The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Possibly. I think the unis get told that you plagiarised and then its up to them whether they accept you.

Why did you plagiarise parts? Are you too lazy to write it yourself? It's not particularly hard.
You should ring them up and find out what will happen from here. The unis will probably be told though
Reply 3
lazy, lazy, lazy.
Why cant people just write for themselves these days. I'm not the most academic person in the world but I still managed to sell myself to uni's without cheating even if it was only 3/5 of them.
It doesnt matter if you change words. They all go through a plagerism scanner which will highlight similarities in content, and patterns in the work (or personal statement), like the order of how you said things. Changing words does nothing at all.
In the email UCAS have sent you they should inform you what is happening now - basically, the universities will be informed of the similarity match and then it is up to them to decide what they want to do, UCAS don't have any control over the way the case is dealt with in terms of your application. Some universities might not do anything and treat your application as normal, and others may potentially void your application and say you are unsuccessful. It depends on them and their policy plus how much you've copied from someone else. You will only have recieved this notification if your PS was deemed to be more than 10% similar to something else, so an entire paragraph is a fair amount!

As I said, whether you are screwed or not depends on how seriously the universities treat notifications on plagiarism they get from UCAS and all of them have different policies.
Reply 6
Can he not ask for his application to me removed, register again with a proper personal statement as a alte entry and make it though extra?
^
What he said.
Reply 8
spamking
Can he not ask for his application to me removed, register again with a proper personal statement as a alte entry and make it though extra?

You can only make one application per cycle, so no.
Reply 9
As said earlier there has to be a certain percentage of the statement which is similar.
Why did you copy though? This is a fairly easy piece to write, would you copy others work in your final year of university? Honestly I hope you still get into a university that you applied for, but this doesn't sound good and it's something you could have easily avoided.
You plagarised and so you don't deserve to go through the application process in my opinion.
Reply 11
What if you copied bits out of your old PS into your new one, does that still count?

P.S I had a total change of info on my application so it may appear as a different student.
Diaz89
What if you copied bits out of your old PS into your new one, does that still count?

P.S I had a total change of info on my application so it may appear as a different student.

If you have linked your new UCAS application to your previous one by including the UCAS number etc then it doesn't count as plagiarism as they know they are both by you. This is providing you haven't posted your PS online (excluding in PS help) in the mean time, as then if you have, it is possible for you to be flagged up as plagiarising yourself, yes.
Reply 13
oxymoronic
If you have linked your new UCAS application to your previous one by including the UCAS number etc then it doesn't count as plagiarism as they know they are both by you. This is providing you haven't posted your PS online (excluding in PS help) in the mean time, as then if you have, it is possible for you to be flagged up as plagiarising yourself, yes.

Bloody hell! thanks for the help though, but I guess I'm out of the water telling from the fact that it say my application has been processed and I'll be getting a welcome letter shortly?
Diaz89
Bloody hell! thanks for the help though, but I guess I'm out of the water telling from the fact that it say my application has been processed and I'll be getting a welcome letter shortly?

If your application has been processed then one would assume you are all clear, yes :smile: Remember that loads of people reapply using bits from their previous PS and UCAS doesn't flag all of them up for plagiarism, so providing you've done everything properly you don't have a need to worry.
Reply 15
:gasp: thats just pure laziness, Im not saying dont look at other ps to help you with the layout and ideas of what you should mention and stuff but copying? :lolwut: its just taking someone else's hard work, thoughts and time. Tbh im glad you got found out :/
just today my maths teacher warned us about plagarising from people's PS, You should't be tempted by other people's work. Lets hope you learn from this.
Reply 17
Thanks for to the people for the useful help
SAFE

Latest

Trending

Trending