The Student Room Group

Economics vs Computer Science

Don't know were to else to put this.

Ok. So I have narrowed down my choices to Economics and Computer Science. My dilleme is that with Economics I can only get into places like Surrey, Queen Mary Royal Holloway ( I want to stay in London or near)

With Computer Science I may be able to get into ( UCL, Warwick, Kings and maybe Imperial) So My question is: I am interested in both, but which would give be better career prospects especially to get into banks.

Its either middle class for Economics or Top for Computer Science. If I went for Computer Science could I do a Masters in Finance.

Thanks in advance.

p.s A-level: Maths Biology Economics, Chemistry AS ( AAAa)
GCSE:A*A*A*AAAAAB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone. I really need to send off my application. Thank you
Reply 2
narc
your grades aren't bad, i dont think you'd be restricted to just the 'middle class' unis for economics

I want to stay in London, so UCL, LSE, Warwick ( out of london I know) are then out of my reach.

I just wont have a good time out of London.

So what do you think.
Reply 3
you really want them A*s for maths if you want to do either. i'm doing compsci, and it's not an easy course. i heard from econ people that their course is a beast as well, so you should first of all be aiming for that A*.

it depends on what subject you wanna do, not where you wanna stay, but just to answer your question, yes, a lot of computer science grads, in fact, most of them, go into finance after their degree. i dunno about other unis, but in UCL, we have a trading floor and we get to learn computer finance in our 2nd and 3rd years, just to speciallise a bit. people with degrees in geography go into banks as well, so it's really open.
my views will be biased obviously, because i do compsci, but i say go for the computer, because you'll get a bank career anyway, but you'll also have a wider range of career options should you choose to drop out of banking
Reply 4
unikq
you really want them A*s for maths if you want to do either. i'm doing compsci, and it's not an easy course. i heard from econ people that their course is a beast as well, so you should first of all be aiming for that A*.

it depends on what subject you wanna do, not where you wanna stay, but just to answer your question, yes, a lot of computer science grads, in fact, most of them, go into finance after their degree. i dunno about other unis, but in UCL, we have a trading floor and we get to learn computer finance in our 2nd and 3rd years, just to speciallise a bit. people with degrees in geography go into banks as well, so it's really open.
my views will be biased obviously, because i do compsci, but i say go for the computer, because you'll get a bank career anyway, but you'll also have a wider range of career options should you choose to drop out of banking

I am on a gap year, and took the exams when only A was the highest. Will this put me at a disadvatage. UCL ask for AAA-AAB, with an A in maths.

Also could you tell me about Computer Science.
Reply 5
Tbh why dont you just do a joint honours?
Computer science with economics...
There are some around at good universities...?
The_question
I want to stay in London, so UCL, LSE, Warwick ( out of london I know) are then out of my reach.

I just wont have a good time out of London.

So what do you think.

Warwick is not in london, and if you want to stay in london that badly then thats upto you but settling for a not 20 top uni with those grades for economics would be stupid. You might aswell do CS.
Reply 7
mutley92
Tbh why dont you just do a joint honours?
Computer science with economics...
There are some around at good universities...?

What Uni's do this, I haven't seen that combination.
Reply 8
mutley92

Cock.

I don't think that's appropriate.
Reply 10
Not sure but most of the Joint courses are at less "renound" universities and with those grade you're probably better off going for either or not a combination of both. Aberystwyth sounds good though so Idk.
JamesyB
Not sure but most of the Joint courses are at less "renound" universities and with those grade you're probably better off going for either or not a combination of both. Aberystwyth sounds good though so Idk.

that sucks man, i don't get what's so bad about joint degrees.
Reply 14
The_question
I am on a gap year, and took the exams when only A was the highest. Will this put me at a disadvatage. UCL ask for AAA-AAB, with an A in maths.

Also could you tell me about Computer Science.

Yes, this will put you at a disadvantage, unless you have very nice UMS marks. that was why there was that crazy uni applications inflation this year, because people didn't want their applications to be read against A* applications. but that aside, if you got what UCL asked for, they'll most likely invite you to an interview an you'll prob get a space.

computer science at UCL is very practical based, i think, and despite what they say, it's good to have some kind of background knowledge. i went in with very little (did some programming but that was about it), to find myself in a class of 60 who seemed to have been born with a computer attached to their hands.
i haven't really done much, as i did a gap year as well, and this is my first year, but looking at the course for a year, i'm going to have to be very patient about doing anything to do with the banks until next year. we do very basic computer stuff, lots of thinking, lots of work, lots of everything, but hey, who said it was an easy degree?

Those Uni's are so out of London that they are not even in England.

But seriously people, I really need advice.
Reply 16

economics and computer science degrees don't differ that much in requirements. go for computer science at UCL,ICL,KCL or econ at those plus LSE. you'll defo get KCL, you might get UCL. no offence to those unis, but there's no point in aiming low with those grades.
unikq
Yes, this will put you at a disadvantage, unless you have very nice UMS marks. that was why there was that crazy uni applications inflation this year, because people didn't want their applications to be read against A* applications. but that aside, if you got what UCL asked for, they'll most likely invite you to an interview an you'll prob get a space.

computer science at UCL is very practical based, i think, and despite what they say, it's good to have some kind of background knowledge. i went in with very little (did some programming but that was about it), to find myself in a class of 60 who seemed to have been born with a computer attached to their hands.
i haven't really done much, as i did a gap year as well, and this is my first year, but looking at the course for a year, i'm going to have to be very patient about doing anything to do with the banks until next year. we do very basic computer stuff, lots of thinking, lots of work, lots of everything, but hey, who said it was an easy degree?

Can I ask you what your grades are.
Reply 18
The_question
Can I ask you what your grades are.

AAAbc

but you have to bear in mind that my competition didn't have any stars either. if you have good UMS, it'll be fine, but have in mind that other people are gonna start coming to london unis with strings of A*'s now
unikq
AAAbc

but you have to bear in mind that my competition didn't have any stars either. if you have good UMS, it'll be fine, but have in mind that other people are gonna start coming to london unis with strings of A*'s now

How would Uni's know my UMS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending