The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Beekeeper
Its a shame some members and mods have just gone on the defensive, rather than address the core issue here.

Speaking as a mod (and I don't think this was particularly addressed to me - I may be wrong :smile:) I think it's hard to act when you feel as though every decision is challenged. I personally feel like I've mellowed a bit recently because it's important to keep the site fun. It'd be nice for the site to be more fluid (which is what I've gathered from your initial post) and I think that comes from both members and mods. I think it becomes tricky when there are grey areas and we have to negotiate between rules, fairness and keeping things as fun as possible.
Reply 81
2 5 +
Whenever this guy posts in this thread, assume a :ditto: from me beneath it. It saves me taking up more posts. :smile:

Nice to see that some people understand what i'm trying to say :smile:
Reply 82
Beekeeper
Nice to see that some people understand what i'm trying to say :smile:

aaawww beekeeper, if we werent both gay i would marry you :smile:
Reply 83
blissy
Speaking as a mod (and I don't think this was particularly addressed to me - I may be wrong :smile:) I think it's hard to act when you feel as though every decision is challenged. I personally feel like I've mellowed a bit recently because it's important to keep the site fun. It'd be nice for the site to be more fluid (which is what I've gathered from your initial post) and I think that comes from both members and mods. I think it becomes tricky when there are grey areas and we have to negotiate between rules, fairness and keeping things as fun as possible.

I agree. It will be more or less impossible or at least very difficult to exercise relaxed moderation as in The Back Room etc, because anyone can view this site, including children. It needs to be kept safe.

I personally think the moderation is generally very good. A couple are harsh but hardly that bad.

blissy baby darl - you're a lovely moderator and I think it's a shame you feel as though your decisions are being challenged.

People are becoming way, way too obsessed with TSR and manifesting every mod decision into something massive! *tuts*
Reply 84
blissy

The thread is addressed to everybody who uses TSR, and few people have responded sensibly and approporiately.

A very simple point i'm making is that everyone, members, subs, mods, admin or whatever, needs to adopt a more relaxed and less anti-social attitude.
Many of TSR's members have an attitude problem in here, and the rules and oppresive impression members are clearly getting from the mods needs to be stopped now.

I do not, for example, want a very acceptable post deleted again (let alone get warning points) because it "incites religious hatred".

Members and mods need to co-operate with each other more, and a few steps that could get us on our way include:
- Less post reporting
- Ease off with the obsession with "spam". The term is used in a criminal way on this site, and it results in the entirety of very acceptable and approporiate threads being deleted.
- Mods being more laid back, there is an impression on the site that they are being too heavy handed, and in many instances, these are substantiated allegations
- Members easing off the mods a bit- Member find it all too easy to start a thread in "about" the minute anythign happens, and it antagonises people and fuels resentment.
- Less hostility towards new members

If people could even do the above, TSR would be a better, more vibrant and varied place to post and enjoy.
Reply 85
red_roadkill

People are becoming way, way too obsessed with TSR and manifesting every mod decision into something massive! *tuts*

Indeed, and this is part of the attitude problem i'm talking about.
Reply 86
2 5 +
Whenever this guy posts in this thread, assume a :ditto: from me beneath it. It saves me taking up more posts. :smile:

:ditto:
red_roadkill

Precisely! Grrrr... :cool:
Reply 88
- Less post reporting
- Ease off with the obsession with "spam". The term is used in a criminal way on this site, and it results in the entirety of very acceptable and approporiate threads being deleted.
- Mods being more laid back, there is an impression on the site that they are being too heavy handed, and in many instances, these are substantiated allegations
- Members easing off the mods a bit- Member find it all too easy to start a thread in "about" the minute anythign happens, and it antagonises people and fuels resentment.
- Less hostility towards new members

I don't see how there is a problem with reporting posts. When a post needs reporting it saves the mods time. And there are some of us who can't report anyways.

If people would not post junk then there wouldn't be any reason for mods to delete spam, or in fact, any reason for people to even think, talk, or complain about spam.

Mods can't lay back or they get jumped on. And it would be irresponsible for them to lay back when there is obviously work that needs done or the site would certainly to to the dogs. I mean, who would join a forum that is more junky than helpful?

And new members only recieve hostility when they don't take the time to learn the forum guidlines and read the freaking FAQ.
Moncal
And there are some of us who can't report anyways.

:confused: How come?

ZarathustraX
Reply 90
Beekeeper
I would like to call for something of a liberalisation of the way TSR operates.

For example, I made a post a few weeks ago that read "All christians want is for homosexuals to burn in hell", which wouldn't go down too well with christians, but what do i care? We have free speech in reality, why not on TSR? The post was deleted and I was given 2 warning points for it immediately, despite nobody actually reporting it. Apparently I was "inciting racial hatred".

I agree with you on this one. I do believe that TSR should allow more free speech, but I alone don't write the rules and guidelines and clearly the majority of the rest of the moderation team doesn't agree with me on that point. Moderators shouldn't have a concurrent role as thought police, but that's just my opinion. It's usually far more effective in shutting someone who posts racist or whatever crap up to leave their thread and let the membership rip their views to pieces in debate rather than to delete it when we think no one's looking.

So, yes, I would welcome liberalisation on TSR in terms of us (the mods) being less trigger happy when it comes to the delete button just because a thread might possibly offend someone.
Reply 91
Zarathustra
:confused: How come?

ZarathustraX

Apparently the DDOS protection is blocking it.
Reply 92
Rich
I agree with you on this one. I do believe that TSR should allow more free speech, but I alone don't write the rules and guidelines and clearly the majority of the rest of the moderation team doesn't agree with me on that point. Moderators shouldn't have a concurrent role as thought police, but that's just my opinion. It's usually far more effective in shutting someone who posts racist or whatever crap up to leave their thread and let the membership rip their views to pieces in debate rather than to delete it when we think no one's looking.

So, yes, I would welcome liberalisation on TSR in terms of us (the mods) being less trigger happy when it comes to the delete button just because a thread might possibly offend someone.

Thanks for your honest support :smile:

I honestly think that as a result, hostility between members and mods would be reduced if such an approach was adopted...
In my experience sites have to be liberal. Totalitarian does not work. You have to hav the arguments to keep the spark, an you need to keep extreme members in line. but not everyone. beekeeper, you've got a point.
Reply 94
Rich
I agree so far as D&D, GD etc and I think it can even be a good thing to put the OP right if they post crap.

Allowing the 'membership to rip views to pieces' is IMO wrong for H&R. I cannot agree with allowing offensive material, or trolling there. If someone is depressed and starts a thread about this, some troll going "depression doesn't exist in the Western world, you're right- you are worthless and nobody cares...etc" is at best making them feel crapper and causing an argument and at worst sending them over the edge. Ditto for other psycho-somatic illnesses. Anyway, I think mods over there are doing an outstanding job. :smile:
Why does everyone always blame Vienna ffs!
wild thing

think if anyone had poointed the finger at Vienna she/he would be the first to complain.This thread is not about Vienna.
Reply 97
Saffie
I agree so far as D&D, GD etc and I think it can even be a good thing to put the OP right if they post crap.

Allowing the 'membership to rip views to pieces' is IMO wrong for H&R. I cannot agree with allowing offensive material, or trolling there. If someone is depressed and starts a thread about this, some troll going "depression doesn't exist in the Western world, you're right- you are worthless and nobody cares...etc" is at best making them feel crapper and causing an argument and at worst sending them over the edge. Ditto for other psycho-somatic illnesses. Anyway, I think mods over there are doing an outstanding job. :smile:

I've been saying that for ages. It's supposed to be a support group. Now, people may argue that support doesn't always come in pretty packages and that brutal honesty is sometimes effective but there's brutal honesty and there's plain brutality.
Reply 98
wild thing

I've been saying that for ages too.

Vienna, make it rain. It's too hot today!
ChelseaBabe
think if anyone had poointed the finger at Vienna she/he would be the first to complain.This thread is not about Vienna.

Yeah but shes always mentioned and everyone points the accusing finger to her.

Latest

Trending

Trending