The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Why were you accepted at Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick etc??!

Scroll to see replies

Justaword
I really don't know how universities allocate places when all applicants are well qualified.

For anyone that's interested, I think these are the reasons I got a Master's place at LSE this year:

1. I have a first class Bachelor's degree.

2. My academic references must have been good - I've never seen them so I can't be totally sure!

3. The Master's is in the same subject as my Bachelor's degree so maybe they think I have more chance of being successful (league table positions must be protected)!

For info, they did not ask me about any qualifications on the application form other than my Bachelor's degree, e.g. A-levels.

Some people I've spoken to over the past year seem to think it's easier to get a postgrad place if you are an overseas student (i.e. not home or E.U.) because the institution makes more money out of you, but I'm a home student and so are many on my course so I'm not sure how true that is.

Another thing to mention is that an academic once told me (when I was an undergraduate) that she was amazed at how many application forms for courses had spelling and grammatical errors and that it doesn't make a good impression.

it's a very helpful post justaword. what's your bachelors degree??
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
If you really want tod do a PhD you shouldnt just be lookin at the best institutions, its al about the labs and the RAE of the dept and also the eminance of the supervisor. eg. bradford (no offene to anyone out there) it aint the best of unis, but some of the biomed labs are some of the best in the world (so ive been told)

I am at imperial and trust me I did nothing special to get in, I just applied to a lab that no one else wanted to, and showed masses of enthusiasm and interest. Simple as that

Good luck in your search, but do not completely rule out "lesser" universitys, check out the labs that are of interest to you
hey...have all started applying??! rahul, what about you??!!

i've selected the programmes, got the letters of reference from my professors, started the online applications. There's only one thing left - and unfortunately that is the personal statement..

I know that it is a really big part of the whole application process but I am not able to find anything concrete that I can write. Whatever I write, I feel it's silly and everybody else will write the same...the oxford's question looks kinda tricky...it is "How do you hope to see your career developing over the next five years? How will the MSc in Financial Economics assist you in the development of these ambitions? "..dont know why but i feel that they place a lot of importance on what i write in there....

I am applying to 9 schools..I know that's a high number....but I am not able to decide on which schools i fit into...

the programs i'm applying to are

msc acc & fin - lse
msc fin - warwick
mfe - sbs, ox
msc fin - cass
msc fin - imperial
msc fin - manchester
msc fin & man - cranfield
ma fin & investment - nottingham
msc fin & investment - edinburgh

most of these ask the same question...something like "Please use this space to summarise your academic interests and your reasons for choosing your intended course of study"

But a couple of colleges like oxford expect a little more....so I've been trying to prepare a proper career plan so that I can answer the question "How will the MSc in Financial Economics assist you in the development of these ambitions" effectively...
can anyone suggest websites or give some information on where specifically do graduates from these programs go in 5 years?
Reply 63
hi flying kolors ,im about to apply to oxford ,right now only applying to oxford only ,may be will apply to other courses in december ,right now loads of work load,but ur list seems too long ,i also went on global derivatives it seems ur also applying in financial engg. :cool: man how are u managing all tht , i will apply to at max 4 places ,actually me more interested in financial markets so looking for relevant courses only.
hi rahul,

no financial engineering programs for me!!! i realised that i neither have the aptitude nor the interest...

i'm applying only to these....
i just have one doubt...there's a page in oxford application form which asks for additional information..it says that you can upload 1 document. what do they expect us to write in that?? any idea??
Reply 65
flyingkolours
hi rahul,

no financial engineering programs for me!!! i realised that i neither have the aptitude nor the interest...

i'm applying only to these....
i just have one doubt...there's a page in oxford application form which asks for additional information..it says that you can upload 1 document. what do they expect us to write in that?? any idea??

im not applying online ,in paper based application ,i dun thnk they have mentioned anything to give additional information ,yeah they have provided space for writing abt additional academic qualification or scholarships etc.
rahulocaty
im not applying online ,in paper based application ,i dun thnk they have mentioned anything to give additional information ,yeah they have provided space for writing abt additional academic qualification or scholarships etc.

sent the application sometime back...online...although i knew that there're lots of things that aren't perfect in my application, i couldnt help it - it'll make you go mad if there are 12 colleges you're applying to, writing the CFA exam and also working.. :mad:
If you really want tod do a PhD you shouldnt just be lookin at the best institutions, its al about the labs and the RAE of the dept and also the eminance of the supervisor. eg. bradford (no offene to anyone out there) it aint the best of unis, but some of the biomed labs are some of the best in the world (so ive been told)

I am at imperial and trust me I did nothing special to get in, I just applied to a lab that no one else wanted to, and showed masses of enthusiasm and interest. Simple as that

Good luck in your search, but do not completely rule out "lesser" universitys, check out the labs that are of interest to you

HI there, clearly someone out there didnt like my post becuase they gave me bad reputation for the above comment, however there has been nothing on the thread to dispute or say my post was nonsense/ rubbish etc. I would be greatful if the person responsible would be so kind as to argue why my post was poor/ nonsense/of offence or whatever they fealt nescesary to give me a bad rating, as otherwise this is just uncalled for. Im not asking for you to revoke this reputation, I just would like to know why my post was deemed by you to be bad. #

I posted my opinion, why dont you post yours.

regards
nkgs100
HI there, clearly someone out there didnt like my post becuase they gave me bad reputation for the above comment, however there has been nothing on the thread to dispute or say my post was nonsense/ rubbish etc. I would be greatful if the person responsible would be so kind as to argue why my post was poor/ nonsense/of offence or whatever they fealt nescesary to give me a bad rating, as otherwise this is just uncalled for. Im not asking for you to revoke this reputation, I just would like to know why my post was deemed by you to be bad. #

I posted my opinion, why dont you post yours.

regards

from your post, i can see no reason why someone would do that, so i suggest you to just forget about it..
hey guys,

how are you all sending gmat/toefl scores?? Until now, I've just included attested copies of gmat and toefl in the supporting documents?
i am now wondering whether they are really serious about getting the official ETS document.....i mean, i can actually send them the official scores, but then it'll cost me a lot...
can anybody confirm whether sending attested copies is enough??

warwick says it's ok if i send them attested copies
lse says that they need the originals if i am offered a place
oxford hasn't commented on this part, so i think i'll report officially
nottingham says the same thing as lse
cranfield doesnt say anything
imperial needs the originals..i think..
edinburgh - no clue..
cass - no clue
manchester - no clue...

if any of you has info about atleast one or two of these schools, please post it here urgently!!!

fyi...most of the programmes i'm applying to are handled by their respective business schools..
Reply 70
flyingkolours
hey guys,

how are you all sending gmat/toefl scores?? Until now, I've just included attested copies of gmat and toefl in the supporting documents?
i am now wondering whether they are really serious about getting the official ETS document.....i mean, i can actually send them the official scores, but then it'll cost me a lot...
can anybody confirm whether sending attested copies is enough??

warwick says it's ok if i send them attested copies
lse says that they need the originals if i am offered a place
oxford hasn't commented on this part, so i think i'll report officially
nottingham says the same thing as lse
cranfield doesnt say anything
imperial needs the originals..i think..
edinburgh - no clue..
cass - no clue
manchester - no clue...

if any of you has info about atleast one or two of these schools, please post it here urgently!!!

fyi...most of the programmes i'm applying to are handled by their respective business schools..

I sent a photocopy of my GMAT score to Imperial.. (it wasnt even a "certified true" copy)
hi all!!!
anybody got some good news??!! - unconditional/conditional offers??!!!
when exactly do lse and oxford start making offers??!!! i MIGHT have made it into warwick's msc finance...i got a mail from them....waiting for the official letter (i'm nervous..)
flyingkolours
hi all!!!
anybody got some good news??!! - unconditional/conditional offers??!!!
when exactly do lse and oxford start making offers??!!! i MIGHT have made it into warwick's msc finance...i got a mail from them....waiting for the official letter (i'm nervous..)

I got an unconditional for MSc management at LSE, sooooo happy !!! Also offers from: imperial, bath, st andrews and aston + Warwick for economics and finance.
that's a very impressive record Octavius!!!!!!!! so you've decided that you're goin to LSE??!
flyingkolours
that's a very impressive record Octavius!!!!!!!! so you've decided that you're goin to LSE??!

Well thanks! - Yeah.. LSE was my first choice since the beginning... so that's where I'm going! and even if I like the others as well, I don't think I should reconsiderate choosing another one instead.
Congrats for you getting in into warwick. Btw, is it the economics & finance MSc or the new MSc finance? And don't get too anxious.. once you get the e-mail, you get the formal letter as well.
hi! just wanted to say that i got a conditional offer from lse for accounting and finance!! anybody in the same boat?!
hi guys,

like i said in my last post, i have a conditional offer from lse. The condition i have to meet is that i need to attend the summer school of lse and get at least a B in a course.

I am told that i will have to gain entry into UK as a prospective (intending) student, meet the condition and then apply to the home office to extend my stay (and change my status from "prospective student to 'student"). Is this correct?
Has anybody gone through the same process?? is it troublefree?

also, do you know anyone who's had the same experience of having to attend the summer school to meet the condition? How competitive is the summer school?

the thing is, i have an offer from warwick as well, and so i want to know whether paying the deposit of warwick makes sense.
Reply 77
I've had a conditional offer to do Msc Public Policy and Administration. All I have to do is get a 2:1 in my degree, which shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't keep on going on forums posting stuff to avoid doing any work!
slimjim
I've had a conditional offer to do Msc Public Policy and Administration. All I have to do is get a 2:1 in my degree, which shouldn't be a problem, as long as I don't keep on going on forums posting stuff to avoid doing any work!

How did they offer it? By post, or do you get an e-mail first? I know the Oxford 2nd GF decisions were finalized on 20 Jan. but I am in the States, so I have no idea how long it will take a letter to get here.

southessex :smile:
University of Nottingham MA Archaeology (conditional offer made)
Oxford, Keble MPhil European Archaeology (waiting!!!!!!)
Reply 79
i went onto their online tracking system, and it said you have a conditional offer. i nearly fell off my chair! Then the next day i got a letter, although it said on the internet it could take up to 28 days to get the letter. But if you go tho thei website you can get on the online tracker if you have your applicant number, then it says if you are being consider, accepted etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending