The Student Room Group

Failing one module

What should I do? I failed one module at second attempt in first year but passed everything all. Can you appeal to a second chance even if my uni does not allow it
Original post by Anonymous
What should I do? I failed one module at second attempt in first year but passed everything all. Can you appeal to a second chance even if my uni does not allow it

Are you asking whether you can do something which you know your uni doesn't allow you to do? Surely you've answered your own question?

Which uni is this? (They all have different rules and regulations.)
Reply 2
My uni is UOM, basically I failed at two attempts this module but pass everything and just received a letter to be dismissed in my course. I am panicking as I don’t know what to do
My uni is UOM, basically I failed at two attempts this module but pass everything and just received a letter to be dismissed in my course. I am panicking as I don’t know what to do

Have you read the letter carefully and thoroughly, or have you just skimmed it? Does it mention the appeals procedure? If you opted to appeal, what would the basis you for appeal be? (As that say in A Basic Guide to Academic Appeals, "Being disappointed with your results is not a basis for appeal."

The Academic Appeals Procedure is here. Note paragraph 2 which details the four grounds upon which an appeal may be lodged. Which of these do you think applies?

Have you contacted your School for advice? Or the Students Union? (Details of their advice service are here.)

You said you "failed one module at second attempt in first year", so this is clearly a 1st year module. Are you end the end of 1st year now, or did you carry over the credits from the module and retake the exam during 2nd year? Have you been given the opportunity to retake the whole level (year), rather than be withdrawn? According to paragraph 11 of their current Undergraduate Degree Regulations:

"11. Where a student has failed more than the required credits on the first attempt, or fails to meet progression requirements after compensation or reassessment, the Examination Board has the following options at its discretion:
Withdraw the student and award an Exit Award if criteria are met in accordance with table 1 (section A, page 2).
Permit the student to retake the level (see section I on repeating the level)
Permit the student to carry over up to 20 credits (see section H on carrying forward failed credit) in exceptional circumstances, as defined by an Examination Board"

They appear have to gone down the "Withdraw the student..." route when there are clearly two alternative routes available.
Reply 4
Just finished my first year. And yes I can appeal everyone was on leave but hopefully by Monday I should meet with an advisor to help with appeal. I was not given any opportunity to mitigate my circumstances. Thank you very much this is helpful.
Just finished my first year. And yes I can appeal everyone was on leave but hopefully by Monday I should meet with an advisor to help with appeal. I was not given any opportunity to mitigate my circumstances. Thank you very much this is helpful.

hey , how did this go for you? worried because im in a similar situation
Reply 6
hey , how did this go for you? worried because im in a similar situation

I appeal waiting for the response. What happened did u appeal?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending