The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Overturn exclusion with appeal

I am currently at the university of Manchester in first year and have just been excluded, but am formally appealing on mitigating circumstance related grounds due to mental health for which I have heaps of evidence and have been in touch with the counselling service about who have also sent the uni a letter. I was just wondering if anyone has been through something similar in UoM or if they know of anyone else who has been through something similar? I have been treated so badly by the uni, essentially dropped and treated like a nuisance by every staff member I’ve contacted so at this point I am feeling beyond disheartened and let down. I don’t know much about the process, but if anyone has any information or knows how likely it would be that the exclusion be overturned I would be very grateful.
Reply 1
Why were you expelled?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
Why were you expelled?

I wasn’t expelled I was excluded, because of the work I didn’t hand in even though I was told by my academic advisor that I could resit/resubmit the essays I missed due to mental health. I thought worst case scenario is that they would have made me resit the year but I was given so much misinformation that I’ve ended up here.
Reply 3
It had nothing to do with poor grades as in the first semester I was scoring highly, but as my mental health began to worsen I found it more difficult to study
Reply 4
Original post by tilly01303
It had nothing to do with poor grades as in the first semester I was scoring highly, but as my mental health began to worsen I found it more difficult to study

Original post by Sinnoh
Why were you expelled?

They also got my grades wrong for a specific module and claimed that I’d failed it when I’d passed it
Reply 5
They also got my grades wrong for a specific module and claimed that I’d failed it when I’d passed it

Have you tried contacting the student union about this? They could have a bit more bargaining power
Reply 6
Original post by Sinnoh
Have you tried contacting the student union about this? They could have a bit more bargaining power

Believe me I’ve tried everything. They are so difficult to get hold of. I’m hoping that all will be well and that my appeal will get accepted, but in the mean time it’s very stressful not knowing what to do next.
Reply 7
Believe me I’ve tried everything. They are so difficult to get hold of. I’m hoping that all will be well and that my appeal will get accepted, but in the mean time it’s very stressful not knowing what to do next.

You should be allowed to retake the year at least. First and foremost try to do the following with the assistance of your academic advisor. Mail them, video call them, meet up with them if you have to. Tell them everything you just told us if you haven't already. It is their responsibility to guide you through this. Write down a summary of the key points your situation so you can tell/send them quickly to anyone who you are trying to get help from, as you may to need contact a lot of people and it is important that the people you are speaking to are fully aware of your situation. These could be the course director, head of department, the student union, whoever can help you. If you're on campus go to one of the student hubs to speak to someone face to face

I think you have to appeal the exclusion if you already haven't. There's a section on this on the uni website but your appeal will probably be better if you explain everything you just did (including the grading mistake, how you were misinformed) to someone who knows what they're doing. Don't miss the deadline for the appeal!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hy I am in the same situation with UoM. They said that they are going to exclude me after failing one module. I have made an appeal and told them about my mitigating circumstances along with the proof.
The appeal within the school was declined and now I am waiting for the second appeal.
Did you manage to solve your problem?
Original post by unluckyboy
Hy I am in the same situation with UoM. They said that they are going to exclude me after failing one module. I have made an appeal and told them about my mitigating circumstances along with the proof.
The appeal within the school was declined and now I am waiting for the second appeal.
Did you manage to solve your problem?

Hi
I’m in a similar situation. I appealed to the school but was denied. I didn’t have the chance to appeal a second time. How does that work?
I have gone to the OIA for help now.
Hi I am in a similar situation. However, I was unable to submit a second appeal to the school. I had to go to the OIA. How does your second appeal work?
I am in a similar situation. Would be helpful to know if your appeal was successful.
Reply 12
I don't want to bump old threads but for future reference - it is not the responsibility of the academic advisor to help you with these appeals. It is actually a conflict of interests because as academic staff, the AA is by default a proxy representative of the exam board that you are appealing against. This means that an AA can tell you the procedure is there, but they cannot help a student with it.

Thus, the SU is the way to go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending