The Student Room Group

Analyst Wardrobe

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Original post by Milch
Looking to buy a nice watch with my sign on bonus. Would like to spend up to £500, £1000 at a push. Prefer watches with a leather strap rather than metal. Any suggestions of watches/brands?

Maybe at £2000, but at £1000, you can't buy much other than an Automatic Dunhill or a TAG Heuer Carrera.
Reply 1261
Original post by Milch
Looking to buy a nice watch with my sign on bonus. Would like to spend up to £500, £1000 at a push. Prefer watches with a leather strap rather than metal. Any suggestions of watches/brands?

**** me, spend it on something better than a watch
MD Wardrobe (coverage banking).

5 suits - each a different style. 2 x Dark Grey, Navy, Light Grey, Pinstripe,

Over 100 shirts and ties, some monogrammed from early pretentious days. These day's pretty much stick to blue, pink and white shirts. All french cuff however.

Most days Brook's Brothers chinos with a polo shirt and occasionally a proper shirt. Perhaps a blazer in case there is a meeting.

MD Wardrobe (hedge fund sales)

All of the above but leave 5 suits, 5 shirts and 5 ties in wardrobe in office. Wear shorts and T shirt to office. Change for meetings.
Original post by perpetual
MD Wardrobe (coverage banking).

5 suits - each a different style. 2 x Dark Grey, Navy, Light Grey, Pinstripe,

Over 100 shirts and ties, some monogrammed from early pretentious days. These day's pretty much stick to blue, pink and white shirts. All french cuff however.

Most days Brook's Brothers chinos with a polo shirt and occasionally a proper shirt. Perhaps a blazer in case there is a meeting.

MD Wardrobe (hedge fund sales)

All of the above but leave 5 suits, 5 shirts and 5 ties in wardrobe in office. Wear shorts and T shirt to office. Change for meetings.

Enjoying having Sevva opposite?
I hardly ever go there personally, only at the beginning. A couple of bars in LKF and the same in Wan Chai.
Original post by perpetual
I hardly ever go there personally, only at the beginning. A couple of bars in LKF and the same in Wan Chai.

The China Bar in LKF? Or there is quite a nice one in hotel LKF called Lilly & Bloom. One of my favourites was the Pawn in Wan Chai.
I used to live next to The Pawn, good for lunch. TCB only useful if you're single and want to pick up on Thursday nights, although its one of the few that takes Union cards interestingly.

I'm normally at the quiet pubs ideally with offers on. e.g. club 97 on lkf street has 2 for 1 draft and house spirits till 9pm.
Reply 1267
Original post by Milch

http://www.uniformwares.com/shop

I own a 203 series but I love their new 302 series :smile:!
Reply 1268
Original post by Drogue
I spend ~£1k each on my suits (I obviously don't have them made on Savile Row, but there are plenty of good tailors around the country who charge much less for what is still very good bespoke), under £50 each for my shirts and ~£100 on my watch. Spending more on all would be pretty easy, but I doubt I'd get much better quality in terms of things I care about without spending vastly more - probably triple for the suits and shirts and 5-10 times more for the watch.

Where do you get your shirts?
Reply 1269
Original post by KPCN
Where do you get your shirts?

Wow, been a long time since I posted here.

I get my shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt or Harvie & Hudson, mostly the former as there's a shop in Canary Wharf so it's convenient. But it doesn't matter too much, shirts are the easy bit to save on - I have TM Lewin, Pink, even the odd M&S shirt I still wear. Anything with a cut that roughly fits, made of cotton and ideally a decent weight (doesn't show through, feels nicer, easier to iron) should be fine, wherever it's from. TM Lewin is good for a budget if you get their luxury/heavy weight shirts, though CT isn't much more. These should both be easily affordable for anyone with any corporate job. You can go up to Turnbull & Asser or even getting bespoke shirt if you want, and they'll feel and fit a little nicer, but the difference is small for the price, when compared to buying a better suit or shoes for example.

One tip: always have a non-iron shirt ready. It helps so much when travelling, or in the office, to always have something you can throw on without needing to worry about finding an iron.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1270
Pink shirts are excellent for the money.
Reply 1271
Original post by gangst
Pink shirts are excellent for the money.

I'd say the exact opposite. Standard Pink shirts are no better than CT ones and significantly more expensive, and the luxury Pink ones (I've forgotten the label) are near enough Turnbull & Asser price without having quite that level of quality. They're nice shirts and I very much like the couple of Pink shirts I have, but they always seem a bit pricey to me compared to other Jermyn St. makers.
Original post by Drogue
I'd say the exact opposite. Standard Pink shirts are no better than CT ones and significantly more expensive, and the luxury Pink ones (I've forgotten the label) are near enough Turnbull & Asser price without having quite that level of quality. They're nice shirts and I very much like the couple of Pink shirts I have, but they always seem a bit pricey to me compared to other Jermyn St. makers.

True. Most Thomas Pink shirts I believe are made in somewhere like Vietnam, much like many of the other proclaimed 'Jermyn Street' shirt manufacturers. T&A all the way as I have a 15.5 neck, 34 arm, and prefer tailored which means cuts need to be perfect all the time. H&K I also have in my wardrobe for the last 3 years - I just don't like the colour to be honest so seldom get used.

We actually have an ex-footballer who makes our shirts now as well. He now has a rather successful business and comes in to see us every once in a while and receives a good few orders. Problem is - if you change your watch from a sub-mariner to an authentic simple design, you need to change your shirt!
Reply 1273
Original post by Drogue

where would you recommend for shirts ~£100 then?

cheers
Reply 1274
Original post by gangst
where would you recommend for shirts ~£100 then?

cheers

Turnbull & Asser or any bespoke place. Though mainly I'd recommend spending less - the quality difference is barely noticeable. Spend on suits and shoes and save on shirts to get most bang for your buck. Though if you have the money and want to spend it bespoke or T&A is the way to go in my view.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1275
As others have said shoes are on the most important things imo...what do you guys go for? I'm a bit obsessed with shoes...I buy from C&J and Church's...I go down to the factories and get them cheaper..

My favourite pair are the C&J Cavandish tasseled loafers. Classic shoes.

cavendish-black.jpg

C&J Sydney

crm-sydney-03.jpg

Church's diplomat

ch_dipl_bl2.jpg
Must admit I do like a good pair of shoes.

Nice shirts and cufflinks/accessories etc are nice but you can get away with the cheap stuff at the junior levels. I agree Investing in suits and shoes is more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1277
As others have said shoes are on the most important things imo...what do you guys go for? I'm a bit obsessed with shoes...I buy from C&J and Church's...I go down to the factories and get them cheaper..

My favourite pair are the C&J Cavandish tasseled loafers. Classic shoes.
I was about to agree wholeheartedly with everything you said until I saw the bolded bit. I never get loafers. Fine if you're on holiday, but I'd never dream of wearing them to work. And tassels just make them so much worse, gives them an element of Gucci loafers.

I love C&J and Church's though, and having parents in Northampton I get them from the factories as well. The Church's Danube and C&J Rosemoor are my favourite shoes I own, and while the latter were still pretty pricey, the former were under £100 as they were the last of the line. Cheaney's also great for something a little more modern, as they manage to do some great little twists on classics (mostly made for other labels). Or John Lobb if you have the money, which sadly I don't.
Reply 1278
Original post by Drogue
I was about to agree wholeheartedly with everything you said until I saw the bolded bit. I never get loafers. Fine if you're on holiday, but I'd never dream of wearing them to work. And tassels just make them so much worse, gives them an element of Gucci loafers.

I love C&J and Church's though, and having parents in Northampton I get them from the factories as well. The Church's Danube and C&J Rosemoor are my favourite shoes I own, and while the latter were still pretty pricey, the former were under £100 as they were the last of the line. Cheaney's also great for something a little more modern, as they manage to do some great little twists on classics (mostly made for other labels). Or John Lobb if you have the money, which sadly I don't.

C&J Rosemoore are awesome, whenever I see someone walk past me with them on I always think they look very smart. I guess it's personal prefernce, I love wearing loafers to work... I think there is nothing smarter than a smart pair of loafers and a navy suit, esp. in the summer! I love tasseled loafers though - I always have! Gucci Loafers I don't mind tbh...I wouldn't wear them for work, however.

New & Lingwood sometimes have some decent shoes on sale, but it really varies from time to time whenever I walk past their shop. But for me - I think C&J are the best. If you can get a pair of custom John Lobbs, then you are doing very well - I can't remember the exact cost though, push 2k if I remember....maybe a bit less..
Reply 1279
Also for people talking about shirts.... My ranking would be: High end - Turnbull & Asser. Middle: Hilditch & Key. Lower: Lewin.

H&K are my favourite, T&A is a tad on the pricey side.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending