The Student Room Group

An appeal to TSR

I would like to call for something of a liberalisation of the way TSR operates.

All I see as I'm navigating around this site is streams upon streams of deleted posts and pedantic, arsey comments. It appears all people want to do on this site is whine and complain about the site itself and other members.

Not only is there almost entire threads being deleted, but people like Vienna are calling for draconian measures regarding rep and it is pointless rubbish like this that is leading to members like Amy leaving the site for good.

For example, I made a post a few weeks ago that read "All christians want is for homosexuals to burn in hell", which wouldn't go down too well with christians, but what do i care? We have free speech in reality, why not on TSR? The post was deleted and I was given 2 warning points for it immediately, despite nobody actually reporting it. Apparently I was "inciting racial hatred".

This is not just an appeal to mods, but to TSR as a whole, to sort out something of an attitude problem.

To improve TSR I would recommend the following:

- Liberal, relaxed rules surrounding reputation. IMO, if people want to wh0re then they should be able to, if people want to insult each other in rep then they should be able to. There should certainly not be even tighter controls, that for example Vienna is calling for.

- Less sub-snobbery. The relentless newbie bashing is unhealthy for TSR, it goes without saying really.

- Moderators need to relax and sit back. The current approach is far too authoritarian and it is IMO dividing mods and normal members. If this carries on, there will be reduced respect for the moderation.
At the same time, some members need to give mods more of a chance, rather than starting a thread everytime something happens to have a moan and to poke fun at the mods.
When this happens, the intention is purely to antagonise mods and divide members, because if they really wanted an explanation, they would take it to the Ask a Mod forum first, rather than "About" which is visible to the whole of TSR and usually fuels some bitter arguing.

- Less post reporting unless it is neccessary. I for one am sick of scrolling down threads to find that half the posts have been deleted because they are all "spam". Policing on this site is too heavy.

Of course theres more problems but these are key IMO to improving TSR. This advice will probably be ignored, but I would atleast like people to think about what I'm saying.

:smile:

Thanks,
Anthony

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Beekeeper

All I see as I'm navigating around this site is streams upon streams of deleted posts and pedantic, arsey comments. It appears all people want to do on this site is whine and complain about the site itself and other members.

Not only is there almost entire threads being deleted, but people like Vienna are calling for draconian measures regarding rep and it is pointless rubbish like this that is leading to members like Amy leaving the site for good.

For example, I made a post a few weeks ago that read "All christians want is for homosexuals to burn in hell", which wouldn't go down too well with christians, but what do i care? We have free speech in reality, why not on TSR? The post was deleted and I was given 2 warning points for it immediately, despite nobody actually reporting it. Apparently I was "inciting racial hatred".

This is not just an appeal to mods, but to TSR as a whole, to sort out something of an attitude problem.

- Liberal, relaxed rules surrounding reputation. IMO, if people want to wh0re then they should be able to, if people want to insult each other in rep then they should be able to. There should certainly not be even tighter controls, that for example Vienna is calling for.

- Less sub-snobbery. The relentless newbie bashing is unhealthy for TSR, it goes without saying really.

- Moderators need to relax and sit back. The current approach is far too authoritarian and it is IMO dividing mods and normal members. If this carries on, there will be reduced respect for the moderation.
At the same time, some members need to give mods more of a chance, rather than starting a thread everytime something happens to have a moan and to poke fun at the mods.
When this happens, the intention is purely to antagonise mods and divide members, because if they really wanted an explanation, they would take it to the Ask a Mod forum first, rather than "About" which is visible to the whole of TSR and usually fuels some bitter arguing.

- Less post reporting unless it is neccessary. I for one am sick of scrolling down threads to find that half the posts have been deleted because they are all "spam". Policing on this site is too heavy.

Of course theres more problems but these are key IMO to improving TSR. This advice will probably be ignored, but I would atleast like people to think about what I'm saying.

Thanks,
Anthony

Nice post. Some of the mods seem to be on a power trip at the mo!
Reply 2
Vienna is going to have a field day debating about this. :p:
Reply 3
Bilal786
Nice post. Some of the mods seem to be on a power trip at the mo!

Yes, but members are also on a "lets all bash the mods" trip atm.

Cooperation is needed all over TSR, not just by the mods.
Reply 4
Beekeeper

Thanks,
Anthony

Erm, I'd class that as racial hatrid. Not exactly the nicest thing to say :eek:

Moderation is there for a reason :wink: If people didn't spam the forum with "junk", then there would be no need to delete it. However, thats not the case :eek:

Until people stop acting like 5 year olds, then maybe it will be changed :redface:

Try telling that to some people on TSR. There is reporting, and just reporting to annoy the mod team. The first one is fine, but in terms of the second one... don't people have anything better to do, than report un-offensive/un-reportable threads/posts? :P

Sorry if this post isn't quite what you were expecting. Time permitting, I would have typed a longer one... but I don't have much free time, so this is the best I could do :tsr:

Cheers
Reply 5
What a stupid thread :rolleyes:

:p:
Reply 6
Okay, it would help if some of the mods would listen to members concerns and suggestions aswell, rather than just discarding them at first sight.

What are we to expect from the little TSR members if even the top guy on tsr doesn't want to know about it?
Reply 7
Ellie4

At least he's trying =)
Reply 8
Beekeeper

Thanks,
Anthony

I havent called for any tighter control, so Id appreciate it if you didnt refer to me multiple times with lies.
Reply 9
Ellie4

Oh thank you daughter.

Can you please sort out that apostrophe in my name in your sig please? How disrespectful :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Vienna
I havent called for any tighter control, so Id appreciate it if you didnt refer to me multiple times with lies.

You want rep to be removed if it contains an insult? non?
Reply 11
A
Erm, I'd class that as racial hatrid. Not exactly the nicest thing to say :eek:

Its religion, thus an ideology. It has nothing to do with race.
Reply 12
and can people stop quoting the first post. :frown: It is too long to quote :frown:
Vienna
Its religion, thus an ideology. It has nothing to do with race.

Well than change what he said to "religious hatred" and you'll find the solution to your apparent problem.
Reply 14
Beekeeper

What are we to expect from the little TSR members if even the top guy on tsr doesn't want to know about it?
Maybe next time. You're 'trying' though, which is good. :p:
Reply 15
Just as I expected, the thread has been on TSR for just over 10 minutes and all people are doing is ripping the first post to pieces and analysing it.

This is the attitude problem I'm talking about that is poisoning TSR and dividing members.
Reply 16
Beekeeper
You want rep to be removed if it contains an insult? non?

That would be calling for an application of the current guidelines. I already made it perfectly clear that whether they be lenient or draconian, my concern is that they are applied consistently for all. With a large member base, I believe in guidelines and respect for them.
Reply 17
Beekeeper
Okay, it would help if some of the mods would listen to members concerns and suggestions aswell, rather than just discarding them at first sight.

> Okay, it would help if some of the mods would listen to members concerns and suggestions aswell, rather than just discarding them at first sight.

True =) However, just because people don't see a discussion going on about a thread/specific users, doesn't mean we're not debating the case, before banning/deleting threads.

>>
<<

I didn't say that :P I was only really replying to the start of your thread (after re-reading, I realise you're not just aiming it at the mod team :redface: ). I'd love to see more co-operation between members/mods/super-mods ... but the way things are going ATM, it doesn't look like its going to ever happen, as so many users seem to be "in it for themselves", with no intention of helping other users (i.e with helpful information, or even just being kind to them.. without abusing them/things about them) :frown:

Hopefully that makes sense.. I typed it a little quick <G>

Cheers
Reply 18
englishstudent
Well than change what he said to "religious hatred" and you'll find the solution to your apparent problem.

Seeing as one is a criminal offence and the other isnt, it makes a significant difference.
Reply 19
Vienna
That would be calling for an application of the current guidelines. I already made it perfectly clear that whether they be lenient or draconian, my concern is that they are applied consistently for all. With a large member base, I believe in guidelines and respect for them.

If legislation was brought in that outlawed insults in conversation, would you approve?
What makes it any different on TSR? There seems to be this notion that TSR requires super-policing.

If someone is insulted in a PM, it is probably provoked, and it poses no immediate threat. The rep should not be considered void because the recipient does not approve.
If anything, rep rules need to be liberalised.

Latest

Trending

Trending