The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
susiemakemeblue
I don't have a reading list yet. :frown: I think my uni is really disorganised.

I know, I'm doing the same course - tried looking on the internet and there seems to be a different reading list depending on which seminar group you end up. I intend to take advantage of this lack of organisation by reading the new Harry Potter book and the whole four books in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy :biggrin:
suzy2512
I applied to uni (but decided not to go) when i left school and i only received my reading list once i'd met my conditional offer. Not sure if this is still the case...?

My offer is unconditional though. :frown:
Reply 42
My offer was unconditional, and I only got my reading list after results day in the summer. I assume they prefer to send everything out together, as its much easier.
Reply 43
I am reading the Odyssey and Loving it. (It's a prose edition). I feel well smart.
Reply 44
_Ellie
I am reading the Odyssey and Loving it. (It's a prose edition). I feel well smart.

I really liked the Odyssey (more than the Iliad anyway :biggrin:), except we had to read a verse translation which was horrible :frown:
Reply 45
oo you've inspired me to read my version which is sitting on the shelf.
Reply 46
~Jen~
I really liked the Odyssey (more than the Iliad anyway :biggrin:), except we had to read a verse translation which was horrible :frown:

Which verse translation? I like most of the verse translations that are available; although I'm not that keen on Chapman's Odyssey (his Iliad, however, is magnificent).
Reply 47
svidrigailov
Which verse translation? I like most of the verse translations that are available; although I'm not that keen on Chapman's Odyssey (his Iliad, however, is magnificent).

Lattimore's... would probably have enjoyed it more if we hadn't had to rush through it so much :rolleyes:
does anyone know the reading list for sussex?? i can only find 2004 on the website?
mousey
I only have a firm, so this sin't a problem for me. I'm really excited about my reading list, there's quite a variety on there and it doesn't seem too heavy. The novels i have to read include,

'Things Fall Apart' by China Achebe
'Frankenstein' by Mary Shelley
'The Bloody Chamber' by Angela Carter
'Paradise Lost' by Milton
'To the Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf.

The other texts are mainly reference books. Some Anglo Saxon, i've bought, 'The Cambridge Old English Reader' which is written by my soon-to-be lecturer, which is a bit exciting. I've read Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf and would recommend it if it's on your reading list. xx

The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter is amazing! I read it at school and had to go and buy it after, it was that good!
i've just found out that one of my books is £102.35 on Amazon... *cries(

ne idea where i can get:
Strang, B., 1970. A History of English , London : Routledge
cheaper than that????

(and i thought 31.99 was bad!)
Reply 51
pixiepeep
i've just found out that one of my books is £102.35 on Amazon... *cries(

ne idea where i can get:
Strang, B., 1970. A History of English , London : Routledge
cheaper than that????

(and i thought 31.99 was bad!)

:eek:

Is it an essential text??

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/ <- looked it up and apparently you can get it from amazon.com for $73 (£40). But it might be better to wait until you get to uni and then see how necessary it is to own your own copy

The most I've ever paid for any textbook is £29.99 so far... £102 is half as much as my entire first year reading list!!
Reply 52
The Oxford list is easier than I thought. I've spent about 250 quid getting all the 'essential' books though. English is expeeeensive.
Reply 53
anycon
The Oxford list is easier than I thought. I've spent about 250 quid getting all the 'essential' books though. English is expeeeensive.

so what kind of things are on your list? english is expensive, the difficult thing is getting the right editions they want, otherwise it'd probably be cheaper!
Reply 54
sophieD
so what kind of things are on your list? english is expensive, the difficult thing is getting the right editions they want, otherwise it'd probably be cheaper!

Yeah, no £1.50 penguin classics in sight... :mad:
Reply 55
I've got a couple of books for a penny. ooo yeah. xx
Reply 56
LondonSteve181
Thank you to whoever pointed out the 2nd year reading list for Manchester lol, thanx! The module 'culture and identity' is level 2 not one, sorry.

Steve

Hey sSteve, glad you spotted that was a 2nd year reading list not a 1st year one. I'm just starting reading through that!

English @ Manchester.. Last year the two compulsory modules were Reading LIterature and Contexts of Writing. As far as i know it'll be the same this year. things i read if you want a head start are:

Reading Lit
Joseph Conrad - Heart of Darkness
Oscar Wilde - Lady Windemere's fan
Samuel Beckett - Waiting for Godot
Errr.. memory is hazy, I didnt bother with much in the first semester...sorry

Contexts of Writing
Toni Morrison- Beloved
Shakespeare - Henry V
Margaret atwood - The Handmaids Tale
E M Forster - Howards End
Chinua Achebe - Things fall Apart

You also have poetry and articles to read in conjunction with these texts but theyre all given to you in the course booklet that you have to buy for 50p when you get there.

Hope this helps. Jenna
Reply 57
I was planning on starting on the list on holiday. But I had such a great time and ended up not reading a single word of a single book! So yeah, the next few weeks should be fun...
Reply 58
I'm just starting Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, it seems really interesting so far. xx
Reply 59
ive just read Endgame and Catastrophe by Beckett, and a bit of Edgar Allan Poe. They were quite short which is always good! lol

Latest

Trending

Trending