The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
//Mike
Crafty, I have a suit made a visiting tailor and I'm not that impressed.

If you don't want to spend the £2.5k + on Saville Row, then I have heard very good things about George of Haringey. Have a look on styleforum.net and askandyaboutclothes.com - there are a few threads written by people who have had suits made by him. I think you're looking somewhere around the £600 mark for decent fabric, which isn't too bad for the level of service and detail.

Indeed, he's where I get my suits made. He's a really good tailor, though starts at £650.

Nimiza
I'd be wary about them cutting corners (i.e. no floating canvas etc) but the biggest thing to be worried about is the quality of the material. You don't really want to go below super 100 worsted, and I've known back-alley tailors try and pass off lower quality wools such as super 70/80 as such.

Super numbers =/= quality fabric. It's about the fineness of fabric, which makes it softer, but also less wearable. You can get great fabric that's super 150 and great fabric that doesn't have a super number. Don't be fooled into paying loads for high super numbers for a suit you'll wear a lot, it's far better to get good quality non-super worsted.
Reply 381
I'm trying A Suit That Fits, will keep you all posted...
Reply 382
Drogue

Super numbers =/= quality fabric. It's about the fineness of fabric, which makes it softer, but also less wearable. You can get great fabric that's super 150 and great fabric that doesn't have a super number. Don't be fooled into paying loads for high super numbers for a suit you'll wear a lot, it's far better to get good quality non-super worsted.

Actually in general it does, simply because to get the higher amount of wool you need it to be more finely woven.

But yes, higher super numbers generally last less time.
Apagg
I'm trying A Suit That Fits, will keep you all posted...
Go for it sexy. Don't forget pics.
Reply 384
loafer
if you trust your friend to judge the quality of a suit, and he recommends them. go for it.

remember that their email address is a GMAIL account, and their address is apparently in a hotel, if they really are so amazing - surely they would be able to afford a more professional email/website.

Savile Row Custom Tailors | Rose Hotel | 118 Suriwongse Road | Bangkok, 10500
P: (02) 2354427, (+66) 858441307, (+66) 849998760 | E: [email protected]

I understand that things are done differently in developing countries, but meh.

Rose HOtel might jsut be the building name tbf. Its common in asia for Hotel BUildings (which are mostly skyscrapers) to also host offices, appartments and even shopping malls.

i'd be itnerested to know howmuch they cost tho.
Reply 385
Nimiza
Actually in general it does, simply because to get the higher amount of wool you need it to be more finely woven.
That doesn't necessarily mean better quality. Every tailor I know gets exhasperated that so many inexperienced customers get obsessed with super numbers and don't think about the actual quality of the fabric - the quality of the weave, the strength of the underlying wool, the weight, etc. A top notch 100 will even feel softer and finer than a lesser 150, as well as lasting longer.
Go to China or something and get a good tailored suit for about the 1/10th of the price it is here
If getting a suit, and spending serious money, presumably wanting a suit that looks good, is well-made and fits well, you may as well go for a tailored/bespoke suit. And if you're getting a bespoke suit, why not get the best, go for Savile Row, Huntsman and the like? ~£3k for a suit may be expensive, but if sign-on is £6-8k, a Savile Row suit is definitely affordable. Or are Savile Row suits more for middle-aged men, not for guys in their early 20s?

EDIT: Also I read on WSO that TM Lewin shirts aren't very good, and that Charles Tyrwhitt (similar in price, 4 for £100 etc.) is a better option. Thoughts?
Reply 388
MaxMaxMax
If getting a suit, and spending serious money, presumably wanting a suit that looks good, is well-made and fits well, you may as well go for a tailored/bespoke suit. And if you're getting a bespoke suit, why not get the best, go for Savile Row, Huntsman and the like? ~£3k for a suit may be expensive, but if sign-on is £6-8k, a Savile Row suit is definitely affordable. Or are Savile Row suits more for middle-aged men, not for guys in their early 20s?

Any bonus will involve showing Savile Row that it's about having youth and money.
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to meet with these people and see how knowledgeable they seem, I'm not making a commitment unless they convince me. MaxMaxMax, it's really not viable for me to spend thousands of pounds on a suit. My friend has a suit and two shirts made by these guys and he said the whole lot came to <£300 last time. So I'm trying to balance up in my head whether this is (a) a bargain that I'd be a fool to pass up, (b) a scam that I'd be a fool to buy into, or any options in between such as a bargain reliant upon child labour or other such unethical working conditions... Gah!
Reply 390
crafty bison
Thanks for all the comments. I'm going to meet with these people and see how knowledgeable they seem, I'm not making a commitment unless they convince me. MaxMaxMax, it's really not viable for me to spend thousands of pounds on a suit. My friend has a suit and two shirts made by these guys and he said the whole lot came to <£300 last time. So I'm trying to balance up in my head whether this is (a) a bargain that I'd be a fool to pass up, (b) a scam that I'd be a fool to buy into, or any options in between such as a bargain reliant upon child labour or other such unethical working conditions... Gah!

When are you meeting them?
Looks liek they'll be in london in a few days and i mgiht consider going there if its good. But travel to london isn't cheap for me...
Reply 391
MaxMaxMax

And only get one suit? If you need 4 or 5 suits, getting Savile Row from the off is probably unaffordable. If you want to blow the money you'll get truly great suits, but I think the value is better at the <£1k price point, and only an expert would be able to tell the difference. Also, be careful about which Savile Row tailor you go to, as they each have specific styles - Huntsman/Richard Anderson/Poole are the more military, structured, hard tailoring style, whereas Anderson & Sheppard/Steed make softer, less structured suits with high arm holes.

If you like soft tailoring and want to spend the money, many people would regard Rubinacci as superior even to the Savile Row tailors, but you're looking at nearer £4k and the tailoring will be very soft.

MaxMaxMax
EDIT: Also I read on WSO that TM Lewin shirts aren't very good, and that Charles Tyrwhitt (similar in price, 4 for £100 etc.) is a better option. Thoughts?

I'd agree with that, though neither are bad and neither are great. TM Lewin Luxury ones are quite nice, most CT ones seem pretty good, but neither are the quality (or price) of Harvey and Hudson or Turnbull and Asser.
Reply 392
If you can afford it, which anyone getting a sign on bonus can, I would go with Thomas Pink shirts.
Reply 393
Nimiza
If you can afford it, which anyone getting a sign on bonus can, I would go with Thomas Pink shirts.

I wouldn't. The quality is no better than TM Lewin (unless you buy Pink's thicker weaves) and they're a lot more expensive. Pink is pretty well renowned for being bad value for money, as they charge H&H or even close to T&A prices without the quality, either of fabric or of workmanship. Not that they're bad shirts - I have a couple that I love - but they're overpriced for what they are so there's always a better option.
Drogue
And only get one suit? If you need 4 or 5 suits, getting Savile Row from the off is probably unaffordable. If you want to blow the money you'll get truly great suits, but I think the value is better at the <£1k price point, and only an expert would be able to tell the difference.

Well I guess you could get one from Savile Row and get some ~£500 PS/BB suits if you needed a few more.
Reply 395
Drogue
And only get one suit? If you need 4 or 5 suits, getting Savile Row from the off is probably unaffordable. If you want to blow the money you'll get truly great suits, but I think the value is better at the <£1k price point, and only an expert would be able to tell the difference. Also, be careful about which Savile Row tailor you go to, as they each have specific styles - Huntsman/Richard Anderson/Poole are the more military, structured, hard tailoring style, whereas Anderson & Sheppard/Steed make softer, less structured suits with high arm holes.

If you like soft tailoring and want to spend the money, many people would regard Rubinacci as superior even to the Savile Row tailors, but you're looking at nearer £4k and the tailoring will be very soft.

I'd agree with that, though neither are bad and neither are great. TM Lewin Luxury ones are quite nice, most CT ones seem pretty good, but neither are the quality (or price) of Harvey and Hudson or Turnbull and Asser.

After I went round Jeremyn street - going on the shirts from Pink/TM and Charles Tyrwhitt... H&H seemed to be the best fit on me followed by CT - although didn't go near the Pink Imperial ones which are supposed to be very good shirt.

H&H still wasn't that expensive, guess you're paying £33 for a shirt instead of £25 (3 for 99 rather than 4 for 100) but fit and quality did seem nicer.
Drogue
I wouldn't. The quality is no better than TM Lewin (unless you buy Pink's thicker weaves) and they're a lot more expensive. Pink is pretty well renowned for being bad value for money, as they charge H&H or even close to T&A prices without the quality, either of fabric or of workmanship. Not that they're bad shirts - I have a couple that I love - but they're overpriced for what they are so there's always a better option.

How much are T&A shirts? I'm guessing £150-£200ish? They're quite shy about the prices on their website
Jimi Haze
After I went round Jeremyn street - going on the shirts from Pink/TM and Charles Tyrwhitt... H&H seemed to be the best fit on me followed by CT - although didn't go near the Pink Imperial ones which are supposed to be very good shirt.

H&H still wasn't that expensive, guess you're paying £33 for a shirt instead of £25 (3 for 99 rather than 4 for 100) but fit and quality did seem nicer.

What kind of build are you, IYDMMA?
Reply 398
Jimi Haze

Yeh, I rate H&H very highly for value. Sadly they don't have a Canary Wharf shop though, so not as convenient at CT or TML.

MaxMaxMax
How much are T&A shirts? I'm guessing £150-£200ish? They're quite shy about the prices on their website

Around £80-120 or so, IIRC, off-the-peg. You can get their bespoke for £150-200, though you need to order 6 IIRC.
Reply 399
MaxMaxMax
What kind of build are you, IYDMMA?

I'm quite short in height - but have very broad shoulders given my height.

Needed a shirt that still fit round the shoulders but didn't come down like a sack of potatoes round my torso (i.e. a little more slim fitting).

One CT brand worked very well actually, think it was the tailored fit or black label I believe...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending