The Student Room Group

What A Levels would you recommend for a Psychology degree?

I have my mind pretty much set on being a Psychologist, but I'm not sure what A levels would help me the most. So far, I know I'm going to take Psychology, Biology and Graphics/Photography out of interest and as a possible back-up. My question is, out of Philosophy, Sociology, English lang. and Chemistry, which would the most useful for a Bsc Psychology degree? Are there two subjects that are equally useful?
Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Well, Psychology at degree level involves a fair amount of stats, but apparantly there's software that pretty much calculates it for you. So I guess it'd be useful to have some knowledge of stats, but not essential. Do what you enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Maths is useful for all sorts, so that would be good. Stats is also very useful in Psychology, but you can do enough stats modules in the Maths A-level to meet those needs (at least for A-level). English language would be quite useful because it gives you more practice of essay-writing, and some parts of it are also quite closely related to psycholinguistics (you might even study it in the A-level EngLang). To be honest, the most useful A-level you could do is Biology, which you've picked, so all is good.
Reply 3
Sociology, Psychology, Maths
Reply 4
If I were you, I would choose Maths, which is well-respected and goes well with any degrees :smile:
I'd say take either Maths or English Language. I for one wish I'd taken chemistry, just to keep my options open.
Imo: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Language/Psychology
Also - why Graphics?

Imo, I wouldn't do that at all - regardless of degree.

There are better A-levels to take on the contrary to Graphics for preparation for a Psychology degree. :yep:
I would suggests maybe Biology, Psychology & RS - its what I do

OR instead of RS maybe English or Math
Reply 9
Biology and Maths/Statistics might come in handy.
Reply 10
Maths defintley, and get rid of the graphic design.
Reply 11
I'd say Maths or English, depending where you want to apply do both and skip Graphics, but if you're really interested in that then there's so reason you shouldn't stick with it if you'll do well. You've already got two sciences in your choices.
Reply 12
MATHS STATS you MUST pick that x
Reply 13
im so academic
Also - why Graphics?

Imo, I wouldn't do that at all - regardless of degree.

There are better A-levels to take on the contrary to Graphics for preparation for a Psychology degree. :yep:

It was originally my Plan A. Now it's Plan B. I'm not entirely sure what it will be like, so for the chances (however small) that I'll take a dislike to Psychology, I'll go for an Art Foundation instead. I wish I could do both, but I had to make a choice.
Reply 14
Symph
I'd say Maths or English, depending where you want to apply do both and skip Graphics, but if you're really interested in that then there's so reason you shouldn't stick with it if you'll do well. You've already got two sciences in your choices.

If I'm better at Maths than English, but English is more useful, should I pick Maths over English, or do both?
Reply 15
Redpanda91
Well, Psychology at degree level involves a fair amount of stats, but apparantly there's software that pretty much calculates it for you. So I guess it'd be useful to have some knowledge of stats, but not essential. Do what you enjoy :smile:

You have to have the knowledge to pass the exams, and to interpret statistical data.

The most useful A levels would in my opinion be;
Psychology - Obvious
Biology - Knowledge of how the body works
Stats - Knowledge of how to interpret, calculate and present statistical data (saves a lot of brainache in your first year)
English - Improve written English and essay skills
Reply 16
Evanesyne
If I'm better at Maths than English, but English is more useful, should I pick Maths over English, or do both?

If you're better at maths, do maths. English will only help you in so far as writing essays, but for my course at least we don't really write that many and the style is a lot more scientific anyway.
Reply 17
Evanesyne
I have my mind pretty much set on being a Psychologist, but I'm not sure what A levels would help me the most. So far, I know I'm going to take Psychology, Biology and Graphics out of interest and as a possible back-up. My question is, out of Maths, Stats, English lang. and Chemistry, which would the most useful for a Bsc Psychology degree? Are there two subjects that are equally useful?
Thanks.

graphic design will kill you. i do fine art but according to my teacher who teaches graphic design aswell he says we get roughly the same workload.

and lemme tell you AS fine art is hell. best to drop that.

i'd go with maths,biology,english lang/history, and psychology.
Reply 18
aliluvschoc
You have to have the knowledge to pass the exams, and to interpret statistical data.

The most useful A levels would in my opinion be;
Psychology - Obvious
Biology - Knowledge of how the body works
Stats - Knowledge of how to interpret, calculate and present statistical data (saves a lot of brainache in your first year)
English - Improve written English and essay skills

I find Stats harder than Maths :erm: I've failed my Stats mocks. I think.
So I wouldn't need Chemistry?
do psychology, biology, maths and eng lit

Latest