Met (acknowledged by email) and Coventry (conditional)... Hope this helps?
Reading this has really made me think is London Met worth going to in order to study this course i have applied for Leeds Met, London Met and Manchester Met i currently live in Leeds i know Leeds has a good rep with the course as i picked up on this at the open day in October but i would prefer to leave Leeds if i can.

I also applied to Sheffield Hallam and Brighton.
Reply 13
After hearing about the international students and social life I personally am put off London met but got all 5 conditional offers from UCB, MMU, Leeds Met, Coventry and London met :smile: Open day for Birmingham this saturday.. Probably will make it my firm choice very soon!! :biggrin:
Reply 14
Don't worry I didn't intend to go London met anyway! Just put it as a choice to fill one up I suppose.. Going to UCB tomorrow, the course sounds really good and in the perfect place as I don't want to live too near home (e.g Manchester) and Leeds doesn't appeal to me and the only reason I chose Coventry was to be near to Birmingham! Thanks for all the advice anyway, been really helpful x
Reply 15
What did you think of UCB?
Reply 16
my lift to ucb let me down but i'll be going in feb x
Reply 17
That's a shame, well I hope you like it!
Reply 18
thanks Lucy it helps .. :smile:
Reply 19
It's not surprising that event management is a growth industry. I guess event management companies will design and manage events, projects and programmes, whilst being strategic and creative in their thinking.

Latest

Trending

Trending