The Student Room Group

my boyfriend is Muslim and i'm Catholic

we're both 16 and have been together for 6 months now but both of our parents are really unsupportive of us because we're from different religions. me and my boyfriend have already spoken about it and we're fine with it because we're willing to learn about each others religions and we accept each others beliefs. our dad's know each other and when they found out we're dating they agreed to force us to break up which we pretended to but we're still secretly together because we love each other obviously. my dad is really racist towards him and has threatened to leave me out of our family if i stay with my boyfriend. is it worth to leave my family for him? or are our parents right in saying that our relationship will never work out?

i can't find much advice on this topic so i'm hoping someone can give me some advice. thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Wow this is really sad. How can both men say they are religious but display so much hate :frown:. I’m very sorry you are going through this. I think you should stay with your boyfriend if you both truly love each other. However, it may be best to keep it secret for now- until you both can financially support yourselves- as I’m scared that you may be kicked out or he might be.
As a Catholic, I want to tell you that your religion is important and I’m glad you’re both open to learning about each other’s faith. But personally, other may disagree, I think it will be difficult especially if you have kids, because which faith would you raise them in? Both Catholicism and Islam may be introduced to them but if they choose one over the other, it’s human nature to not be happy with your child not choosing your own faith. Again this is only my opinion. But you’re still young, don’t make any rash decisions because you still have years left to live and to meet new people too. Family is so important too though, for most people. You may not feel it at the beginning, but eventually if you ever feel isolated, you might regret it. Have you thought about his family too? Family, culture and faith is really important in an Islam community too.

At the end of the day, it’s your life and only you know how you want to live it. Be happy but also, you’re young, don’t make any decisions just now
Original post by Anonymous
Wow this is really sad. How can both men say they are religious but display so much hate :frown:. I’m very sorry you are going through this. I think you should stay with your boyfriend if you both truly love each other. However, it may be best to keep it secret for now- until you both can financially support yourselves- as I’m scared that you may be kicked out or he might be.

i completely agree with you
As a Catholic, I want to tell you that your religion is important and I’m glad you’re both open to learning about each other’s faith. But personally, other may disagree, I think it will be difficult especially if you have kids, because which faith would you raise them in? Both Catholicism and Islam may be introduced to them but if they choose one over the other, it’s human nature to not be happy with your child not choosing your own faith. Again this is only my opinion. But you’re still young, don’t make any rash decisions because you still have years left to live and to meet new people too. Family is so important too though, for most people. You may not feel it at the beginning, but eventually if you ever feel isolated, you might regret it. Have you thought about his family too? Family, culture and faith is really important in an Islam community too.

At the end of the day, it’s your life and only you know how you want to live it. Be happy but also, you’re young, don’t make any decisions just now

tbh i'm not very religious so i wouldn't mind if my kids were Muslim and we've already said we won't force them into either religion, instead teach them about it and they can make their own decision. also i understand what your saying about family but it's really hard to choose because in this situation i need to pick either my family or my boyfriend because they won't accept me as they are really religious and the same goes for him as you mentioned. thank you for the advice.
we're both 16 and have been together for 6 months now but both of our parents are really unsupportive of us because we're from different religions. me and my boyfriend have already spoken about it and we're fine with it because we're willing to learn about each others religions and we accept each others beliefs. our dad's know each other and when they found out we're dating they agreed to force us to break up which we pretended to but we're still secretly together because we love each other obviously. my dad is really racist towards him and has threatened to leave me out of our family if i stay with my boyfriend. is it worth to leave my family for him? or are our parents right in saying that our relationship will never work out?

i can't find much advice on this topic so i'm hoping someone can give me some advice. thanks :smile:

tbh i'm not very religious so i wouldn't mind if my kids were Muslim and we've already said we won't force them into either religion, instead teach them about it and they can make their own decision. also i understand what your saying about family but it's really hard to choose because in this situation i need to pick either my family or my boyfriend because they won't accept me as they are really religious and the same goes for him as you mentioned. thank you for the advice.

Don't leave your family over some guy at age 16... Most likely, your boyfriend at age 16 isn't going to end up being your husband, there's no point in ruining your relationship with your parents for something temporary - no offence.

It's hard, but just carry on your relationship secretly & see where it goes.
well your parents are just strong on their religion which is completely understandable. if you however, really love each other talk to your parents both of you maturely and explain how you will follow your religions but you love each other too much so you can't break up otherwise you'll both be heartbroken. talk about the positives in the relationship and try to convince :wink: i am a catholic too :smile:
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
I support interfaith relationships and marriages.
Religion is only an issue when people make it an issue, usually in an attempt to impose it or use it as their weapon.

I'm lazy catholic and my best friend is a follower of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
We have both dated guys of a variety of religious beliefs and backgrounds.
I have a militant atheist father, conservative catholic mother and religious fanatic maternal grandmother.
My mother was raised in a brutal ultra-traditionalist catholic household that rejected vatican ii reforms, viewed medieval religion as perfect and the modern world as evil.
She married her soulmate and they have been together for more than 4 decades.
But her freedom came at a heavy price.
My mother was disinherited and almost beaten to death when she came home from uni to tell her family that she had decided to marry an atheist.
She never spoke to her father again and was banned from attending his funeral on his orders.

Put your health and safety first.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Don't put yourself in a position where you are a teenager at risk of homelessness or violent physical attack.
Nor an adult dependent upon hostile relatives to provide your with access to food and all the basics.

Your parents reactions and ultimatums show you some of the very worst elements present within your household.
Regardless of whether you continue with the relationship, you have a choice to make.
You need to ask yourself whether as an adult you want to continue remaining in contact with relatives that behave in this way.
Whether you are willing to allow the childhoods of any future children that you have to include seeing or hearing your parents noisy hostile attitudes, ultimatums, insults and threats.
Good luck!
Original post by gracieee16
well your parents are just strong on their religion which is completely understandable.
if you however, really love each other talk to your parents both of you maturely and explain how you will follow your religions but you love each other too much so you can't break up otherwise you'll both be heartbroken. talk about the positives in the relationship and try to convince :wink: i am a catholic too :smile:

The OP has also written that her father has been acting racist towards her bf.
That goes well beyond being harsh about religion and may involve criminal elements.

A vicious racist who is determined to impose their race hate upon other members of their household and family does not care whether those who disagree with their attitudes about race are heartbroken by their aggressive or sadistic conduct.
Religion may be a convenient smokescreen to hide behind in justification or as a weapon to use in their attacks.
But the main issue is race hate and a tyrannical racist's personal desire to have automatic obedience.
They can't be persuaded to behave normally.
Nor find enough self-control to calmly mind their own business or stay out of other people's private lives like a reasonable person would.
Original post by cringeoh
Are you White

Its like a Jew being with a Nazi German

You not paying attention to what they're doing? grooming gangs?

Are you serious? Go educate yourself
Please don't feed the pesky little bait troll.
The mods will issue yet another ban and remove the posts as soon as they recognise the ISP address. :cool:
You're not 16 years old for very long...your relationship should be fun especially at this stage in life. He would not be worth it to me.
You shouldn’t put him before your own family.
Original post by gracieee16
well your parents are just strong on their religion which is completely understandable. if you however, really love each other talk to your parents both of you maturely and explain how you will follow your religions but you love each other too much so you can't break up otherwise you'll both be heartbroken. talk about the positives in the relationship and try to convince :wink: i am a catholic too :smile:

the thing is our parents have both said they will never accept our relationship, and if we stay together we won't get any financial support, regardless if we are heartbroken. there is no way to convince either of our parents
Original post by londonmyst
The OP has also written that her father has been acting racist towards her bf.
That goes well beyond being harsh about religion and may involve criminal elements.

A vicious racist who is determined to impose their race hate upon other members of their household and family does not care whether those who disagree with their attitudes about race are heartbroken by their aggressive or sadistic conduct.
Religion may be a convenient smokescreen to hide behind in justification or as a weapon to use in their attacks.
But the main issue is race hate and a tyrannical racist's personal desire to have automatic obedience.
They can't be persuaded to behave normally.
Nor find enough self-control to calmly mind their own business or stay out of other people's private lives like a reasonable person would.

this is so accurate, my dad isn't even very religious but uses religion to justify himself. also no matter how much i try to convince him he will never listen to me and won't leave me alone until he gets his way.
Original post by londonmyst
I understand some of how you feel. :smile:
I support interfaith relationships and marriages.
Religion is only an issue when people make it an issue, usually in an attempt to impose it or use it as their weapon.

I'm lazy catholic and my best friend is a follower of the shia islamic sect led by the aga khan.
We have both dated guys of a variety of religious beliefs and backgrounds.
I have a militant atheist father, conservative catholic mother and religious fanatic maternal grandmother.
My mother was raised in a brutal ultra-traditionalist catholic household that rejected vatican ii reforms, viewed medieval religion as perfect and the modern world as evil.
She married her soulmate and they have been together for more than 4 decades.
But her freedom came at a heavy price.
My mother was disinherited and almost beaten to death when she came home from uni to tell her family that she had decided to marry an atheist.
She never spoke to her father again and was banned from attending his funeral on his orders.

Put your health and safety first.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you.
Don't put yourself in a position where you are a teenager at risk of homelessness or violent physical attack.
Nor an adult dependent upon hostile relatives to provide your with access to food and all the basics.

Your parents reactions and ultimatums show you some of the very worst elements present within your household.
Regardless of whether you continue with the relationship, you have a choice to make.
You need to ask yourself whether as an adult you want to continue remaining in contact with relatives that behave in this way.
Whether you are willing to allow the childhoods of any future children that you have to include seeing or hearing your parents noisy hostile attitudes, ultimatums, insults and threats.
Good luck!

thank you, this was very helpful!
If you feel ze love, keep lovn. Parents don't always know what's best for their children. Keep it a secret and lie to your parents that you've broken up so they don't speak about it again.
Original post by zuluwarrior7650
If you feel ze love, keep lovn. Parents don't always know what's best for their children. Keep it a secret and lie to your parents that you've broken up so they don't speak about it again.

okay that's what i'm planning to do but one day they'll eventually find out but i hope it's not soon

If u really love him and he loves u than just stay together but keep it low key.
Ur mum and ur dad arent allowed to make choices for u, like who u get married to.thats just a recipe for a life with deppression.you have to be strong enough to choose what u want
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending