The Student Room Group
Reply 1
From what ive seen its between GCSE and A Level standard, if you can do S2 then it should be easy.
Reply 2
I have my first stats lecture this afternoon. First semester we were just told which test was used and the results, this time we have to do the statistical analysis ourselves but its pretty simple. Just follow a set number of steps, compare the value to the tables and levels of significance and voila. Nothing fancy.
They expect you to calculate multiple linear regression for 16 variables by hand on the first day and then a spot of principal components analysis.
Reply 4
Easykill
I have my first stats lecture this afternoon. First semester we were just told which test was used and the results, this time we have to do the statistical analysis ourselves but its pretty simple. Just follow a set number of steps, compare the value to the tables and levels of significance and voila. Nothing fancy.

Oh, so is it like just working out spearmans rank/wilcoxon/man whitney/chi squared or some statistical test like that to begin with?
Reply 5
In the first year it's mainly about the basics such as probability, distribution of sample means, t statistic and t test, ANOVA and regression. The formulas you have to learn are quite simple, you'll be fine.:yes:
Reply 6
Statistics is fascinating and essential knowledge, so, even if it's a little hard, you should have enough interest and motivation to see you through.

(It's not like plain old abstract dry maths, bluechhh)
Reply 7
Using SPSS is the hardest thing; you tend to do stats for projects so you'll learn how to do them for one project, not touch it for 10 weeks then completely forget how to use the program. Don't let yourself get behind with the stats, concentrate, ask for help and you'll be fine. I regret not understanding it from the beginning and it made things a lot harder for me.
Reply 8
PrimateJ
Statistics is fascinating and essential knowledge, so, even if it's a little hard, you should have enough interest and motivation to see you through.

(It's not like plain old abstract dry maths, bluechhh)

Thats rather subjective. I would prefer to do anything other than stats tbh, it offers no excitement whatsoever.
Reply 9
I find it easier than AS level statistics, and because alot of people are going into the course without any prior stats knowledge, its always nice to feel a bit further ahead. But as mentioned above, SPSS is a nightmare. You rarely work out statistical tests by hand, so remembering formulas and things isn't really necessary. Its all about computing variables, and all other kinds of SPSS rubbish.
laura_m16
I find it easier than AS level statistics, and because alot of people are going into the course without any prior stats knowledge, its always nice to feel a bit further ahead. But as mentioned above, SPSS is a nightmare. You rarely work out statistical tests by hand, so remembering formulas and things isn't really necessary. Its all about computing variables, and all other kinds of SPSS rubbish.

I spent my first year not touching SPSS and doing it all by hand. In the second year we do about 50% of it by hand.

It is important to note that some courses are going to be different to others
Reply 11
It will vary from course to course. In Scotland we have 4 years to cover the stats in effect so it is a slower pace. I have never met a psychologist thus far in my academic career who has not admitted that as far as they were concerned, stats are a tool, and not really psychology. To that end as long as you can work the basics and then consistently use them as a tool you will be fine. It is just a hoop you have to jump through, it will not define your career as a psychologist
as above, it depends where you go.
in my last assignment i was asked to conduct an ANOVA analysis all by hand, inc sums of squares, mean squares etc, was about 4 pages of sums and equations!!
definitely above gcse math standard!
Polly1101
as above, it depends where you go.
in my last assignment i was asked to conduct an ANOVA analysis all by hand, inc sums of squares, mean squares etc, was about 4 pages of sums and equations!!

Try doing a mixed design ANOVA with two between-subject variables and one within. The SS alone (with detail removed) looks like this:

Then try multiple regression with 10+ predictor variables :eek:
GodspeedGehenna
Try doing a mixed design ANOVA with two between-subject variables and one within. The SS alone (with detail removed) looks like this:

Then try multiple regression with 10+ predictor variables :eek:

i shall look forward to encountering these delights!

Latest