The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Pedants are so boring.
Vienna
Seeing as one is a criminal offence and the other isnt, it makes a significant difference.

For how long is it not a criminal offence? :p:

Anyway, that's beside the point. TSR as some people don't seem to have noticed :eek: is not the real world. There are rules on here which don't apply when you switch off the computer.
Reply 22
A
...I'd love to see more co-operation between members/mods/super-mods ... but the way things are going ATM, it doesn't look like its going to ever happen...

That kind of attitude isn't going to help is it?

I've started a thread to promote harmony on TSR and you have effectively said 'no, forget it'.
Reply 23
Vienna
Its religion, thus an ideology. It has nothing to do with race.

Erm, someone taking the micky out of Homosexuality *IS* racial hatrid. Although not quite the same as white/black, or Spanish/Americans. I still class the post in question as racial hatrid. Guess thats just my personal stand on it though :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Beekeeper
That kind of attitude isn't going to help is it?

I've started a thread to promote harmony on TSR and you have effectively said 'no, forget it'.

I think he's saying that some members wouldn't allow it to happen...
I have to say I haven't noticed any more problems than usually hit TSR around summer time with exam results looming and a lot of people feeling bored and stressed.

They don't call it the silly season for nothing and although silliness is fine in moderation - too much and the site starts to loose the features that draw people in.

Beekeeper
- Moderators need to relax and sit back. The current approach is far too authoritarian and it is IMO dividing mods and normal members. If this carries on, there will be reduced respect for the moderation.
At the same time, some members need to give mods more of a chance, rather than starting a thread everytime something happens to have a moan and to poke fun at the mods.
When this happens, the intention is purely to antagonise mods and divide members, because if they really wanted an explanation, they would take it to the Ask a Mod forum first, rather than "About" which is visible to the whole of TSR and usually fuels some bitter arguing.

So far as that goes we *are* making a lot of efforts to relax and join in with the fun on TSR...however in the last few days/weeks things have been very busy from a moderator point of view. A lot of mods are feeling the usual summer stress on top of being overworked and hassled every time they log onto TSR. It doesn't take long before we start to get a bit snappy:frown:.

As it stands we're doing what we can but to a large exetnt that consists of seeing this phase of bickering and nastiness through and trying our hardest to see it for what it is (an expression of boredom and stress) and not as personal dislike...so that once things calm down again and people have their results and every one starts planning for september/october then we can go back to enjoying TSR:smile: instead of our visits being a chore:frown:
Reply 26
Beekeeper
If legislation was brought in that outlawed insults in conversation, would you approve?
What makes it any different on TSR? There seems to be this notion that TSR requires super-policing.

If someone is insulted in a PM, it is probably provoked, and it poses no immediate threat. The rep should not be considered void because the recipient does not approve.
If anything, rep rules need to be liberalised.

So you call for liberalisation in your first post and you call for liberalisation again here. Youre not defending the status quo from my draconian suggestions.

As I said, Im not particuarly bothered whether things become more liberal, the problem is sheer inconsistency. Guidelines are universal. Liberalising to the point where consistency isnt an issue will mean no guidelines at all.
Reply 27
A
Erm, someone taking the micky out of Homosexuality *IS* racial hatrid. Although not quite the same as white/black, or Spanish/Americans. I still class the post in question as racial hatrid. Guess thats just my personal stand on it though :rolleyes:

Nobody was taking the micky out of homosexuals. I was criticising how Christians view homosexuality.

Would you really consider it "incitement of religios hatred"? Is there really any free speech on TSR, or does every post have to be approved by a higher authority?
Reply 28
Beekeeper
Nobody was taking the micky out of homosexuals. I was criticising how Christians view homosexuality.

Would you really consider it "incitement of religios hatred"? Is there really any free speech on TSR, or does every post have to be approved by a higher authority?

If you wouldn't say it in public, don't say it on TSR.

I'd hope you wouldn't say it in public :eek:

Note: most Christians wouldn't like being accused of discriminating against homosexuals.
Reply 29
A

Im sorry, sexuality and nationality are not racial.
Reply 30
Vienna
So you call for liberalisation in your first post and you call for liberalisation again here. Youre not defending the status quo from my draconian suggestions.

As I said, Im not particuarly bothered whether things become more liberal, the problem is sheer inconsistency. Guidelines are universal. Liberalising to the point where consistency isnt an issue will mean no guidelines at all.

I believe in consistency, but that isn't my point. Here is a smile question, a yes or no answer will suffice:

Do you feel that (consistent or not) insults in rep should be reported and removed?
Reply 31
Vienna
Im sorry, sexuality and nationality are not racial.

That's irrelevant. It's still against the law to discriminate on the basis of someone's sexuality or nationality, and you know that is what was meant.
Reply 32
Lauren
If you wouldn't say it in public, don't say it on TSR.

I'd hope you wouldn't say it in public :eek:

Note: most Christians wouldn't like being accused of discriminating against homosexuals.

If I said "Christians usually want homosexuals to burn in hell" in public, I would not be punished.

It is personal opinion, and I would be using my own freedom of speech, a fundamental civil liberty.
Why do these civil liberties not exist on TSR?
Beekeeper

To be honest I don't think anything will actually make TSR totally harmonious. And frankly I don't think that's a bad thing. Get together hundreds of strong-minded young people with widely differing world views and there are going to be times when people get pissed off with each other.

I don't think that:

Allowing people to rep wh0re,

asking the mods to take a back seat, or

allowing copious amounts of spam

is going to make TSR a better place. As for being nice to newbies, I don't think that n00b-hunting is endemic on TSR. There are some who are annoying and will be laughed at and others who make good contributions and will become good members.
Reply 34
Why don't we first agree on the following:

1) Less post reports from members

2) Less willingness to remove posts by mods
Reply 35
PQ
A lot of mods are feeling the usual summer stress on top of being overworked and hassled every time they log onto TSR. It doesn't take long before we start to get a bit snappy.

Im sorry, but I know two of my threads could have been easily avoided had the moderators been polite. I object to being blamed for the insults and bitchiness that one or two of the moderators instigated.
Reply 36
Beekeeper
If I said "Christians usually want homosexuals to burn in hell" in public, I would not be punished.

It is personal opinion, and I would be using my own freedom of speech, a fundamental civil liberty.
Why do these civil liberties not exist on TSR?

Christians don't usually want homosexuals to burn in hell! You might not be punished but you'd piss people off.
Reply 37
Beekeeper
Why don't we first agree on the following:

1) Less post reports from members

2) Less willingness to remove posts by mods

Yes. Alternatively, less offensive posts and less spam. Either's good :smile:
Reply 38
Lauren
Christians don't usually want homosexuals to burn in hell! You might not be punished but you'd piss people off.

So we're not allowed to piss people off on TSR?
Reply 39
Lauren
That's irrelevant.

No it isnt, its a matter of fact. Red isnt black or blue even if they are all colours.

Latest

Trending

Trending