The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why the hell do I need to rationalize?

I like it, simple.

Much like i like smoking, and i don't need to rationalize that either. Lol
Reply 21
I am human, human's have had meat in there diets for millions of years.

I am an animal who eat's other animals.

Therefore I will eat as much meat as I want.
Reply 22
you spelt rationalise wrong OP
Reply 23
birdsong1
Face it, humans like to eat meat, and the species divider is convenient. Humans also like to rationalize, so we'll come up with all sorts of crackpot moral theories on why it's okay to kill non-humans, but not humans.

All these theories (besides being highly arbitrary anyway) fail because we're too similar to animals in all respects. A theory based on intelligence will fail because some of us aren't more intelligent than animals (think babies). A theory based on potential intelligence will similarly fail (think brain damaged people). A theory based on our knowledge of morality will fail not only because some of us don't have said knowledge, but because animals can be taught right/wrong in the same sense as a child can.

In the end, it comes down to the two facts I outlined at beginning. We like to eat meat, and saying "it's okay to kill only nonhumans" is easy and conveniently gets us the juicy bones. Trying to justify it in any other way is just deluding yourself.

There are plenty of other arguments, such as: 'we are stronger than they are' or 'it is natural and quite necessary to eat meat'.

Then there is also the slight problem of differences in intelligence between people - some are more intelligent than others (thus can we rule that only they could kill animals). The issue that you raise does not relate to the individual intelligence of a human, but to the average intelligence of humanity - and i think that we have a higher IQ than most animals (save dolphins and mice :wink: )
Reply 24
loveina
OP, u aren't blessed - the feeling of guilt when u kill animals
u aren't a vegan anyway

I'm actually a full-on meat eater. I'm eating tuna right now. I'm just pointing out there's no consistent moral theory that allows one to kill animals but not humans, and that anyone who tries to make one is doing nothing but heavily, misguidedly, rationalizing their om nom nom of delicious muscle. (In a full-blown state of denial as well.)

---

For those who say "no justification is required", well, yeah, in the same sense that no justification is required to murder someone.

Killing a pig, killing certain humans (like babies or severely brain damaged people), not all that different when you think about it.
Reply 25
birdsong1
I'm actually a full-on meat eater. I'm eating tuna right now. I'm just pointing out there's no consistent moral theory that allows one to kill animals but not humans, and that anyone who tries to make one is doing nothing but heavily, misguidedly, rationalizing their om nom nom of delicious muscle. (In a full-blown state of denial as well.)

---

For those who say "no justification is required", well, yeah, in the same sense that no justification is required to murder someone.

Killing a pig, killing certain humans (like babies or severely brain damaged people), not all that different when you think about it.

Not the most free-thinking person in the world, are you? Have you ever thought that there is an instant benefit to killing a pig, but none to killing a baby?
Reply 26
DAFOne

Then there is also the slight problem of differences in intelligence between people - some are more intelligent than others (thus can we rule that only they could kill animals). The issue that you raise does not relate to the individual intelligence of a human, but to the average intelligence of humanity - and i think that we have a higher IQ than most animals (save dolphins and mice :wink: )

Why is the line drawn at the species level in particular? The average IQ of white people is greater than that of black people, so why aren't white people morally allowed to kill black people?
Reply 27
DAFOne
Not the most free-thinking person in the world, are you? Have you ever thought that there is an instant benefit to killing a pig, but none to killing a baby?

Technically, you could eat the baby, so a cannibal, for example, would have an "instant benefit".

(Are you sure you're not the one whose free-thinking is limited? :wink:)
i dont try to justify it, i accept that i am a bad person for eating meat lol
birdsong1
Why is the line drawn at the species level in particular? The average IQ of white people is greater than that of black people, so why aren't white people morally allowed to kill black people?

firstly: sentience

secondly: those studies into race and IQ have been heavily discredited
Reply 30
Depends how you define moral. Animals generally don't kill/eat their own species! If they did then they probably wouldn't evolve far enough for them to become anything. Surely killing your own species could never be called moral. Same can't be said for eating a different species.
Reply 31
Barden
firstly: sentience

secondly: those studies into race and IQ have been heavily discredited

thirdly: we are the same species......

SCIENCE FAIL

I think you misread. I was asking why the line would be drawn at the species level in particular, rather than at another, so your comment that "we are the same species" doesn't help much. And while the race and intelligence crap is discredited, it is undeniable that the average IQ of black people is less than that of white people. The other person was talking about "the average intelligence of species" and using IQ as a synonym, so it was natural to ask that question.

Lastly, in what sense is a pig less "sentient" than a human?
Reply 32
birdsong1

Might I point out that black people are people as well? Just as white people are people as well.

It all comes down to the utility of the killing. If it is useful and quite necessary in the hunter-gatherer sense, go ahead! If, on the other hand you kill because you feel like it (Lord of the Flies-like) then there is a moral problem... you would not eat a black man (most people would not eat a black man - and not because he's black) and you would probably not eat an elephant or a dog... so there is no reason to kill black men, elephants or dogs. You would on the other hand eat bacon, steak, tuna and caviar so a reason ensues.

birdsong1
Technically, you could eat the baby, so a cannibal, for example, would have an "instant benefit".

(Are you sure you're not the one whose free-thinking is limited? :wink:)

Umm... how many cannibals do you know? How many people that eat pork do you know?

Again, we are talking about the general good - not the benefit of one or two psychos in Germany.
birdsong1
I think you misread. I was asking why the line would be drawn at the species level in particular, rather than at another, so your comment that "we are the same species" doesn't help much. And while the race and intelligence crap is discredited, it is undeniable that the average IQ of black people is less than that of white people. The other person was talking about "the average intelligence of species" and using IQ as a synonym, so it was natural to ask that question.

Lastly, in what sense is a pig less "sentient" than a human?

It is also undeniable that IQ tests are culturally biased, that IQ can easily be trained and therefore blacks who have to walk three miles each day to drink dirty water are not going to be as well suited to these tests than white people who get driven to school in their mum's 4x4, and that IQ is a crap measure of overall intelligence.
Reply 34
SsEe
Animals generally don't kill/eat their own species! If they did then they probably wouldn't evolve far enough for them to become anything.

In case you forgot, even humans have cannibals, and much more commonly, humans kill other humans, so unless you're calling us "nothing"...
Pickford
No animals eat other animals for survival. I haven't seen any of those vegetarian lions, tigers, foxes, dogs, cats.
About concious thoughts, i'm going by what i've heard. That is how we learn.
Eating people is wrong because we believe it so, you paraphrased a bit there. Why don't people go around stealing stuff from everyone? Becuase it is against the law. Why is it against the law? Becuase it is seen as a wrong thing to do.

I can't argue with someone this dense.
Reply 36
Smack
It is also undeniable that IQ tests are culturally biased, that IQ can easily be trained and therefore blacks who have to walk three miles each day to drink dirty water are not going to be as well suited to these tests than white people who get driven to school in their mum's 4x4, and that IQ is a crap measure of overall intelligence.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. You've missed my wisecrack (that phrase for a joke that requires knowledge is on the back of my mind, but eluding me) and, to a lesser extent, my point.
Reply 37
birdsong1
In case you forgot, even humans have cannibals, and much more commonly, humans kill other humans, so unless you're calling us "nothing"...

You fail to understand "generally". Of course there are the odd ones. But overall, it doesn't happen. If the laws against murder were removed, they wouldn't start happening left right and centre. Even in 1000 years time when the human race had gotten used to the idea, it wouldn't be common. That's because it's built in at a level much more fundamental than "it's the law so I won't". This is what annoys me about religous people who claim all morals must come from religion/god.

If lions viewed other lions as fair game for eating, they probably wouldn't exist anymore.
Reply 38
paddyman4
I can't argue with someone this dense.

I don't believe what you believe which makes me dense. Nice.
How am I at all wrong?

"Har har, derp. I call sum1 namers on da internetz. ppls lyk me"
Reply 39
We are humans. We can't allow/justify the killing of ourselves else the whole world falls into chaos. We need to preserve our species.
All other animals are not essential to maintaining civilisation.
Therefore, all animals that aren't endangered/threatened should be consumed to further our species.

The problem with OP and friends is that they develop a stupid "emotional" bond with all animals which clouds their logic. All animals die, we are just speeding up the process! Besides, we are the most important species on this planet. Without us, there is no chance of escaping once the sun blows up.

Latest

Trending

Trending