The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

First Year Maths Past Papers And Shizzle Brap Brap

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hathlan
You need to show f(0)=0. Without this we don't know that limx0f(0)g(x)lim_{x\rightarrow0} \frac{f(0)}{g(x)} exists, since we have the g(x) tending to zero. Otherwise good.

How does one show f(0)=0? If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that f(0)=0 by showing that lim as x tends to 0 of f(x) is zero then using continuity which is not very clear to me. :frown:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 181
6DOIT
How does one show f(0)=0? If I am not mistaken, you mentioned that f(0)=0 by showing that lim as x tends to 0 of f(x) is zero then using continuity which is not very clear to me. :frown:

It's not trivial;

Spoiler

With the January exam coming up, any other first years wanna start this thread up again?
Reply 183
Original post by matt2k8
With the January exam coming up, any other first years wanna start this thread up again?

I want a new thread! :h:
Original post by Hathlan
Analysis 2006

for (i) why not just (an)=(n)orlog(n)(a_n)= \sqrt(n) or \log(n)
Original post by davidcarvalho
for (i) why not just (an)=(n)orlog(n)(a_n)= \sqrt(n) or \log(n)

Neither of them are bounded - this question confused me too, emailed my supervisor about it :s-smilie:

Edit - after messing with it some more I found out cos(nπ)cos(\sqrt{n} \pi) works, using the inequality cosacosbab|cos a - cos b| \leq |a -b| and the fact ((n+1)(n))0(\sqrt(n+1) - \sqrt(n)) \rightarrow 0
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest