The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

The Portsmouth FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
You will need ur old NHS medical card, i think that updates ur old doctor but it does no harm telling them
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
I bowled it up, asked them to take my stitches out, "sorry we can't find you on the system, when did you register?", well I didn't so I filled in some forms and the next day I went in for my "medical" and had my stitches out at the same time. That's about it.
Reply 62
Hello everyone, I'm new to this board. Had a question about computers. I got a letter from the uni saying not to buy a computer unless you have on as they will give you the correct requirements. Does anyone know what these are? Are they subject specific? I'll be studying Architecture, lookin forward to it :smile: Thankyou for your help. Vinesh
Reply 63
I got my computer with the requirements my lecturer gave me and that's only cause I asked. Not sure if that's just for Architecture.. Prad'll know!
Reply 64
vinnie_86
Hello everyone, I'm new to this board. Had a question about computers. I got a letter from the uni saying not to buy a computer unless you have on as they will give you the correct requirements. Does anyone know what these are? Are they subject specific? I'll be studying Architecture, lookin forward to it :smile: Thankyou for your help. Vinesh

Heya! You're main decision will be deciding on whether you want to buy a Mac or a PC. Once you've decided which one you want, then you don't need to hang about and wait until you're in Portsmouth - just make sure you get a computer with decent specifications. They don't need to be high end, but should be pretty decent. Look at the TSR Architecture Society (TSR ArchSoc - the link is in my sig) thread - there's information about computer specs in there.

The CAD software that you'll need (mainly Vectorworks 11) is pretty expensive though, but it can be "acquired".. :wink:
Reply 65
I know this is a really stupid question...and i should know as i was the one that opened the bank accoutn etc....but...:
ive opened a bank account with Natwest with the ful overdraft an di was just wondering when the overdraft had to be paid off?would i have to pay a little bit each month? Also do i get charged if i dnt pay some off within a couple of months or something? i really dnt have a clue beacuse i hadnt even thought about it,lol! As im one of the younger ones this is my first overdraft....Thank you
I think its interest free for a certain amount of time.
Reply 67
Whats the amount of time?...sorry im so not in the no,lol
An interest-free buffer for NatWest Student Account holders living on a tight budget.

Borrow up to £2,000

We'll agree on the amount that is right for you, and you can apply to increase it at any time during the year.

No charges on your agreed limit

Once you've arranged your overdraft, we won't charge you interest on what you borrow and you won't pay any overdraft fees when you stay within your agreed limit.
Reply 69
oh right...thank you!! i should of done that my lazy self shouldnt i!?
Reply 70
Its interest free for as long after you graduate since youve had it...

The nice lady at natwest told me, that as my course should be 3 years, it'll be interest free for 6. But they'll give you more of an overdraft for the next 3 years, and then they'll start lowering it..

I don't know if that made alot of sense, but I hope it mad ea little..

P.S. Don't use your overdraft unless you've gone in to set it up and stuff. I thought mine had been put there automatically, luckily I didn't try and use it, but I had to go in with my UCAS acceptance letter before they'd give me an overdraft!
Reply 71
i think its been sorted bcoz when i check my bank accoutn it says available balance £1,250! that should mean its been sorted shouldnt it? oh i dunno tbh Natwest have really annoyed me so far,lol
Reply 72
Awilliams
i think its been sorted bcoz when i check my bank accoutn it says available balance £1,250! that should mean its been sorted shouldnt it? oh i dunno tbh Natwest have really annoyed me so far,lol

Yeah Awilliams, I'm with Natwest you've got your overdraft sorted :biggrin:
Reply 73
woohoo....so technically i could go out spending now...?!? and not have to pay until after i finish uni and i have nothing to pay? so i keep asking im just worried that il get a letter sayin gi have to pay it or il get charged and il have no money,lol
Reply 74
yeah thats what i did i got it and went out drinkin lol i'm now overdrawn
im trying to steer well clear of my overdraft, i know two guys who worked full time since j une to pay off their overdraft and save enough to survive.
Reply 76
Yeah, i suppose so but if you think about it there is plenty of time to pay it off,lol!

Just a quick question for people that have stayed in halls before...and i knw its a bit of a stupid question but generaly do you get orange phone signal in the halls? inparticular james watson!
Reply 77
and im with natwest too! the girl was lovely and was like you'll have a great time partying in portsmouth! hehe so what shall i spend the first £100 of my overdraft on!
Reply 78
first £100 of my overdraft has gone... wooops
Reply 79
I have firmed my offer fr portsmouth, however, as i have had the past two weeks off school,the school have threatened to withdraw my reference from the uni, as it gives a 'false representation'. in my opininon this is ridiculous, i can't help being ill. but i was just wondering, can they actually do this? and will i loose my place if they do?
also, i recieved a letter from the uni, asking for confirmation of my gcse grades, is this normal?
Thankyou.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending