The Student Room Group

Mckinsey PST

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It would be much much much better than nothing or something unrelated.
Reply 41
crafty bison
1st tier: MBB
2nd tier: Oliver Wyman, Monitor, Roland Berger, possibly OC&C; anyone similar that I've forgotten

What about Accenture then?
Round about the 9th tier?

Seriously, though, they are very much a technology company, you have to keep in mind that they are not the same kettle of fish at all.
jamz0770
Alright sounds fair enough. I have however noticed none of the second tier consultancies do a placement year either. So I guess thats out of the question as it would be pointless to do at a 3rd tier as wouldnt look great to MBB?

Consulting doesn't have the "internship tradition" that IB does; however, because of the sheer volume of stellar applicants, consultancies are now differentiating candidates by high-calibre work experience (for graduates, most evident through an internship). Therefore, the best thing to do is get an internship at a high-reputation firm, not necessarily in consulting. Just something with a good firm that demonstrates you have done hard work before and are commercially driven and, possibly most importantly, simply to show you were good enough to get on a competitive internship.
crafty bison
Consulting doesn't have the "internship tradition" that IB does; however, because of the sheer volume of stellar applicants, consultancies are now differentiating candidates by high-calibre work experience (for graduates, most evident through an internship). Therefore, the best thing to do is get an internship at a high-reputation firm, not necessarily in consulting. Just something with a good firm that demonstrates you have done hard work before and are commercially driven and, possibly most importantly, simply to show you were good enough to get on a competitive internship.

This is 100% spot on.
crafty bison

Ditto the ditto. But also, the key word is 'commercially'. IB internships are not particularly useful, they may tick the competitive box, but aren't particularly relevant. An internship with Shell, Phillips, IBM etc (no idea if they do them - any global company) is likely to give greater insight into the business world and is therefore more relevant. That's why Top 5 uni + IB internship can be 'beaten' by top 10 uni + high level commercial experience.
Reply 46
threeportdrift
Ditto the ditto. But also, the key word is 'commercially'. IB internships are not particularly useful, they may tick the competitive box, but aren't particularly relevant. An internship with Shell, Phillips, IBM etc (no idea if they do them - any global company) is likely to give greater insight into the business world and is therefore more relevant. That's why Top 5 uni + IB internship can be 'beaten' by top 10 uni + high level commercial experience.

Thanks but I'm slightly confused by what you mean high level commercial experience?

I suppose an IB internship would leave options more open too as MC's take people with IB Internships but I guess they are less leniant the other way round?
jamz0770
Thanks but I'm slightly confused by what you mean high level commercial experience?

I suppose an IB internship would leave options more open too as MC's take people with IB Internships but I guess they are less leniant the other way round?

An IB internship leaves options more open if you are considering working for IBs as well as making MC applications. However, if you are set on a career in MC, then getting an internship or work experience with a global company (looking at operations management, performance measurement, change management, policy etc) will put you in a position at least as good, if not better than having and IB internship on your CV.
Reply 48
//Mike
Yeah, great news. I like the sound of the 'Festive Case Study Workshop'... it makes one think that Santa and his elves might have a problem with declining profits...

So McK said in their email "Business attire is preferred for interviews however you may attend the workshop in casual wear." Do you reckon you'll rock up in a suit or in jeans and a jacket? I don't know what to wear. I prefer the latter option, but don't want to feel underdressed in comparison to all the other interviewees...
Go In A Suit.
Reply 50
I wore a suit. Every exam I've done over the last 4 years has been in 'sub fusc', and before then I did exams in school uniform.. hell I even passed my driving test wearing sensible shoes... smart just feels more appropriate.
Reply 51
went in smart casual + tie, was fine. vast majority rocked up in suits (unnecessary) a few in jeans and t's (underdressed). interviews have begun i hear, definitely wearing a suit to that. how is everyone else preparing? i've watched a few case studies on dvd's but that's all i've done so far...
Reply 52
which DVDs in particular?
Reply 53
DVDs? Didn't know there were any on cases..
I'm just going through the vault guide but tbh, I think it complicates things more than it needs to..It is more geared at MBA students in the US applying for associate positions
Reply 54
yeah i definitely think you can overprepare and hurt yourself.

i watched an official mckinsey interview dvd, which had some McK partner interviewing an applicant and going through the different points, then i watched an official Bain dvd which was more or less the same...
Hey! Have this coming soon. What should I wear when going to do a PST? Suit is a must on the next stages but how about this, I mean it is just a test. What did you wear?
Reply 56
petepetepete
Hey! Have this coming soon. What should I wear when going to do a PST? Suit is a must on the next stages but how about this, I mean it is just a test. What did you wear?

Doesn't matter, you walk in sit down in a room with 20 candidates, take the test, leave. Smart casual is appropriate.
Hey, in case you guys want a "Practice PST", here you have it!
http://www.mconsultingprep.com/problem-solving-test
Reply 58
Original post by tourist
Doesn't matter, you walk in sit down in a room with 20 candidates, take the test, leave. Smart casual is appropriate.

I made the test on my own, wore a suit for that reason.

BTW, a lot of McKinsey PST practice material is right here:

http://www.caseinterviewhq.com/2011/12/10/mckinsey-pst-problem-solving-test/
Anyone looking for additional PST practice material and tips please PM me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending