The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate 2023 intake

Hi All!
This thread will mainly discuss everything pertaining to Durham Postgraduate student concerns. Please share your inputs or questions and we might help each other out in some way before meeting at the uni :smile:.
Please collaborate! as I 've questions of my own :wink:
Reply 1
Please share any sort of groups that exist for Durham International/Home students! These should be able to help people collaborate regarding accommodations, networking, employment, leads, expenditure info, uni concerns, etc.
FYI - I am an incoming International student pursuing MSc in Management Sept 2023 intake.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hello there! I just accepted my offer to pursue MSc management at Durham for the sept 2023 intake as well!
There are so many areas i would love inputs as well
Such as :
1.Whats the part time job opportunities at Durham? - I've heard Durham is a small town and not much opportunities there? Is it true?
2. Accommodation and college? What's the college system about? Also which one should I choose?
3. I'm also someone who workouts? Are there good gyms in Durham?
Also, i would love to know about the business school
Reply 4
How long did it take for any of you to hear back? My application seems to be stuck in "further information needed" even though the last request was submitted, and I have no idea what to do about it. Calling admissions is futile (done twice), and the department has not gotten back to me. I have a relatively competitive application, considering I already have offers for Oxford and St Andrews. I applied on 26/02
Original post by JMarlb
How long did it take for any of you to hear back? My application seems to be stuck in "further information needed" even though the last request was submitted, and I have no idea what to do about it. Calling admissions is futile (done twice), and the department has not gotten back to me. I have a relatively competitive application, considering I already have offers for Oxford and St Andrews. I applied on 26/02

Well it took around 9 weeks I guess to get a decision from them.
Have to tried the creating an enquiry in the portal?
Reply 6
Original post by Dannymat1
Well it took around 9 weeks I guess to get a decision from them.
Have to tried the creating an enquiry in the portal?

I have and unfortunately they seem to believe I already have a masters degree and, despite clarifying to them that I do not, my application is stuck. I’d be happy to wait if it wasn’t for the application status being stuck on pending further information. I’m losing my mind with it.
Hi, I am searching more information online about student loans and I saw the post. I have a Masters in Psychiatric Nursing from overseas and I can not apply for Psychology roles in the UK with a Master in Psychiatric. I am a Psychologist register at The British Psychological Society but only as a Graduate member and I need an upgrade to get more job opportunities. I want to apply for a student loan and then, start to study a Master in Psychology and Education. My question is - Will they accept my application for a student loan even if i already have a Master but I want to apply for a different subject only because mine is not accepted in most Psycholgy boards and vacancies.
Original post by JMarlb
I have and unfortunately they seem to believe I already have a masters degree and, despite clarifying to them that I do not, my application is stuck. I’d be happy to wait if it wasn’t for the application status being stuck on pending further information. I’m losing my mind with it.

I can understand how frustrating this might be! Maybe send another email stating all these reasons and attaching all your certificates showing you haven't done your masters.
And let's hope for the best!
Reply 9
Hey! I’ll be taking a place for an LLM this coming sept and am still stuck on the whole colleges to pick. I had a couple questions if anyone knows- are we still be able to attend events catered to postgrads at other colleges from the one we’re allocated ? Ustinov obviously will cater much more specifically but I’m drawn to other colleges as well. Just want to know what the vibe is generally!
Original post by Holly75n
Hey! I’ll be taking a place for an LLM this coming sept and am still stuck on the whole colleges to pick. I had a couple questions if anyone knows- are we still be able to attend events catered to postgrads at other colleges from the one we’re allocated ? Ustinov obviously will cater much more specifically but I’m drawn to other colleges as well. Just want to know what the vibe is generally!

Hiya

It can really depend- some college events will be strictly for students from that college, like College Days. Apart from that, mostly it won't be an issue if you're a student from a different college. If there's a booking fee for the event, you'll just have to pay the non-JCR member fee which is slightly higher than JCR fees. And also if there's high demand for an event, they tend to prioritise students from the hosting college over others.

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello everyone, could someone recommend me which college to consider?
This whole thing is super tiring and confusing.
I am an international student ( MSc management 2023 September intake) and would love an ensuite room.
So based on my research
I am thinking
1. South college and
2. Josephine butler
Since these two:
a. Are self catered and
b. Has an ensuite option

I need to consider another one. Could someone please enlighten me?!
Also have i made the right choice with above two?
Reply 12
Hi, I just received an outstanding request to upload my final degree certificate, but I haven't completed my exams yet. Does this mean they'll consider my application only once they've seen my grades, or does it mean they might be sending an offer soon?
Hello there! I just accepted my offer to pursue MSc management at Durham for the sept 2023 intake as well!
There are so many areas i would love inputs as well
Such as :
1.Whats the part time job opportunities at Durham? - I've heard Durham is a small town and not much opportunities there? Is it true?
2. Accommodation and college? What's the college system about? Also which one should I choose?
3. I'm also someone who workouts? Are there good gyms in Durham?

Hello, Dannymatt1! To answer your questions:
1. There are many part-time job opportunities in Durham at local restaurants, bars and even working with the university itself.
2. Accommodation-wise, colleges are residential communities each of them has different clubs and plans events for their residents and members. Colleges have other facilities like the college bar, gym, and computer rooms that you can take advantage of.
3. Durham has many gyms you can join in, but also most colleges have a gym that you can access with a special price for being a member of said college.
Hello everyone, could someone recommend me which college to consider?
This whole thing is super tiring and confusing.
I am an international student ( MSc management 2023 September intake) and would love an ensuite room.
So based on my research
I am thinking
1. South college and
2. Josephine butler
Since these two:
a. Are self catered and
b. Has an ensuite option

I need to consider another one. Could someone please enlighten me?!
Also have i made the right choice with above two?

Hi Dannymat1!
There are many other options that offer self-catered and ensuite options for PG Students. I would personally recommend Ustinov College which is exclusively for postgraduates and offers what you are looking for. Hope this was helpful!
Hello can anyone advice me on this- I was issued my CAS last weekend. however, i was not aware that the name on the document has to reflect exactly my passport (part of my registered name is not shown). i have tried contacting durham admissions via the enquiry but have yet to hear from them. my flight has been booked and i’m really worried about my visa not making it. is there anyone i can reach out to escalate this?

thanks!!
Original post by Anonymous
Hello can anyone advice me on this- I was issued my CAS last weekend. however, i was not aware that the name on the document has to reflect exactly my passport (part of my registered name is not shown). i have tried contacting durham admissions via the enquiry but have yet to hear from them. my flight has been booked and i’m really worried about my visa not making it. is there anyone i can reach out to escalate this?

thanks!!

Contact your College
Original post by Anonymous

thanks!!

Hi there

Here are two more contacts you can try and get in touch with and I'm hoping they'll escalate this for you:

1. [email protected] (I used this email when I was waiting for CAS but I'm not sure if this is still working)
2. International Office directory: https://www.dur.ac.uk/directory/units/admin/global/international/. Different areas of the world have dedicated reps so I'd suggest contacting your country's rep mentioned in this link.

Hope that will help :smile:

-Himieka
Hi,

I’m having trouble finding PhD tuition fees for my own research question in the psychology department. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Terry

Quick Reply

Latest