The Student Room Group

Recommended A-Level Phil. Textbooks

I'll actually be doing Advanced Higher Philosophy next year. The syllabus is a different from A-Level but I was wondering whether anyone could recommend any textbooks. The whole syllabus can be found here but in short it is:

Epistemology-direct realism and indirect realism
Gettier’s counter examples to the traditional
definition of knowledge as justified, true belief
the tripartite theory of knowledge including
the causal theory of knowledge and the indefeasibility condition

Philosophy of Mind-the Mind/Body Problem:
Substance Dualism
Identity Theory
Functionalism
Theories of Personal Identity:
Psychological Continuity Theory
Body/Brain Theory
Soul Theory

Logic-syllogisms
propositional logic.

I'd prefer it if they weren't too heavy but rather, were textbooks you, yourself, had used in school.

Thanks
Reply 1
I've heard that 'Philosophy for AS and A2' by Burns and Law is a good AS/A-level textbook, I'm guessing it'd be quite good for Higher/Advanced Higher as well.

I'm pretty sure the first two topics are covered, but I don't know about the Logic bit..
Reply 2
I've just finished my Philosophy A Level so i could recommend a couple.... (or three :rolleyes: )

For general Philosophy (covers a wide range of areas - especially good for Ethics) - Understanding Philosophy by Hamilton.

Philosophy For AS & A2 by Burns & Law isn't bad. Doesn't really go into a awful lot of detail but it's good for straighting out things in your mind if your stuggling with a certain theory or concept.

For Philosophy of Mind - Maslin's An Introduction to the Philosophy of Mind is very very very very comprehensive. Detailed in the extreme. Bit mind-bending in places but it's got everything in there. Tbh, i won't really know how good this book is until the 18th of August.

Hope that helps...
Reply 3
Phil_D
Tbh, i won't really know how good this book is until the 18th of August.

For your sake and mine, let's hope its excellent. :wink:
Reply 4
Mastering Philosophy - Harrison-Barbet.
Fabulous stuff - enough said :wink:. It was really good for me getting an overview before I went into the Cam interview, so it should be good enough for your highers!

Latest

Trending

Trending