The Student Room Group

European Centralists

On behalf of the Republic of Ireland I invite those countries currently in the EU and those within greater Europe to join together with the aims of Making the World Work. We centralised, democratic nations with our single currency may choose to remain neutral, but lets remain neutral in friendship. Our main will be to continue working within the EU, striving for a better future for all nations. We look at domestic problems but also extend our hand of friendship to those less fortunate in the world. We will achieve these aims through the Model UN.

As the late Pope John Paul said, "Let us go forward, Lets us reflect on the past with gratitude, Let us act on the present with enthusiasm, and Let us look forward to the future with hope."

Scroll to see replies

Poland would be very interested in this :smile: she is in no position to be involved in any kind of major conflict but also would not like to be, Poland would like to remain nuetral whilst extending a hand of friendship to others, although as her economic situation isn't brilliant, such friendship could mainly involve political support as opposed to financial aid for the time being. However Poland would be happy to try and help financially as far as is possible :smile:

What a nice idea :biggrin:
Reply 2
Ireland is pleased with Poland's enthusiasm for the idea and hopes the two nations can work to bring the ideal to more nations. Economic support is not always neccesary and sometimes words can appear as loud as actions.
Reply 3
Bosnia and Herzegovina would be delighted to join with other countries in the European Centralists Scheme. The country would like extend it's hand of friendship to others, althought it does not have that much money to give to other less fortunate countries, as we were the poorest Republic in the Old Yugoslav Federation, next to the Former Republic of Macedonia. Any help that will be given will only be political friendship, for the time being.
Reply 4
At the present time, following the London Bombings, there have been a number of attacks upon Mosque and one on a Sikh temple. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4674079.stm
The European Centralists would like to condemn these attacks and urge the need for restraint in the period following these Bombings. We support the police's efforts to curb religious violence and would urge our own nations to do the same. Religious hatred has caused severe fissions in most civilised societies over the past a hundred years. The wounds of violence last longer than those that are only skin deep. Let us do something to heal those wounds now.
Reply 5
The United Red Front hopes that the European Centralists can work well with our member states, especially our European members such as Bulgaria to make a viable Europe.
Reply 6
The European Centralists would certainly be interested in extending our hand of friendship to the Nations of the United Red Front, but please alllow a period of time so we can establish ourselves in the international community first.
Reply 7
It has been a while since my last or indeed anyones post here, but I hope all members will unite in front of the First Scenario as posted by the honourable Secratary General.

This scenario in the Middle East affects the whole area due to the uncertainty and the instability in the region. There are many cultures who have for years been trying to live together through unrest, violence and invasios. This assasination threatens to upset the latest promising stides towards peace shown through the Gaza pullout and cooperation of Sunni and Shi'ites in Iraq.

How do we, as a group of nations, feel about that? We want to help, we do not wish to pry but even so this situation requires an international effort to ensure it cumulates in peace.
Is this an appropriate place for Monaco to request consideration for acceptance into the EU? If so, we would like to do so. If not, this statement void.
Reply 9
We (Ireland, Poland and FYRMacedonia) are all nations within Europe however only the former two are in the EU. Ireland would certainly be happy to consider Monaco's application to join the EU figuring it can contribute enormously to the orginization despite its apparent size and sature. But thowever as we do not have an TSR EU I dont think it is possible to formally submit your proposal.
Reply 10
No TSR EU, no application. Sorry.

May I add I thought Monaco had the privelige of being part of the EU but under the banner of France :confused:
Reply 11
Thats interesting seen as it is recognised as a seperate nation. does the same apply for San Marino as far as you are aware?
Reply 12
fr_browne
Thats interesting seen as it is recognised as a seperate nation. does the same apply for San Marino as far as you are aware?

I'm really not sure. I just know that for the purposes of immigration Monaco and San Marino are with EU countries. I know they aren't represented under the political institutions of the EU tho. That's probably where the confusion in my head is.
Reply 13
Could Monaco even join the EU? What benefits do you see bearing in mind its contribution to the EU determinded by GNP would be unaffordable as Monaco collects few taxes, and Monaco won't benefit from the CAP. I reckon since they partake in some EU policies like Schengen, they could join the Euro from without.
Reply 14
What Monaco would contribute would far exceed what would be needed to give back for example, few agriculatural subsides. The Grimaldi Family are a powerful ally to have on the world scene. And overall I see no reason why Monaco shouldnt join the EU for it is this countries stance that an enlarged EU has greater benefits for everybody invovled.
Reply 15
fr_browne
What Monaco would contribute would far exceed what would be needed to give back for example, few agriculatural subsides. The Grimaldi Family are a powerful ally to have on the world scene. And overall I see no reason why Monaco shouldnt join the EU for it is this countries stance that an enlarged EU has greater benefits for everybody invovled.

Could Monaco contribute alot? As far as the actual state apparatus goes it is tiny...whilst it is a rich country the government could only make a negligible budgetary contribution to the EU. Also, I don't see what the advantages are for Monaco other than representation at an international level. Monaco can already partake in EU initiatives, such as Schengen, and if the ECB were pragmatic I reckon they'd let Monaco join the Euro. But no benefits from the CAP, tied down by EC/EU law, minimal budgetary contribution (having to contribute at all considering how small Monaco is...).

I just don't see the advantage.

I (not France, me personally) have no problem with Monaco joining in principle, but I can't see why Monaco would.
Reply 16
fair enough, I see your point and the reasoning behind it. In the end Monaco would have to make up their own mind whether they wanted to apply to join the EU but on this site it is not possible.
Contributing all we can would probably not make much difference to the existing members (except those who like gambling) but Monaco would not wish to sponge either. Why would we? We're doing fine. What help we could give would be readily available, but perhaps the scale is simply too small. It's mainly out of a desire to show solidarity (and neatness on the map) that we suggested it; we also don't really want to be excluded if the EU becomes one country; this would be like Seattle or LA being independent of the US. I suppose one route would be becoming part of France - as has been mentioned, we are firmly under her wing already and halfway there.

carl's response is what we were afraid of - Model UNs can't change the status quo.

... I thought Monaco was in the Euro, because it used to use the French franc. I assumed it changed with France.
Reply 18
... I thought Monaco was in the Euro, because it used to use the French franc. I assumed it changed with France.
Yeah Monaco is in the Euro
That's good enough, then. Anyway, back to the actual thread topic: The European Centralists have Monaco's full backing. Such as it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending