The Student Room Group

Should young people (cadets) be allowed to fire at targets resembling humans?

Howdy,

In response to this article:

http://www.stainesnews.co.uk/staines-and-ashford-news/news-staines-and-ashford/2010/01/12/anti-terror-cops-swooped-on-student-protester-54472-25601268/

We have three cadets forces: army, air and sea cadets. As the article states, all three forces fire live rounds at military ranges across the country. Quite often the targets resemble a human being, normally a running figure holding a rifle, like so:

The fellow mentioned in the article seemed to disagree with this practice and decided to resolve the matter by putting a banner up. I found this as a bit of a non-story but after mentioning it to a couple of friends in school today, a bit of a debate was sparked and many different points of view were held; therefore, I was curious as to your opinion on this matter. Should cadets be allowed to fire at 'human' targets? Should young people be even allowed near to a live weapon? Is it right?

I'm a cadet myself so my opinion is rather biased but, naturally, I'd like to think I'm in the know. Safety is of paramount importance at every shooting event, and you must pass tests and sit in lectures in order to handle a live weapon and then every 6 months pass refresher courses. The weapons are handled safely and a day's shooting is always great fun. Does it incite violence and encourage murder? Pfft, does it Hell. There's no doubt that the weapons we do fire are more than capable of taking a life, but that doesn't mean the intent is there.

But of course, as I say, I'm much more inclined to think this guy is a complete tool rather than think "He has a point".

Your opinions please!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who cares..People can be so petty, I mean seriously, give it a rest.
Reply 2
I'm an air cadet and I don't have a problm with it at all, because when you're shooting at them you can't really tell what it looks like, and it doesn't look like a person that much anyway.
Of course. The only reason you have a gun is to kill. Might as well get practice in from a young age.
Is this not what they're being trained for?

The army, where humans fire at other humans?
No.

They should only be allowed to shoot at targets resembling zombies - The only real threat to Humanity.

Then again, Zombies do resemble Humans...
That guy sounds like a nob.
I was in the cadets for two years and hated it :p: but I wouldn't say "no, don't let children touch live weapons"- in fact it's THAT attitude to gund tht, IMO, is most likely to damage a child's view of weapons.

I've handled live weapons in various forms since the age of 9 (always with an adult present- duh!- who had a valid license for the weapons of course) and this has taught me real respect for the weapons- no I don't mean I bow down and worship them before someone says something moronic :biggrin: - as I realise how dangerous they are. Unless I join the army (which I won't) or move to America (which I won't) I will never point a live weapon at another human being as being exposed to these weapons has taught me what they can do (especially when an army cadet officer shoots a tomato with a live round and says "right, that's your eye. You shoot someone by accident, that's what could happen. BAM! Their eye is gone. And maybe their brain too")
Reply 7

I think this one should be used.
this must be a joke
Reply 9
Absolutely not. It is a fact that children can barely discern between GTA and real life, that's the cause of all crime in the UK. Should we allow our children to shoot a target, they may become disorientated and begin a British Columbine. It's true, ask any Tory MP.
Reply 10
He's got his wish though. The cadets and Armed Forces don't train murderers, just lawful killers.

*braces for cotton-wool-wrapped impact*
I'm a cadet, and firing at these gives me no desire to want to go out and try it with real people. If you're the type of person who would feel such a need, chances are you would never pass the Weapons Handling Test in the first place, and would not be allowed anywhere near live rounds.
Reply 12
I'm in the air cadets too, and I think that this whole issue is ridiculous. The whole purpose behind the existence of weapons is to kill people, therefore we shouldn't act as if they aren't.
Reply 13
that paper target had a wife and three kids, not only that he was also only two days away from retirement.
When I was in cadets I was told that we're not, but they still had loads of old targets left over and didn't want to waste them. Personally, I didn't care, I just saw a man-shaped blob instead of a circular shaped blob. Having said that, I don't disagree with him, but after my experience in cadets I doubt their ability to teach anyone anything.
Reply 15
Don't forget that non-cadet soldiers fire at the same target...

I shoot at human frames every time I go shooting. That's because that's the point, and will make it easier to shoot a real human if the need arises, which is why soldiers are educated in the first place. I don't see any problem on any scale here whatsoever.
mikeyd85
Of course. The only reason you have a gun is to kill. Might as well get practice in from a young age.

No it isn't, I know a bunch of lads who go clay pigeon shooting. The only damage they cause is the rearrangement of a few Halloysite molecules.

OP of course they should, makes it more fun.
guns are for shooting people, right? so the targets should look like people if they're going to look like anything. what's the problem?
I blame the targets really.
Lust of a Gardener
No.

They should only be allowed to shoot at targets resembling zombies - The only real threat to Humanity.

Then again, Zombies do resemble Humans...

then lets set them up aginst xombie robots

no wait robots are human looking to and some PC brigade will havea go at that

ok little bunny rabbits no wait bunnies are cute and some PC brigade will have a go at that

how about they shoot at deer but thier living creatures too and some PC brigade will have a go at that

so how about they play laser tag with each other but that simulates combat (shock horror for a freaking soldier) and some PC brigade will havea go at that

how abut we just disarm and let everyone come in and say howdy and some PC brigade will have a go at that to

how about - those PC muppets shut the feth up and let the cadets do what the cadets should be doing

Latest

Trending

Trending