The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jamie
are you going to post some pics of your trip to see jessicarabbit..?

:ditto:
Reply 141
Jamie
ahhh oilcan is still remembered.
As much as i support liberalising this place - and i do whole heartedly, (especially D&D where attempts to satisfy some members calls for forum consistency' have stiffled debate) i just want to point out that 95%+ of the people banned will still coninue to. Most of you don't encounter trolls that much, but a great deal come on troll for their first 20/30 posts and are promptly kicked. Oilcan/bleddyn was a good example of this.
Well oilcan did direct that at me, so I thought it was a good example to give, without offending or bringing up stuff that other people want to press. Unfortunately, I can think of other examples too. :frown: Good to hear trolls will still be banned. :cool:
Jamie
ahhh oilcan is still remembered.
As much as i support liberalising this place - and i do whole heartedly, (especially D&D where attempts to satisfy some members calls for forum consistency' have stiffled debate) i just want to point out that 95%+ of the people banned will still coninue to. Most of you don't encounter trolls that much, but a great deal come on troll for their first 20/30 posts and are promptly kicked. Oilcan/bleddyn was a good example of this.

I don't think she was referring solely to 'Oilcan'.

I think people should relax about puctuation and grammar on that forum too. And stream of consciousness posts should be allowed because sometimes that's the only way people can articulate the distress they are feeling.
Reply 143
BellaCat
Indeed.

edit: And I agree on the grammer, punctuation front. Though, I think people are generally relaxed about that, but hey, what do I know!
Saffie
Indeed.

edit: And I agree on the grammer, punctuation front. Though, I think people are generally relaxed about that, but hey, what do I know!

In my own case, if I were talking about B/P'ing or something similar the only way I could discuss it would be in a stream of consciousness way.
Reply 145
Jamie
(especially D&D where attempts to satisfy some members calls for forum consistency' have stiffled debate)

How is consistency relevant to the degree to which debate is stifled?
BellaCat

I think people should relax about puctuation and grammar on that forum too. And stream of consciousness posts should be allowed because sometimes that's the only way people can articulate the distress they are feeling.

i don't care about spelling or grammar, unless you are referring to txt spk in which case....no. Anyone who tlaks like that should learn it ISN'T a language, and HASN'T got a place in this world outside of their ickle nokia screen.

not sure what "stream of consciousness posts " are, but if it means blocks of writing with no discernable sentences, i usually edit it a bit to make it easier to read.
Vienna
How is consistency relevant to the degree to which debate is stifled?

Because what may be appropriate for open and frank discussion in D&D may simply be inappropriate insulting behaviour in H&R.
Reply 148
Jamie
Because what may be appropriate for open and frank discussion in D&D may simply be inappropriate insulting behaviour in H&R.

And consistency within D+D?
it was a religious opinion

we're all entitiled to opinions

nobody would complain if the christians made apost about burning pagans/wiccans would they?

hmmmm...

sorry...
Vienna
And consistency within D+D?

We are pretty damned consistent in our banning beyond the single post. If someone overall is a good, helpful member we take that into account. If someone has been warned many times previously - whether or not the warnings are expired, then they can expect to be modded a bit more harshly.

As for consistency of the ilk of 'you gave blah 2 warnings for this post, but relatively that post sort of, kind of, nearly says the same thing. I demand you smite them'. Then yeah, we are 'inconsistent'. And I'm pretty sure few care about it other than yourself.

Because 99% of the people banned here - troll or not, do not get banned because of one post.
Jamie
i don't care about spelling or grammar, unless you are referring to txt spk in which case....no. Anyone who tlaks like that should learn it ISN'T a language, and HASN'T got a place in this world outside of their ickle nokia screen.

not sure what "stream of consciousness posts " are, but if it means blocks of writing with no discernable sentences, i usually edit it a bit to make it easier to read.
#

That's the most helpful advice provided all day. Rep for you baby avatar.

(RIP Alex from A Clockwork Orange)
Jamie

That is very true, debate on under age sex and delicate issues like paedophilia not to mention the obvious differing opinions of every possible topic tend to end up being flame wars, especially when some in the majority start to insult the minority outright.
Now, this kind of insulting should be dealt with, but other 'problem' posts that appear in debates (especially religious and race topics) may not be meant to be insulting, but will include views that some might take as an insult.
xXMessedUpXx
it was a religious opinion

we're all entitiled to opinions

nobody would complain if the christians made apost about burning pagans/wiccans would they?

hmmmm...

sorry...

This girl never lies!!!
Reply 154
Jamie
We are pretty damned consistent in our banning beyond the single post. If someone overall is a good, helpful member we take that into account. If someone has been warned many times previously - whether or not the warnings are expired, then they can expect to be modded a bit more harshly.

As for consistency of the ilk of 'you gave blah 2 warnings for this post, but relatively that post sort of, kind of, nearly says the same thing. I demand you smite them'. Then yeah, we are 'inconsistent'. And I'm pretty sure few care about it other than yourself.

Because 99% of the people banned here - troll or not, do not get banned because of one post.

Perhaps next time you ban someone for a largely factual post, you could elaborate on their banning. "bye bye" isnt what I would consider helpful, especially when they were giving a huge dose of warning points.
Reply 155
Vienna
Perhaps next time you ban someone for a largely factual post, you could elaborate on their banning. "bye bye" isnt what I would consider helpful, especially when they were giving a huge dose of warning points.

Absolutely. Members should not be banned without atleast some explanation.
fairy snuff. i will give as full and frank explanation as the warning system allows (i think it has a 100 or 150 character limit).

i do often simply put 'bye bye' or nothing at all if someone is getting a final warning on a string of warnings telling them to disist.

Latest

Trending

Trending