The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

kellywood_5
I think so :smile: Taking history as well as biology and chemistry shows you have the ability to write coherently and analytically. It also shows you're well-rounded, which is definitely an asset, in particular for medicine. And having one mickey mouse subject won't condemn you to rejection- at least I hope not, since I do sociology! :p:

Lol what career/s are you interested in?
loradora68
Lol what career/s are you interested in?

I want to be a secondary school languages teacher :smile:
i wanted to do as level history, but the syllabus covers russia and britain . i'd love it if it covered nazis, the tudors
kellywood_5
I want to be a secondary school languages teacher :smile:

Wow that sounds great - I toyed with the idea of taking French for A/S but I'd have been the only student in the class! :p: Good Luck with whatever you want to do! :smile:
loradora68
Wow that sounds great - I toyed with the idea of taking French for A/S but I'd have been the only student in the class! :p: Good Luck with whatever you want to do! :smile:

Thanks, you too :smile: Wow, languages must be even more unpopular in your school than they are in mine! There were 5 in my AS class, although 1 hardly ever turned up and 2 others had very variable attendance, so usually there were only 3 of us, sometimes 2, sometimes 4 and sometimes just me.
kellywood_5
Thanks, you too :smile: Wow, languages must be even more unpopular in your school than they are in mine! There were 5 in my AS class, although 1 hardly ever turned up and 2 others had very variable attendance, so usually there were only 3 of us, sometimes 2, sometimes 4 and sometimes just me.

Yep, even at GCSE the take-up for languages was extremely poor IMO - around 20 candidates for French (many of whom openly regret taking the subject) and a meagre 5/6 for Spanish. Shame really, as languages can be so beneficial.
loradora68
Yep, even at GCSE the take-up for languages was extremely poor IMO - around 20 candidates for French (many of whom openly regret taking the subject) and a meagre 5/6 for Spanish. Shame really, as languages can be so beneficial.

It was still compulsory to take a language when I chose my GCSEs. I feel old :wink:
kellywood_5
It was still compulsory to take a language when I chose my GCSEs. I feel old :wink:

:biggrin: lol dont worry - this year's GCSE was the first optional year!

Latest