The Student Room Group

Swapping courses at the same uni

Ive got an offer for sports science at exeter uni but i want to swap to biology, but usually they ask for a second science a level which i dont have, is there point contacting them before uni/results day about swapping, or should i wait until i get there in september and swap then?
Original post by RubyDavies23
Ive got an offer for sports science at exeter uni but i want to swap to biology, but usually they ask for a second science a level which i dont have, is there point contacting them before uni/results day about swapping, or should i wait until i get there in september and swap then?

I would recommend contacting them beforehand. You don't want to give them the decision last minute.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a relevant course with a foundation year, so it's also likely that you would need to do the second science yourself.

The science subjects that Exeter accept include:
Biology/Human Biology^; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Electronics; Economics; Environmental Science; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Life and Health Sciences (Double Award only), Marine Science; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths^; Physical Education; Physics; Psychology; Science (applied); Sport Science; Statistics.
See: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/biosciences/biosci/#entry-requirements

I suspect the cheapest science subjects to do privately would be geography, economics, maths, statistics, and psychology. Having said that, there's strictly no mention that you need to complete any practical assessments or coursework for your A Levels, so I think you can get by with just the exams (which are significantly cheaper) in any of the science subjects but you would want to email the Faculty of Biosciences to double check (this should either be Joy Richards or Venera Hacker according to the following page: https://biosciences.exeter.ac.uk/staff/support/).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by RubyDavies23

I would ask them in advance.

As you won't meet the admissions requirements for the programme (I assume you mean "BSc Biological Sciences"), I think you need to work on the basis that it's very likely your request to change course will be turned down -- and you need to have a think about how you would proceed if that happened.

It's best not to start a course you don't want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending