The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

vas876
I shalt call you none of those, as im pretty sure you are not!

But what does your belief give you? (pure curiosity, as i was once religious too)

That's an interesting question. I suppose, being a rather naturally self-centred person generally speaking, it's forced me to step outside of myself and focus on other people more (though I still struggle!). I've learned a lot about myself, and while this has been very uncomfortable, in many ways it's helped me to be more understanding and gentle with other people.

That's not to say one can't be any of those things without belief, that's just how I've found them. I know plenty of lovely non-believers.
Reply 61
onthejubileeline
I'm a Christian

If I may, I'd love to see what you'd have to say to this:

Let's just make 2 assertions about the Christian God,

1. He is omniscient. He knows the past, present and future perfectly.
2. He granted us free -will.

If both these statements are true, then answer me this.

If God knows that we will start our day at point 'a', and finish it at point 'b', does this not negate free will? Wouldn't it be impossible to avoid God's foresight?

Secondly, is it even possible to be granted free will? I think this was best described by Isaac Singer; 'We must believe in free will, we have no choice'.

Interested in your answer :smile:
Reply 62
onthejubileeline
That's an interesting question. I suppose, being a rather naturally self-centred person generally speaking, it's forced me to step outside of myself and focus on other people more (though I still struggle!). I've learned a lot about myself, and while this has been very uncomfortable, in many ways it's helped me to be more understanding and gentle with other people.

That's not to say one can't be any of those things without belief, that's just how I've found them. I know plenty of lovely non-believers.

So you want religion for a purely ethical and moral reason.

Which is perfect.

Out of interest could you not at the same time accept that it does not have all the answers and that science should be allowed to research in every field unrestricted by religious arguments about god and creation?

(obviously not pure evil research like killing babies to test drugs.)
Jonk12345

If God knows that we will start our day at point 'a', and finish it at point 'b', does this not negate free will? Wouldn't it be impossible to avoid God's foresight?

Secondly, is it even possible to be granted free will? I think this was best described by Isaac Singer; 'We must believe in free will, we have no choice'.

THAT'S the question! That is the question. I might have phrased it different, but I see what you're getting at. And you know, so many people waste their time asking, "Why does God allow evil and suffering?" and such like, when they should be asking what you just asked. Because humanly, it's totally illogical, right? Believe me, I've turned this one over in my mind, and I can give you no answer I'm afraid.
vas876
So you want religion for a purely ethical and moral reason.

Which is perfect.

Out of interest could you not at the same time accept that it does not have all the answers and that science should be allowed to research in every field unrestricted by religious arguments about god and creation?

(obviously not pure evil research like killing babies to test drugs.)

100%. I'm very open to science on the issues concerning creation, as I do not go along with the 'traditional' Christian understanding of the literal 7 day creation.
Reply 65
onthejubileeline
THAT'S the question! That is the question. I might have phrased it different, but I see what you're getting at. And you know, so many people waste their time asking, "Why does God allow evil and suffering?" and such like, when they should be asking what you just asked. Because humanly, it's totally illogical, right? Believe me, I've turned this one over in my mind, and I can give you no answer I'm afraid.

Well I was a Christian for a large portion of my life, so I know what you mean when you get school-boy atheist questions like "who created god?" that are totally ineffective.

Questions like these were the ones that got me thinking.
Reply 66
onthejubileeline
100%. I'm very open to science on the issues concerning creation, as I do not go along with the 'traditional' Christian understanding of the literal 7 day creation.

I think I might just love you.
Jonk12345
Well I was a Christian for a large portion of my life, so I know what you mean when you get school-boy atheist questions like "who created god?" that are totally ineffective.

Questions like these were the ones that got me thinking.

Indeed, and I sympathise if you don't believe anymore, it's an unanswerable question, and it's certainly bothered me. I'm trying to just keep thinking and not follow blindly, because I do have doubts. But any believer who says that they don't have doubts is a liar!
Now I'm by no means an avid church goer (not been in years) nor do I agree with a lot of what the Bible has to say, but you have to look at some of the evidence. The world is absolutely beautiful and functions perfectly and quite precisely. Things like atomic structure are fine tuned and if things like that were even slightly different, the world and the universe would not even have begun. In fact, so many things are 'fine tuned' like this, it's very likely that there's a tuner - someone who made everything, whether that's an all powerful God, or a giant alien kid who's made us in a petri dish for a science project.
vas876
I think I might just love you.

Lol, a good a reason as any to love someone! :o:
onthejubileeline

Well I like to think that if God rid the world of suffering and evil (such as that guy recently that killed that baby that was found with teeth marks on it :frown:)we would not have free will to choose between right or wrong, and there would be no test to see whether we were good people or not on Earth. I'm not saying "hooray, starvation for people that don't deserve it" but "hmm I really don't know". It's not an acceptable answer on TSR, and I know I'll get bashed by atheists, but I believe anyway. I wasn't brainwashed by parents, they weren't really Christians, but I have read the Bible and chosen my path. Because I believe, I feel him in my heart. Not literally, in the atherosclerosis aneurysm about-to-die kinda way, but when I first accepted Jesus into my life, I felt a lot fuller and happier, as if something had been missing up to then.
Reply 71
Thasc
Imagine I have some kittens. I place these kittens into a sealed box with two tunnels leading out of it. One of these tunnels leads to me, and I would give them cuddles and kisses. The other tunnel leads to a conveyor belt that draws them inescapably into a slow, painful meat grinder. But I leave the choice of tunnel entirely up to them. Am I deserving of worship?

You make a good point. However, Christians would probably refute that by saying the kittens could easily peer down both tunnels before making a decision.

Either that, or that it wouldn't be between you and a meat grinder, it would be between you and absolutely nothing.

OR that there was no meat grinder, and you were willing to take them no matter what their choice.
Thasc
Imagine I have some kittens. I place these kittens into a sealed box with two tunnels leading out of it. One of these tunnels leads to me, and I would give them cuddles and kisses. The other tunnel leads to a conveyor belt that draws them inescapably into a slow, painful meat grinder. But I leave the choice of tunnel entirely up to them. Am I deserving of worship?

That's probability though, kittens don't make a conscious decision to be evil/die a painful death (I don't get your analogy at all). And no, you're putting kittens in boxes. Kittens can't do their best to do the right thing to help other kittens and aspire to be like Jesus. Also, I don't think kittens are capable of worshiping humans, as they're babies.

I think I'll go back to not posting about my faith now.
Reply 73
Thasc
But why install a meat grinder in the first place? What kind of twisted entity would conceive of such a thing, and how can it be seriously known as all-loving?

If you would permit me to turn this into an analogy; there is no such thing as darkness - only lack of light. In this way, God did not create a torture chamber in the form of 'hell', but merely created a place that he did not occupy, and by this act, left a place where evil and suffering could thrive.

Thasc

And what of kittens that cannot see down the tunnels? There are cultures out there that have simply never heard of Christianity, or never have sufficient exposure to it to form an opinion. Babies cannot be said to be Christian, as they are incapable of understanding the idea. I hear anguished mewls from my meat grinder...

Well, in this circumstance, I think some christians would refer you to my third point.

Thasc

Lacking my kisses and cuddles is, as most Christians would attest, comparable to the meat grinder.

Most CHRISTIANS would attest, but as of yet, most atheists are living without God in their lives perfectly happily. Hell would be no different.

Thasc

Which would be wonderful, and in such a circumstance I could respect such an entity. But it flies in the face of dogma.

I think you could place a substantial theological argument behind this point. Didn't Jesus die for the sins of ALL humanity? Hell may be a placed reserved only for those who reject God when they are confronted by him directly.
Jonk12345

knowing does not equate to causing. If I close my eyes while listening to a song I know the song is playing but I am not the one causing the song to be played.

So god grants us free will and allows us to play all of our games beneath the stars knowing exactly what we will do but allowing us to do it all the same because there's what free will is - the non-interference of god in the lives of individual people, then when we have done these things be they good or bad god judges us and we get a reward or a punishment.
Reply 75
invictus_veritas
knowing does not equate to causing. If I close my eyes while listening to a song I know the song is playing but I am not the one causing the song to be played.

So god grants us free will and allows us to play all of our games beneath the stars knowing exactly what we will do but allowing us to do it all the same because there's what free will is - the non-interference of god in the lives of individual people, then when we have done these things be they good or bad god judges us and we get a reward or a punishment.

Knowing = Our destinies our predetermined

Whether that relates to causation or not is irrelevant in this case. Destiny directly conflicts with free-will.

Don't really understand your music analogy.
Dior-perfume
everything seems so perfect and too convenient. when i learn things about the body for example in biology, i just think 'how convenient'. also take for example 'pioneer species'- so convenient they are able to colonise bare environments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_poor_design
Reply 77
Thasc

Ah, this is where I take my leave. I can't abide the deeper theology - without meaning to cause offense, it all seems like excuses piled upon excuses piled upon unsavoury parts of the Bible.

I'm merely presenting different interpretations (all, as far as my theological knowledge goes, are plausible). I know what you mean about 'excuses', but it seems to me that we are unfairly accepting a single interpretation at face value rather than examining what the truth of it actually is.

sorry if i weren't very clear- i am not arguing against the existence of God.
if you want me to elaborate i can.:o:
Dior-perfume
sorry if i weren't very clear- i am not arguing against the existence of God.
if you want me to elaborate i can.:o:

I was arguing against the existance of god...

Latest

Trending

Trending