The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of going today, and I hate every minute of the experience, even if I do keep my bra on.

I just feel a bit self-conscious about the whole "wooh, top off, let's measure your boobs" because I'm not a huge fan of my tummy, like a lot of girls aren't.

Anyway, I've been to M&S and their bras are fine for me. I was told I was a 36D for ages (apparently it's all in the back) but I'm actually a 38C according to M&S, and I haven't had any problems (until now, because one of my bras has the wire thing poking through and it won't go down).
Reply 21
I HAVE to go and get mine neasured...I think I'm a 36D or a 38C and both sizes fit usually, but it's all very confusing not really knowing what I actually am. I think I'll go to M+S at the weekend, last time I chickened out because I just wasn't in the mood (was having a fat tummy day...).
Reply 22
When i was measured in M&S she told me i was 34 and then said either a B or C, i thought i would be more accurately measured. She just guessed by looking!
Reply 23
Just wanted to drag this up to encourage you all to get measured! I thought I was 38C...I'm a 34DD!

John Lewis measuring service = fab. Lovely ladies who are very kind and make it so relaxed and easy, they don't even measure your cup just underbust..the rest is by look and they do it so so well! Highly recommended :smile::smile:
Reply 24
Sophdoph
Just wanted to drag this up to encourage you all to get measured! I thought I was 38C...I'm a 34DD!

John Lewis measuring service = fab. Lovely ladies who are very kind and make it so relaxed and easy, they don't even measure your cup just underbust..the rest is by look and they do it so so well! Highly recommended :smile::smile:

Omg how great are john lewis?! she explained it all to me, and was just so lovely. I couldnt believe how they do it just by look, but its so good!
Reply 25
Yea M and S are friendly and helpful but I got measure in there and was told i was a 30C, i tried it on and it didnt fit, much too tight. Went to John Lewis and was told I was a 34DD which fits absolutely perfect.
Reply 26
You should remove your bra, else the bra you're wearing can effect the measurement you get back.

no point in getting measured then, really!
There is a really easy way to do it yourself and its right almost all the time. First measure under your boobs, this is your number ie 34. Then measure your chest around the centre. To get your cup size add 4 inches (or equivalent) on to the first measurement - this is an A cup. For every inch after this you go up a cup size. ie For a 34'' back an A cup would be 38'' across your breasts, a D cup woulb be 42''.
Reply 28
Joey12
Yea M and S are friendly and helpful but I got measure in there and was told i was a 30C, i tried it on and it didnt fit, much too tight. Went to John Lewis and was told I was a 34DD which fits absolutely perfect.

M&S are terrible! The muppet in there tried telling me I was a 36A (I'm an E cup!!!)
Reply 29
Maireleghra
There is a really easy way to do it yourself and its right almost all the time. First measure under your boobs, this is your number ie 34. Then measure your chest around the centre. To get your cup size add 4 inches (or equivalent) on to the first measurement - this is an A cup. For every inch after this you go up a cup size. ie For a 34'' back an A cup would be 38'' across your breasts, a D cup woulb be 42''.

I did that and got 36D, and I'm 34DD so it was close but not quite.

John Lewis all the way!!
Reply 30
Fluffy
You should remove your bra, else the bra you're wearing can effect the measurement you get back.

no point in getting measured then, really!

:/
The lingerie shop I use measures you once for your chest measurement and then goes and gets a floppy sort of bra for you to put on and then they measure you again to double check the cup size. Then they run off and get you all different bras to try on and check after each one and get different sizes and styles for you :biggrin: it's great :biggrin:
Reply 31
Sophdoph
I did that and got 36D, and I'm 34DD so it was close but not quite.

John Lewis all the way!!

I don't think much to John Lewis either - well not the one on Oxford Street.

Bravissimo or La Senza all the way :biggrin:
Reply 32
Fluffy
M&S are terrible! The muppet in there tried telling me I was a 36A (I'm an E cup!!!)

I agree. I've had terrible experiences with M&S and debenhams. I can't go anywhere but my favourite shop now :redface:
Reply 33
Sophdoph

Exactly - I went to Selfridges last week and they measured me - I had been wearing a 38B (previous measuring in local Debenhams), she put me in a 36DD and they fit perfectly now!
Reply 34
Geogger
Exactly - I went to Selfridges last week and they measured me - I had been wearing a 38B (previous measuring in local Debenhams), she put me in a 36DD and they fit perfectly now!

Yikes! I can imagine it feels a million times better now.

It's so important to have both cup and back measurements correct - if you have one or the other is just doesn't fit properly, feels uncomfy and they don't look their best :smile: (just a general thing, not directed at you geogger)
Reply 35
blissy
Yikes! I can imagine it feels a million times better now.

It's so important to have both cup and back measurements correct - if you have one or the other is just doesn't fit properly, feels uncomfy and they don't look their best :smile: (just a general thing, not directed at you geogger)

Absolutely... the trouble is when you go to one place and get measured, you assume that its correct.... if I hadn't been going to London and wanting new underwear at the same time, I would never have realised!
Reply 36
John Lewis Southampton is where I went, I guess it's always individual shops as well as chains that make a difference.

Love my new bras though, it's amazing how they actually...fit!
Reply 37
Sophdoph
John Lewis Southampton is where I went, I guess it's always individual shops as well as chains that make a difference.

Love my new bras though, it's amazing how they actually...fit!

I know, I know! supported yet somehow so much better.... and with lots of pretty designs, a girl can't choose which ones she like best :biggrin:
Reply 38
when was the first ever time you went?
Reply 39
Apparently you ought to be re-measured on a regular basis as there are lots of things (not just weight generally) that can affect your bra size (eg pill etc)

Latest