The Student Room Group

Low calorie meals WITHOUT any vegetables

Heyloo in a bit of a problem here! Basically I'm in a LDR with my boyfriend, which means whener I see him it completely dominates whatever I eat or drink whenever I see him (usually about 3 days at a time), so his habits are effecting my diet siginificantly. Trouble is, we have very little in common which foods we both like, so we end up taking in turns as to what the other one would like while the other makes do. For instance, when I was up to see him last time for one lunch we had a sandwich each because he knew I wanted something healthier, and the day after we shared a portion of chips because he loves take-aways.

I'm trying to think of meals that'll satisfy both of us, but I'm really struggling! He loves all meat especially steaks, but won't touch any veg unless it's carrot or potato and prefers creamy sauces, whereas I prefer fish, chicken and the odd bit of steak, lots of different kinds of vegetables and stuff in a tomato based sauce.

If anyone can give any suggestions it will be most appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
you could disguise vegetables in the sauces?? things like peppers can be hidden in the sauce.
also for a mixture of creamy and tomato, you can mix in a few dollops of mascarpone cheese or other creamy cheese, or creme fraiche. into a basic tomator sauce to make it have a nice creamy texture with a tomatoey taste still.
obv if you want lower calorie, use a "lighter" creamy base, or just make your boyfriend's portion creamy and leave yours more tomatoey.
you can cut portion size as well to make it lower calorie, and for example, instead of potato, have sweet potato, which still has a potatoey texture but counts as a vegetable.
also you could just cook extra veg for yourself and fill up on that a bit more, but then still have some of whatever he wants, but less of it.
Reply 2
codcod
you could disguise vegetables in the sauces?? things like peppers can be hidden in the sauce.
also for a mixture of creamy and tomato, you can mix in a few dollops of mascarpone cheese or other creamy cheese, or creme fraiche. into a basic tomator sauce to make it have a nice creamy texture with a tomatoey taste still.
obv if you want lower calorie, use a "lighter" creamy base, or just make your boyfriend's portion creamy and leave yours more tomatoey.
you can cut portion size as well to make it lower calorie, and for example, instead of potato, have sweet potato, which still has a potatoey texture but counts as a vegetable.
also you could just cook extra veg for yourself and fill up on that a bit more, but then still have some of whatever he wants, but less of it.

Problem is that he won't touch tomatoey stuff if it has even small chunks of tomatoes in whereas I really don't like anything cheesy or creamy.
Though I think the swapping idea is very good :smile: I'd probably cook a chicken breast and make some salad for it for myself while I cook him some chips or something.

Any more suggestions from anybody? He loves take-aways (and we're both crap at cooking!) so something simple but cheap is best :smile:
Fajitas, curry (you can add more cream to his after), stir fry?
Reply 4
Chicken?

Me and my lad go out a lot, but maybe that's too expensive for you. Even stuff like Wetherspoons means you both get what you want.
Reply 5
raspberryswirl
Fajitas, curry (you can add more cream to his after), stir fry?

Interesting, how do you do stir fries and fajitas without vegetables? I love both of those dishes personally so I'd love to know!!

ice_queen

Chicken?

Me and my lad go out a lot, but maybe that's too expensive for you. Even stuff like Wetherspoons means you both get what you want.

Yeah I am thinking a lot of chicken :smile: Whenever we go out we have to study the menu beforehand to make sure there's a dish without veg so he can he eat something, so it tends to be a lot of curry.

Thanks ever so much for the suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming :smile:
red_roses
Interesting, how do you do stir fries and fajitas without vegetables? I love both of those dishes personally so I'd love to know!!

I don't really know haha, either just add loads and loads of meat or put peppers/onions in and he can just not eat those bits! Or maybe cook a portion for him and add the veggies in after. Mmmmm fajitas.
Reply 7
This is propably not the kind of advice you are looking for, but what about going low-carb? That way you can eat the creamy sauces etc. very well. :wink:

No, seriously speaking you do need to eat vegetables also on a low-carb diet, otherwise it's not healthy.

How about chinese food?
Reply 8
here's a thought

eat different things to each other
Adonis
here's a thought

This, or tell him to stop eating like a picky 5 year old.
Reply 10
raspberryswirl

I don't really know haha, either just add loads and loads of meat or put peppers/onions in and he can just not eat those bits! Or maybe cook a portion for him and add the veggies in after. Mmmmm fajitas.

Oooh good idea :smile: Hmm I'll have the chicken in a separate pan to the veg and give him what he wants!

ziik

This is propably not the kind of advice you are looking for, but what about going low-carb? That way you can eat the creamy sauces etc. very well.

No, seriously speaking you do need to eat vegetables also on a low-carb diet, otherwise it's not healthy.

How about chinese food?

Chinese food has loads of onions, peppers and stuff in unfortunately. At least from what I've seen anyway, I'll have another look to be sure :smile:

Adonis

here's a thought

We try to when we can (it works well when we buy separate ready meals to each other) but it can get expensive so we try to share what we've got.

Thank you very much everyone :biggrin:
Reply 11
Jacket Potatoes
Cheap, Multitude of Toppings, Very simple...
You - beans, tuna, rattoulie + a side salad
Hime - beans & cheese, cheese, chillie, correnation chicken, bacon and cheese

Chillie con Carne & Rice
Quite easy and cheap to make - he can even have with potato another day

Pasta?
Spagetti Bolognaise? (can use low fat mince)
Tagatelli with Prawns and a light philidelphia sauce (add more cream to his) chuck som raw spinach leaves and cherry tomatoes into his

Good Quality Burgers -he can have with chips, you with salad with or w/o bun

Home made chicken Kabab - just get wraps, add cooked chiken maybe add a spice mix like jerk or fjhita mix and the salad / cheese / mayo / grated carrot! / sauces as desired

Hope that helps

Latest