The Student Room Group

Radiography personal statement help

Hi guys! I’m in year 13 and struggling to write my personal statement. Could you possibly give me some sentence starters.
I also was struggling to link how my ALEVEL subjects relate to radiography. I am doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. So if you have any idea how these subjects link to radiography I’d be forever grateful! Also if you do have any questions for me I could help to the best of my ability! Also do I need to relate to other branches of radiography like therapeutic radiography and oncology etc. thanks in advance for any help you can give! All the best x
You don't need to and probably shouldn't be wasting personal statement characters "linking" your subjects to the course. The admissions team for that course already know what subjects are or aren't relevant, and bland statements about this does not tell them what your motivations to pursue that course and, crucially, profession are.

Also you can't ask for "sentence starters" online because then if you use them it will flag as plagiarism in UCAS's plagiarism checker...
Original post by artful_lounger
You don't need to and probably shouldn't be wasting personal statement characters "linking" your subjects to the course. The admissions team for that course already know what subjects are or aren't relevant, and bland statements about this does not tell them what your motivations to pursue that course and, crucially, profession are.

Also you can't ask for "sentence starters" online because then if you use them it will flag as plagiarism in UCAS's plagiarism checker...

Thank you, This was very helpful, and sorry about asking for sentence starters. I was unaware that this may seem like plagiarism. Thank you for telling me.
Also what do you think would make you stand out more on a personal statement? Would it only be down to the extra curricular activities you pursue, and the experience you have?
Original post by WorriedStudent00
Thank you, This was very helpful, and sorry about asking for sentence starters. I was unaware that this may seem like plagiarism. Thank you for telling me.
Also what do you think would make you stand out more on a personal statement? Would it only be down to the extra curricular activities you pursue, and the experience you have?

It wouldn't seem like plagiarism, it would be plagiarism - and easily detected as well.

"Standing out" is almost always a mistake. If you stand out it will be for the wrong reasons.

Ultimately what they are looking for is people committed to working in that profession who are aware of the scope of the profession within the NHS and what challenges may exist there and what opportunities may develop in the future. They probably also want to see that you have relevant work experience in a caring role that you have reflected on.

Most healthcare professions degrees interview applicants and I suspect in most cases the interview is the thing which will differentiate between applicants. The personal statement may not even be formally scored, or even read in some cases.
Reply 4
Hi guys! I’m in year 13 and struggling to write my personal statement. Could you possibly give me some sentence starters.
I also was struggling to link how my ALEVEL subjects relate to radiography. I am doing Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. So if you have any idea how these subjects link to radiography I’d be forever grateful! Also if you do have any questions for me I could help to the best of my ability! Also do I need to relate to other branches of radiography like therapeutic radiography and oncology etc. thanks in advance for any help you can give! All the best x

Hi, I am also in year 13 and have written my personal statement . I wish you great luck with writing yours and hope that it won’t be as stressful as mine was to write so I hope these sentence starters are helpful.
Best Wishes & Good Luck
-appleonly

I became interested in radiography after reading

My interest in this area developed while I was

My personal experience of X has prompted me to want to study radiography

My (initial) interest in this area began with… arose when stemmed from was sparked by developed while I was
Original post by artful_lounger
It wouldn't seem like plagiarism, it would be plagiarism - and easily detected as well.

"Standing out" is almost always a mistake. If you stand out it will be for the wrong reasons.

Ultimately what they are looking for is people committed to working in that profession who are aware of the scope of the profession within the NHS and what challenges may exist there and what opportunities may develop in the future. They probably also want to see that you have relevant work experience in a caring role that you have reflected on.

Most healthcare professions degrees interview applicants and I suspect in most cases the interview is the thing which will differentiate between applicants. The personal statement may not even be formally scored, or even read in some cases.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by appleonly
Hi, I am also in year 13 and have written my personal statement . I wish you great luck with writing yours and hope that it won’t be as stressful as mine was to write so I hope these sentence starters are helpful.
Best Wishes & Good Luck
-appleonly

I became interested in radiography after reading

My interest in this area developed while I was

My personal experience of X has prompted me to want to study radiography

My (initial) interest in this area began with… arose when stemmed from was sparked by developed while I was

Honestly appreciate this thanks so much! Good luck with your application and I wish you all the best!
Your PS should highlight why you enjoy radiology and how you plan to pursue it at uni. You could explain how certain topics interest you in your A-level subjects, and any supercurriculars/further reading/anything else you've done to take it forward. You don't need to relate it to any other branches of radiography unless you feel like it is a relevant point to mention in your PS.
Threads merged - please don't make multiple threads on the same subject. :smile:
Honestly, there are loads of really useful guides for how to do a personal statement on YouTube, many of them produced by admissions teams at universities.

Hi there,

I am a Radiographer, if you need some support, feel free to private message me. We can have a look at this personal statement and get through it together!
Please don't encourage users (usually under 18s) to PM you their personal statements. There is an official personal statement review service on TSR that is offered by DBS-checked community members.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending