The Student Room Group

Islam and converting...

I'm not sure where to ask this, hence why im coming on here for this but I have felt a pull towards Islam for a while now, (i'm in year 12 for reference) so much so that i was incredibly invested in RS GCSE and bought a Quran under the veil that it was for my GCSE revision (it wasn't, it was for my own self). I was so invested during this time that i ended up getting a 9 in my RS GCSE lol...

anyway, I have felt a strong pull towards Islam and I don't know how to go about this as of course there is a lot of islamophobia around and my family are christian and people don't look at converts nicely a lot of the time...

Also, i do currently eat pork which i know is haram and i want to cut it out but my family may get suspicious if i suddenly quit 'cold turkey' so to speak... so if my intentions are right but my actions can't follow it for the time being because of other reasons, is that bad?

any advice is much appreciated...
Hi there,

I am a born muslim, also year 12, and I know quite a few reverts. Firstly I am so happy for you and just know how insanely special you are to be even considering islam. There is a lot that comes with islam, and Allah (swt) has of course taken all of that into account and he knows how hard it is for people because he is the all knowing.

I know that families can take it really hard when someone says that they are muslim and all the pregidous that comes with it, but dont let that put you off because if you feel that special pull towards islam then dont let it fade out because you have been chosen in MILLIONS to even feel that and Allah (swt) has allowed your eyes to be opened to the beauty of islam. You could keep it under wraps if you do revert until you feel comfortable enough to tell people.

To revert you would first have to read the shahadah, and this can be read with someone you know who is a muslim, or at a mosque (and depending on if you are a guy or a girl it would be in a certain area of the mosque too). Then (preferably at the mosque) you could ask the imam about the rueling on something like this as I dont know what they really are food wise. Personally I would say tell your family your a vegitarian and trying it out or something because that way they might not force meat on you that isnt halal, but like I said, im not an expert so idrk.

Sorry this sounds so childish but I really am trying. I hope this helps even in the slightest and you can always dm me if you want more information because I would be happy to help.

All the best and inshallah everything works out for you x
Reply 2
Original post by wavetovenus
I'm not sure where to ask this, hence why im coming on here for this but I have felt a pull towards Islam for a while now, (i'm in year 12 for reference) so much so that i was incredibly invested in RS GCSE and bought a Quran under the veil that it was for my GCSE revision (it wasn't, it was for my own self). I was so invested during this time that i ended up getting a 9 in my RS GCSE lol...

anyway, I have felt a strong pull towards Islam and I don't know how to go about this as of course there is a lot of islamophobia around and my family are christian and people don't look at converts nicely a lot of the time...

Also, i do currently eat pork which i know is haram and i want to cut it out but my family may get suspicious if i suddenly quit 'cold turkey' so to speak... so if my intentions are right but my actions can't follow it for the time being because of other reasons, is that bad?

Hi, do you have any Muslim friends you could ask for advice/support?

Do you know how your family might react? Often we fear the worst but parents are mostly welcoming and accommodating!

Not sure about your particular query: some online Q&A with respectable scholars would be worth looking into.

If you need anything, don’t hesitate to pm!
Original post by Tatakae L
Hi there,
I am a born muslim, also year 12, and I know quite a few reverts. Firstly I am so happy for you and just know how insanely special you are to be even considering islam. There is a lot that comes with islam, and Allah (swt) has of course taken all of that into account and he knows how hard it is for people because he is the all knowing.
I know that families can take it really hard when someone says that they are muslim and all the pregidous that comes with it, but dont let that put you off because if you feel that special pull towards islam then dont let it fade out because you have been chosen in MILLIONS to even feel that and Allah (swt) has allowed your eyes to be opened to the beauty of islam. You could keep it under wraps if you do revert until you feel comfortable enough to tell people.
To revert you would first have to read the shahadah, and this can be read with someone you know who is a muslim, or at a mosque (and depending on if you are a guy or a girl it would be in a certain area of the mosque too). Then (preferably at the mosque) you could ask the imam about the rueling on something like this as I dont know what they really are food wise. Personally I would say tell your family your a vegitarian and trying it out or something because that way they might not force meat on you that isnt halal, but like I said, im not an expert so idrk.
Sorry this sounds so childish but I really am trying. I hope this helps even in the slightest and you can always dm me if you want more information because I would be happy to help.
All the best and inshallah everything works out for you x

thank you so much for your kind words, it's a big thing to come to terms with and i think a lot of muslim-born people don't understand how hard it is, especially when you were brought up to have a different faith. 🥹

especially since ramadan is soon i want to do more and stay away from haram things so i think i will try with saying i'm vegetarian for now!! thank you for that idea!

my mums side of the family are very devout christians and my dad is atheist but islamophobic so it will be very hard telling them at least whilst i live at home, so i'll probably have to keep it under wraps with them until i go to university. but thankfully i have understanding friends.

unfortunately the only close muslim friend i've had moved away and i don't feel close enough to my muslim friend who goes to my current sixth form so i'm not sure how i can manage to properly revert yet :frown:

i will at least do all that i can for now to get closer to Allah - thank you again for your kindness 🥰
thank you so much for your kind words, it's a big thing to come to terms with and i think a lot of muslim-born people don't understand how hard it is, especially when you were brought up to have a different faith. 🥹
especially since ramadan is soon i want to do more and stay away from haram things so i think i will try with saying i'm vegetarian for now!! thank you for that idea!
my mums side of the family are very devout christians and my dad is atheist but islamophobic so it will be very hard telling them at least whilst i live at home, so i'll probably have to keep it under wraps with them until i go to university. but thankfully i have understanding friends.
unfortunately the only close muslim friend i've had moved away and i don't feel close enough to my muslim friend who goes to my current sixth form so i'm not sure how i can manage to properly revert yet :frown:
i will at least do all that i can for now to get closer to Allah - thank you again for your kindness 🥰
Aww I would do it anytime. I really hope everything goes well for you and like I said, if you need help with anything, anything at all you can dm me or i can give you my email ect.

My freind is also struggeling to tell her mum but thats fine because if you know you are a muslim, then that is enough.

Also you can revert on your own too. Like you can pull up a youtube video of the shahadah and say it and repeat it and bang you will be muslim inshallah. Then after that if you want to go to a mosque and do it there too then you can but you dont have too!

I really hope I helped and agian, if you need anything, anything at all, do not hesitate to contact me <3
Reply 5

Allah may guide you sister.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending