The Student Room Group

Birmingham or York?

Decisions, decisions!

I know a lot of you will be starting to decide on your firm uni choice, but which university should you choose? It can be a tricky decision to make, especially if you’re torn between two equally good choices.

I’m originally from York and could talk for days about all the pros of being a student there. It’s a historic city, with lots of areas to explore. A great student nightlife, plenty of restaurants, cafes, shops to try. Although a city, York offers a slower pace of city living than somewhere like Birmingham. There’s also good transport links to nearby cities, like Leeds. And there’s always something going on in the city centre, whether it be a food festival, or Viking festival weekend!

But now I’m studying in Birmingham, I have gotten to know a different kind of city life. Birmingham is vibrant, urban, exciting. There’s so much to do, from shopping in the Bullring, to finding a nice spot for lunch, to having a wander around the city library. There’s Digbeth, which is a great hive for students with gaming bars, second hand shopping, and street art. And a short journey out of the city will take you to other nearby towns for even more places to explore.

But how do you choose a uni when they both have great perks?

Here is my go-to checklist I used when picking a university…

1. Your course make sure you’re happy with the course content, facilities, length.

2. The university what else does the uni offer? Societies? Opportunities? Student Support?

3. Accommodation a home away from home, you want to live somewhere you like!

4. The city itself do you want a big city like Brum? Or a smaller city vibe like York? Try and visit if you can!

If you’re stuck deciding on unis and cities maybe even between Birmingham and York have a go at weighing up each option using the checklist above and see if there’s one that starts to stand out for you.

Any questions about Birmingham, York, or choosing your uni, drop them in this thread!

Emily :smile:

Student Rep at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending