The Student Room Group

A level subjects for bachelors in psychology

Hello,
Can someone recommend me some easy a level subjects that are accepted for a bachelor in psychology.
I’m really bad at maths and science so no physics, biology or mathematics or something similar pls.
I’m looking for something super easy that I can memorize without problems thanks :smile:
Original post by Nabiaa
Hello,
Can someone recommend me some easy a level subjects that are accepted for a bachelor in psychology.
I’m really bad at maths and science so no physics, biology or mathematics or something similar pls.
I’m looking for something super easy that I can memorize without problems thanks :smile:

Have you looked at the entry requirements of the specific degrees that you want to do? Whatever those entry requirements are, they will supersede whatever your preferences or our recommendations are.

Most psychology degrees won't ask for any specific subjects, but a handful would be asking for either biology or psychology.

If you want to cover all bases, I would recommend at least having psychology, since you don't like biology.

Other than that, it's really up to you. Most of the top end universities will be looking for the more academic subjects, so it's not going to be easy.

Sociology tends to go well with psychology, but it might not necessarily be considered academic. A number of people who study psychology tend to also do English Lit, which happens to also be academic.

Other essay based subjects you can pick include:

History

Business/economics

Classics - if your college offers it

FIlm - not really academic though

Geography - physical geography has a bit of 'science' to it, but it's not the same thing as an actual science

Any language that you did not grew up learning if you immigrated to the UK

Law - not recommended at A Level

Media - not really academic

Music - if you have a knack for it

Philosophy - involves a lot of reading as far as I know

Politics

Religious Studies

Art and design - involves a lot of work, and not really academic per se

No A Level is easy per se, but some might come to you a lot easier than others. I don't know what you enjoy or what you consider easy to memorise without problems. If you want something straightforward (however you define it), I would consider business, media, and religious studies as candidates on top of sociology and psychology.
Original post by Nabiaa
Hello,

Hi @Nabiaa,

It's great that you already have a degree in mind as it could make picking your A-levels easier. When considering A-level subjects for a future bachelors degree in psychology, it's important to balance subjects that interest you and subjects that will allow you to access your future studies.

While there may not be subjects that are 'easy' and solely rely on memorisation, I would suggest picking subjects that you have a passion for or at least enjoy. You will be spending a lot of time on it over the next few years so it might be more enjoyable if you at least want to learn about it. Additionally, if you keep an open mind, you may discover new interests that lead you down new and unexpected paths. This could potentially change what you want to study in the future.

One important thing to keep in mind is that what is easy for one person is not always easy to the next. You know yourself the best and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. That being said, seeking guidance from your teachers and careers counsellor may be helpful.

Specific A-level subjects required for admission to a psychology degree can vary from university to university. While you might be looking for subjects that are less maths or science-oriented, it's still important to have a strong academic foundation. A well-rounded skill set will be beneficial in your studies and future career.

Good luck with choosing
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
At Lancaster University, the bachelor in psychology does not require any specific a level subjects. So to get in, you can take whatever subjects you want. I can't give advice on actual subjects because I only took mathematics, physics, Further Mathematics, and Computer Science.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by Nabiaa
Hello,

@Nabiaa

A lot of Universities don't have specific subjects in mind, but more prestigious Universities would quite like to see a bit of science in particular Biology - Neuropsychology is something that you would probably explore on the degree program (you certainly do at masters level which is where I jumped in).

There is a great list here from another poster. I would say that if you prefer to remember information like dates and figures history might appeal to you. If you like more theoretical stuff and like to construct an argument then sociology might be more your cup of tea. There are some slightly iffy criminology courses advertised online by some providers I would check with Ofqual about before signing up to one to check who they are validated by

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by Nabiaa
Hello,

Hey!

As others have said above, it really depends on the universities you are looking to apply to. A lot of psychology courses don't require specific a-levels (or may prefer you to have psychology at least), whilst more 'prestigious' universities such as Cambridge may want you to have biology or a science (but even then they also offer an alternative if you don't take these courses, like performing well at GCSE etc).

I did BSc Psychology at Kent and personally did Psychology, English and History, and don't think this negatively impacted me in anyway/made me less prepared for a psychology degree! Obviously, science subjects could help, but a lot of people don't have a science background as they teach you most of the relevant stuff at uni anyway! I've since gone on to do a Masters & now doing a PhD, so not having a science background hasn't really affected me so definitely don't stress :smile:

My overall advice would be to take a look at specific universities you have in mind just to double check, but otherwise, take subjects you enjoy and then you should be able to perform your best as well!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest