The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is there anywhere that sells sweets that's open at this hour? :laugh:
TheUnbeliever

yeah i've got a nice candy shop if you want to come see what i've got.
Reply 1982
TheUnbeliever

Can you get to the 24h Tesco in Milton...? :p:
visesh
Can you get to the 24h Tesco in Milton...? :p:

:biggrin: Not before 'this hour' becomes 'that hour'!
Reply 1984
Zoedotdot
I'm glad I'm not losing it in thinking it was a bit out of order... I moan about it a lot on this thread, but I always leave oral supervisions feeling absolutely terrible. She knows that the issue is not with the quality of my Russian, which isn't far behind anyone else's, but with my absolutely shattered self-confidence in terms of speaking as we've discussed it before, fairly recently, so why on earth she thought it was acceptable to say that to the others I'm not sure.

She emailed me after their supervision was over asking me if I wanted to change groups to one where I might progress better, but it has left me wondering whether this is for my benefit or for the benefit of the other people in the supervision. All the oral supervisors in Russian are centrally allocated, so I'm speaking to my DoS (who also happened to handle the allocations) on Monday to explain the situation and see what she thinks. I will certainly move groups and might switch supervisors, depending on what my DoS thinks and whether that's even possible this late in the year.

I just feel even worse about oral now. I went from speaking Russian that was good enough to get me a 2.1 in my oral last year to barely being able to string a sentence together, and my speaking has definitely worsened during the year. Clearly something about my supervisions isn't working for me, and I would have been happy for her to approach me from that angle. But telling two of my friends that the supervision is better without the crap person being there (paraphrasing, but that's the essence) is just not very nice :frown:

Obviously I wasn't there and I don't know you, the supervisor, the group dynamic or anything. However my guess is that you are blowing this out of proportion and taking it too personally.

A good supervisor will want to get every student in the best possible working environment. That can sometimes mean jigging supervision groups around a bit to balance personalities, interests, abilities, levels of confidence etc. It is not any reflection on the individual students but simply a recognition of the fact that some group dynamics lead to better work and performance than others and that students can benefit from a change in the group.

Your friends fed back the comments the supervisor made for their ears to you. I would imagine that all that was said was 'hey this worked really well today. Did the smaller group help? Have you been holding back in other supervisions?' This is not synonymous with 'the absent person is crap, isn't she?'. It is the supervisor seeing what they think about their best work environment.

When the supervisor emailed you she was talking to you about your best work environment and asking whether a change of group might help you. In her professional opinion this might be a good option and she is giving you the chance to say what you think. Perhaps your confidence issues might be better dealt with in a different group and you might benefit from this option. Remember - supervisors are not there to judge you - they are there to give you all the help they can to make progress.

The only unfortunate thing that has happened here is that your friends told you stuff that the supervisor meant to be a quiet word between them and you have assumed that a) the supervisor is putting them before you and b) that the supervisor has been dissing you. I don't think that either of these things will be true - the supervisor would not have asked your friends what they thought without first thinking about the options for all of you. At the time of speaking to them, however, she would only have talked about things from their perspective since your progress is between you and the supervisor.

It seems to me that the supervisor, whether you like her teaching style or not, has only done what any good supervisor would do and is simply trying to make things better for everyone. We're all adults here. We know that some people need one thing while other people need a different thing. There is no shame in rejigging the groups. And you must always remember that supervisors are not ultimately there to judge you -they are there to help you to make the most progress possible. If, in their professional opinion, a change would be beneficial then they are going to have to instigate it somehow. It sounds to me like you've all been asked your opinion and had your say - can't get fairer than that. Your friends simply made a bad judgement call to tell you too much rather than realising that you might take it personally and being discrete.

NB being supervised with close friends is not, as a general rule, a particularly good idea anyway, no matter how nice it might feel to you.
TheUnbeliever
:biggrin: Not before 'this hour' becomes 'that hour'!

Nice insider avatar!
Oh dear, I'm pretty sure I just signed up for RAG Blind Date, letting a (pretty much) randomer fill in my form. :o:
alex_hk90
Oh dear, I'm pretty sure I just signed up for RAG Blind Date, letting a (pretty much) randomer fill in my form. :o:

Why a randomer?

ukebert

We are auditioning now. Are you planning to sing in many this year? Our stuff might not be to everyone's taste, so we are doing lots and lots of auditions to try and get at least one.

Just a few - I only want to play 2-3 this year because it is too exhausting to play lots. Good luck :smile:
Benefactor's Feast = 7hrs :eek: That was alot of alcohol :cheers: The food was disappointing in comparison to our scholar's dinner, but the company was much better than I expected. It was 99% Fellows and students, instead of alumni and businessmen which I was a bit worried about.
The port and wine was brilliant though :drool:

The headache and cold have resurrected themselves, though :frown:
Reply 1989
ukdragon37
That's why I love my CISS :biggrin:

Spoiler

pgl
Obviously I wasn't there and I don't know you, the supervisor, the group dynamic or anything. However my guess is that you are blowing this out of proportion and taking it too personally.

A good supervisor will want to get every student in the best possible working environment. That can sometimes mean jigging supervision groups around a bit to balance personalities, interests, abilities, levels of confidence etc. It is not any reflection on the individual students but simply a recognition of the fact that some group dynamics lead to better work and performance than others and that students can benefit from a change in the group.

Your friends fed back the comments the supervisor made for their ears to you. I would imagine that all that was said was 'hey this worked really well today. Did the smaller group help? Have you been holding back in other supervisions?' This is not synonymous with 'the absent person is crap, isn't she?'. It is the supervisor seeing what they think about their best work environment.

When the supervisor emailed you she was talking to you about your best work environment and asking whether a change of group might help you. In her professional opinion this might be a good option and she is giving you the chance to say what you think. Perhaps your confidence issues might be better dealt with in a different group and you might benefit from this option. Remember - supervisors are not there to judge you - they are there to give you all the help they can to make progress.

The only unfortunate thing that has happened here is that your friends told you stuff that the supervisor meant to be a quiet word between them and you have assumed that a) the supervisor is putting them before you and b) that the supervisor has been dissing you. I don't think that either of these things will be true - the supervisor would not have asked your friends what they thought without first thinking about the options for all of you. At the time of speaking to them, however, she would only have talked about things from their perspective since your progress is between you and the supervisor.

It seems to me that the supervisor, whether you like her teaching style or not, has only done what any good supervisor would do and is simply trying to make things better for everyone. We're all adults here. We know that some people need one thing while other people need a different thing. There is no shame in rejigging the groups. And you must always remember that supervisors are not ultimately there to judge you -they are there to help you to make the most progress possible. If, in their professional opinion, a change would be beneficial then they are going to have to instigate it somehow. It sounds to me like you've all been asked your opinion and had your say - can't get fairer than that. Your friends simply made a bad judgement call to tell you too much rather than realising that you might take it personally and being discrete.

NB being supervised with close friends is not, as a general rule, a particularly good idea anyway, no matter how nice it might feel to you.

This might sound harsh, and I think its a good idea to relate your concerns to your DoS. But I don't think you should see it as a slight on your academic ability. I think everyone here knows how committed and engaged you are with your subject. I doubt that there's a problem with your ability or capacity. I also think you shouldn't try and judge your performance by how the supervisions go. Its a very specific situation and it doesn't represent the scenario you encounter come exam term.

I would totally second this take. When I first saw your post, Zoe, I was going to say something along these lines as I think this could be a fairly positive step by a supervisor. I didn't, though, as all the others said something different and I didn't want to say the wrong thing twice in a day :o:
In my first year I was in a supervision group where one of the guys involved completely ruined the supervision for me, and it made those supervisions hellish. That's a completely different scenario, but I think I can relate to the point of view of a supervisor who needs to analyse all the people he or she is taking care of and to try and configure them the best way possible to maximise everyone's potential. This can often be about personalities and how people interact with eachother every bit as much, if not more so than being about academic ability.

Its a shame that you found out about it. Maybe it wasn't the best thing for her to ask your friends about it (although maybe pgl is right and you should find out from them exactly what was said) but I don't personally see anything wrong with a supervisor analysing the scenario and trying to work out the best arrangement possible for balancing each student's needs.
Daniel4389
Ohhhh that makes a lot more sense. I thought six was particularly excessive...the most I know of someone paying to go to is three...

I know Petreans who have paid for 5 :sigh:
Y__
My TSP and tiling > your TSP and tiling :p: .
If you have no idea what I'm talking about then I'm probably adressing the wrong person, however it would be quite a surprising coincidence if there was another person in Cambridge using your nickname...

:p: I have a completed version of the TSP ready to hand in in java as soon as I shave off the last few seconds.

I just started tiling today so I only submitted to get the test cases. :ninja:

But come on, give me a chance, I'm not even going to those lectures :p:
The drunks making a racket in Old Court after Benefactor's Dinner are driving me nuts :angry: Is 8 hrs of revelry not enough? :tomato:
Reply 1993
pgl

I understand what you are saying and completely agree with most of your points. It is very rare that I would take anything that a supervisor said to or about me as something personal. I also appreciate the fact that groups do need rejigging and now that I've had time to calm down about it I realise that she is probably attempting to do it for my benefit, and in many ways, changing groups will benefit me.

However, as you said you're not aware of the context of the situation, and this issue is the end product of 12 weeks of incredibly stressful oral supervisions. Within my supervision there is one person who is an absolutely incredible linguist, I doubt there are many second year ab initio students - particularly Russianists - who have gained his level of fluency. And from the first myself and my supervision partner have been somewhat intimidated by this. I really really like the person involved and this is in no way intended as a rant against him. But I know that both have us have felt weekly that we can in no way live up to him, and for someone like me who actually does have a good grasp of the language (the reason I was put into a high-performing oral supervision group in the first place) but massive issues with nerves in oral classes and exams, this has been very demoralising. He will speak fluently and quickly for ten minutes, and then my supervisor will ask me to comment on what he's said and I won't even have understood half of it, and then get frustrated and lose the ability to remember even the simplest words.

The biggest problem with this is my supervisor's attitude to it. As I said before, I don't take things that supervisors say to me personally. My oral supervisor is a good one, but unfortunately for me she can be incredibly negative, and as a Russian is sarcastic in a way that is so blunt it could be construed as rudeness. As a result, my confidence has suffered even further in these supervisions. And that is also true for my friend. And so a comment like the one she made today, following on from comments that have been made throughout the year (which I haven't taken personally) wasn't really a welcome one.

What I dislike here is the fact that she has spoken about my progress to others. The comment that was made was to my friend, and was 'do you hold yourself back to make Zoe feel better?'. Although it wasn't directed at me (and he's actually quite insulted as well), it still makes a direct remark about my performance in supervisions. It is me who is being moved out of the group and I don't see why that is something that needs to be discussed with them. I was originally in a three in a supervision last year and then one of us had to miss a supervision. It became clear in that supervision that the dynamic was better with just the two of us and so my supervisor made the switch permanent. Without discussion with us, and I don't know if she discussed it with the girl who was moved. But either way, there was no comment made about the progress or capabilities of any individual. I have no issue with supervisors attempting to make supervisions work for everybody - in fact, it will be a relief to move groups. She had already observed the supervision and made the decision that it worked better without me - why, therefore, did she need to make that thought public to people who the change would only benefit? As the person who was moving, I should have been approached first.

Maybe I shouldn't have been told about it. But I feel that if a comment is made about me in a supervision I should probably know about it. Had it just been a passing thought that she might rejig the supervisions I wouldn't have minded, but the fact that she actually said that she felt that others were being hindered by my presence I don't think is right. I know that she's not dissing me - I know the supervisor well enough to know that when she makes a comment like me it's not a personal attack. But I still don't think it's an appropriate comment to make.

Mountains out of molehills and everything - like I said, I have definitely calmed down a lot now. I was very upset about it earlier because it did sting, considering my current confidence levels with Russian. But even thinking about it more rationally I don't think that she approached the situation in the right way. I've been here four and a half terms and I wouldn't have survived this far if I routinely let these things upset me - this is definitely unusual.

As for the thing about friends - we are close friends precisely because we work incredibly well as supervision partners. Our ability levels are very similar, our strengths and weaknesses balance each other out, and we have opinions that differ strongly enough to make supervisions interesting. I am strong on my scheduled papers, he is strong on his language, and we do a lot of work together outside of supervisions to build on each other's strengths. Our Russian supervisor (who is also our DoS) last year recognised this and commented on it. Incidentally, we don't choose our supervision pairings, and we have been assigned to the same supervisions this year based partly on ability and partly on what my DoS observed in us last year.

I really appreciate your comments and you have made me consider this more objectively. To clarify, the visit to my DoS is not to complain about the comment by this supervisor, it's to ask her advice on whose group I might be moved into and to reiterate my problems with oral classes and ask for some guidance. As you said, we are all adults here and I'm not some kind of tattle tale. But I don't see too much of a problem with coming on here and having a bit of a rant when I was upset!
It sounds like that super good linguist ought to be isolated. Surely they'll get enough dialogue with the supervisor. And individual supervisions can be seen as a bonus. In fact when I had issues with people in my group in first year I asked for individual supervisions, and that's what the supervisor gave me. If that one super-able guy/girl is that much better than everyone, perhaps they should be moved out and given special, focused attention instead. Better for everyone perhaps.
Reply 1995
Craghyrax
It sounds like that super good linguist ought to be isolated. Surely they'll get enough dialogue with the supervisor. And individual supervisions can be seen as a bonus. In fact when I had issues with people in my group in first year I asked for individual supervisions, and that's what the supervisor gave me. If that one super-able guy/girl is that much better than everyone, perhaps they should be moved out and given special, focused attention instead. Better for everyone perhaps.

It would certainly be better for him, as he (completely unintentionally) dominates the supervision anyway and watching us deliberate over grammar is probably quite frustrating for him. Kudos to him though, he's never complained.

The issue is that while he is noticeably better than us, I am also noticeably worse, and my supervisor probably feels that it is better for my friend to have something to aspire to, rather than something to drag along behind him :p: The fluent guy should be isolated in an ideal world, but whether there is the funding for that I'm not sure. I was also the one who was absent today, whereas my supervisor hasn't had a chance to monitor me without the presence of either of the other two. I'm having extra individual supervisions and perform noticeably better in those, but she doesn't know! I think this probably is the best solution for all, but I'm still going to talk to my DoS and get her opinion :smile: She's also head of department and dealt with class allocations, so she'll probably be able to help me out on all counts!
It could be lupus
I was wandering if there are any may balls/june events that would be recommended, but are not on the sunday, monday or tuesday? Its just I want to go to another one as well as my own as well as another group of people. We were considering Emma's ball but its on the sunday

I'm duty bound to say- come to King's Affair! Launch Party is tonight, you can buy tickets there or they go on general online sale at 9am Sunday morning. It's going to be awesome- I'm on the committee so thats :awesome: in itself :p: - and hopefully pleasantly different to your own May Ball :yep:

p.s. as varsity said last year "King's Affair was a no-nonsense, good value event with some seriously funky musical acts"
Reply 1997
scarlet ibis
Its called the Old Chemist Shop Antique Centre, its on the right as you go out of town beyond the Railway bridge on Mill Road. google maps I'd love to go there with you and try on dresses! I tried on 5 today but without a second opinion it wasn't as much fun! I needed Craggy's honest opinion on colours etc :yes:

That shop is AMAZING. One of my friends bought her May Ball dress from it in first year. I can spend hours in there just looking - they have a great collection of shoes and gloves. :yep:
The West Wing
Why a randomer?

I was easily persuaded in the bar after Formal...
Well, shadowing scheme was awesome. Really happy I got someone so easy to talk to. :biggrin:

Although problem is, now I have about 2 days to read for and write an essay. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending