The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
TRIGGER2121
Does any one know weather Brum uni has a gym for students. I went to become a member and know how much it would cost and where is it. i will be living at elgar court, so will it be close to me.

There is a gym in the munroe sports centre, which is on central campus- so about 20/25 mins walk from elgar court.

I'm not sure how much it costs but you will get all that info when you arrive- or you could check out the website.

www.sport.bham.ac.uk

Ruthie xx
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
sorry, this ain't got nothing to do with your question.. How come you already know that you've got accomodation in elgar??? Has it been confirmed already
Reply 3
Estella
sorry, this ain't got nothing to do with your question.. How come you already know that you've got accomodation in elgar??? Has it been confirmed already

i have an unconditional offer from Brum to study eco. i emailed the accom dept a few months ago saying do i get my first choice which was elgar court because of my unconditional offer, and they said yes i would.
Reply 4
The munroe gym is very good, but also very expensive. You can pay termly or yearly, and it's something like £150 a term. Only bother with that if you plan to go at least 4 times a week (and that might change when you get to uni). I reckon a better option is Tiverton Gym - about 5 minutes walk from campus. It's smaller, but still got everything you need. It's also a lot quieter than Munroe, so you can actually get on the equipment. You pay £10 for joining and induction, and then £2 every time you go. That way you don't end up wasting loads of money if you don't go as often as you initially thought.

ETA: Munroe's about 30 minutes walk from Elgar Court, but right next to campus so you could go before/after lectures. Tiverton's only 5 minutes further away.
Reply 5
This probably isn't very constructive, but i have to disagree on the walking time to the Munroe center. I would say it is a fifteen to twenty minute walk. Presumably for those whom it takes longer to get there don't go there enough....
haha jus joking, im sure you are all the epitome of fitness, i think its just because i have very long legs.
Reply 6
pai_mae
The munroe gym is very good, but also very expensive. You can pay termly or yearly, and it's something like £150 a term. Only bother with that if you plan to go at least 4 times a week (and that might change when you get to uni). I reckon a better option is Tiverton Gym - about 5 minutes walk from campus. It's smaller, but still got everything you need. It's also a lot quieter than Munroe, so you can actually get on the equipment. You pay £10 for joining and induction, and then £2 every time you go. That way you don't end up wasting loads of money if you don't go as often as you initially thought.

ETA: Munroe's about 30 minutes walk from Elgar Court, but right next to campus so you could go before/after lectures. Tiverton's only 5 minutes further away.

According to the gym homepage packages for students start at £35 per year http://www.sport.bham.ac.uk/membership/student.htm
and that number is nowhere near the £300 you mentioned above.
Do you know anyone who actually paid £150 per term for a membership?
The £35 mentioned was probably joining fees for a sports socitey. If you intend on joining any sports socitey you will pay memberships for both the sport and AU (Athletic Union), generally around £60-£70 total.

The gym is alot more expensive, you will probably have to pay the AU Fee (so £35) plus membership for the gym!! which is the big one, I'm sure its in the £300 region, don't quote me though.

Tiverton gym does offer students a 3 month unlimited deal, I think its currently £56 for the 3 months!!
Reply 8
* holds hand up as naive first year who paid £150 *
yup, it was me. i have firsthand experience, thanks, of both the munroe and tiverton gym :P. i'm not in the business of making **** up so that you'll all go to the wrong place. munroe's major advantage is that it's bigger and got more flashy equipment but if you don't care about stuff like that, don't bother.

and ok, maybe it's more of a 30 minute dawdle than walk heh.
Reply 9
How far is Tiverton Gym from The Vale?
Reply 10
I think walking from the beeches to uni and back every day will be enough for me! stuff that gym melarke!!
Reply 11
tiverton's probably about a 20 minute walk from the vale. but as i said, only about 10 minutes from campus so it's pretty convenient before and after lectures. and it's uphill all the way so you get a decent warm-up hehe.

poor dan living at the beeches. ouch.
Reply 12
pai_mae

ah dont you love that feeling of 'fudge! have i made the wrong choice for accomodation?'. hehe! you just talking as its a way out of the uni, or anything else wrong with the beeches?? I am going to take my bike as well so hopefully cycling wont be long to the computing campus, and also, i get to wear groovy reflective clothes! now who's unlucky not living in the beeches :P haha
Reply 13
pai_mae
tiverton's probably about a 20 minute walk from the vale. but as i said, only about 10 minutes from campus so it's pretty convenient before and after lectures. and it's uphill all the way so you get a decent warm-up hehe.

Well atleast it's down hill on the way back :smile:
kizdesai
Well atleast it's down hill on the way back :smile:

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending