Ln (a/b) is the same as (ln a) - (ln b)
So put in:
Ln (0.05)- Ln(2)
or
Ln (0.1) - Ln (2)
Reply 3
The Procrastinator
Ello,

Okay I have to complete a table of values I can calculate the value on the calculator - In (1/2) = -0.69...okay I can do that but when I want to calculate - In (0.05/2) or In (0.1/2) I can't get the right answer.

Is there some special trick to be done here? Anything with a zero before the number doesn't seem to work :s-smilie:

Thanks, from a complete idiot.

Have you tried, as around said, to get rid of the 0? Also try to, if this doesn't work, use logs with real numbers in the denominator? So instead of ln(0.05/2) try ln(5/200) and instead of ln(0.1/2) try ln(1/20) :smile:. Also its ln not In :wink:.
Small123
Have you tried, as around said, to get rid of the 0? Also try to, if this doesn't work, use logs with real numbers in the denominator? So instead of ln(0.05/2) try ln(5/200) and instead of ln(0.1/2) try ln(1/20) :smile:. Also its ln not In :wink:.

*cries* that works!!! changing it to 5/200...I am so rubbish I cannot believe it. Rep to you :yes:
Reply 5
The Procrastinator
*cries* that works!!! changing it to 5/200...I am so rubbish I cannot believe it. Rep to you :yes:

I don't know why your calculator doesn't like decimals though, sorry! Did arounds suggestion work also? :smile:
If anyproblems like that come up again you can use http://www.wolframalpha.com to work out logarithms :smile:
Just remember ln not In :wink:. I thought the same thing at first though, I used to think my calculator said log in :o:!
T-Star*
Ln (a/b) is the same as (ln a) - (ln b)
So put in:
Ln (0.05)- Ln(2)
or
Ln (0.1) - Ln (2)

Damn just tried this, and it works as well!! Will rep you very soon....(I'm all out now)
Thanks a lot :smile: :smile: :smile:
Small123
I don't know why your calculator doesn't like decimals though, sorry! Did arounds suggestion work also? :smile:
If anyproblems like that come up again you can use http://www.wolframalpha.com to work out logarithms :smile:
Just remember ln not In :wink:. I thought the same thing at first though, I used to think my calculator said log in :o:!

I know! Maybe it doesn't like decimals in fractions or something. I tried his idea but it doesn't work.

Haha I am so happy right now. At least I can get this one question right in the exam...makes all the difference haha :biggrin:
Reply 8
The Procrastinator
I know! Maybe it doesn't like decimals in fractions or something. I tried his idea but it doesn't work.

Haha I am so happy right now. At least I can get this one question right in the exam...makes all the difference haha :biggrin:

Glad I could help :smile:.
around
Try just putting .1 and .02 without the leading 0

Thanks for your help but the calculator didn't like that either. Problems all solved now :biggrin:
Small123

Haha was that website always in your post?? Didn't see it before. Thanks a lot for that. I need all the help I can get! :biggrin:
Reply 11
The Procrastinator
Haha was that website always in your post?? Didn't see it before. Thanks a lot for that. I need all the help I can get! :biggrin:

No, I remembered that that website was great for Maths help. Can solve a lot of things, showing steps too! So I thought that might help if you ever had any problems as it's a quick reliable computational device :smile:.
Small123
No, I remembered that that website was great for Maths help. Can solve a lot of things, showing steps too! So I thought that might help if you ever had any problems as it's a quick reliable computational device :smile:.

Steps are good :love: my maths tutor seems to assume we know all this stuff.....well most people do except me hehe!

Thanks again :smile:
Reply 13
The Procrastinator
Steps are good :love: my maths tutor seems to assume we know all this stuff.....well most people do except me hehe!

Thanks again :smile:

No problem. By the way, if you end up having a question with the answer in logarithmic form, would it not be better to leave it in logarithmic form? That way you have the precise answer rather than an approximation the calculator gives :smile:. I don't think you'd lose any marks for writing so, unless it explicitly stated it wanted it.
Small123
No problem. By the way, if you end up having a question with the answer in logarithmic form, would it not be better to leave it in logarithmic form? That way you have the precise answer rather than an approximation the calculator gives :smile:. I don't think you'd lose any marks for writing so, unless it explicitly stated it wanted it.

Not really sure what you mean. The question is basically a table of x values which was the 0.05 and so on and I have to ln (x/2) for all the x values then graph it.
Is that was you meant? I tend to over complicate things for myself.
Reply 15
The Procrastinator
Not really sure what you mean. The question is basically a table of x values which was the 0.05 and so on and I have to ln (x/2) for all the x values then graph it.
Is that was you meant? I tend to over complicate things for myself.

Ah right. Never mind then :smile:.
Small123
Ah right. Never mind then :smile:.

Oof! I ought to give you more rep for being so helpful :h:

This is just the start of a whole barage of thread from me :o:
Reply 17
The Procrastinator
Oof! I ought to give you more rep for being so helpful :h:

This is just the start of a whole barage of thread from me :o:

Lol, don't worry about it!
You may want to get a better calculator tho :p:.
Small123
Lol, don't worry about it!
You may want to get a better calculator tho :p:.

Hmmm well yes it is kinda old. Had it since school soooo at least 8 years old haha
Reply 19
The Procrastinator
Damn just tried this, and it works as well!! Will rep you very soon....(I'm all out now)
Thanks a lot :smile: :smile: :smile:

Ah thank you :smile: Ha, glad it worked out for you!

Latest