The Student Room Group

Adult Gymnastics?

Hey there.

For a while I've been thinking of taking up adult gymnastics although sports I mainly play are American Footy, Cricket and V-Ball.

Is there anyone here who does gymnastics and is 20+ ?

Is it difficult to take part in at this age? What sort of advice would you give for training? I'm really keen on it once exams are done and dusted I'm just a little worried it might not be so easy to get into. There's an adult gymnastics club in the city so maybe I should go along for training?

Thanks for any advice.

WK
Reply 1
If your 20 - 30 your not exactly too old to be doing gymnastics.
Just turn up and see how it goes :smile:
Its hard for any of us to judge since we dont know you in real life.
Sorry for the almost useless reply though.
Reply 2
Well what I exactly wanted to know was what does gymnastics training really involve and how much fitter would I need to be than I am right now? I mean even though I play sports, the sports I play don't exactly push your stamina to the limit.

I'm a bit worried it might be viewed as girly. But saying that the girls I know who do gymnastics are hot hot hot and if it means I'll be training with them and impressing them (not that I need to any further) then surely it's a good thing right? :wink:
Reply 3
A lot of people who come there will be no good at all, don't worry! If you are reasonably fit and strong then you'll be alright to start off with.

The thing that guys tend to find hard is the flexibility involved. If you've done sports like running you will probably be very stiff in your hamstrings, and if you've done weights the same will be true of your shoulders. This won't be a problem when you start but be aware this is something you'll have to work on, it is not all about strength!

The men do six pieces: the vault, still rings, pommel horse, parallel bar, floor and high bar. YouTube some videos if you want to see but don't expect to be able to do those kind of skills!

Most classes start with a warm up, then some group basics: rolls, handstands, cartwheels, simple tumbling for the more advanced students. Then there's more freedom to work on what you want, on whichever piece. At first you'll probably do a lot on the trampoline-like tumbling track or the floor. Some of the men's pieces, like pommels, are a no-go for beginners! But you might be working skills like handspring vaults, swings on the bars (in special grips so you can't ping off!), round-off back somersaults on floor or tumble track and handstand on p-bars.

I really want to start classes again myself, I've got the flexibility and the spacial awareness but NO strength left. It's so depressing :cry:
Reply 4
Oh it sounds all exciting. Never did it when I was younger as my dad (who's a doc) kept saying to me it would stunt my growth. Obv growth stops in early 20s so I'm probably nearly all done (oh please just a few more inches).

I'm about 178cm (5'10) slightly height conscious although with the right hairstyle, clothing, posture and Timberlands (love them), can just about get away with 6ft most people say I look 6ft anyways.

I'm a bit worried all that impact will compress the cartillages and vertebrae and reduce my height.

I know there some tall gymnasts (well tall for their sport) but I wonder if they hadn't done gymnastics, would they have been taller?

Anyways does gym make you shorter (before and after puberty)?

TBH I should know the answer being a medic, alas there are some things they just don't teach you at medical school, shame.
Reply 5
Warrior King
Oh it sounds all exciting. Never did it when I was younger as my dad (who's a doc) kept saying to me it would stunt my growth. Obv growth stops in early 20s so I'm probably nearly all done (oh please just a few more inches).

I'm about 178cm (5'10) slightly height conscious although with the right hairstyle, clothing, posture and Timberlands (love them), can just about get away with 6ft most people say I look 6ft anyways.

I'm a bit worried all that impact will compress the cartillages and vertebrae and reduce my height.

I know there some tall gymnasts (well tall for their sport) but I wonder if they hadn't done gymnastics, would they have been taller?

Anyways does gym make you shorter (before and after puberty)?

TBH I should know the answer being a medic, alas there are some things they just don't teach you at medical school, shame.

Gymnastics does make you shorter, yes, but BEFORE puberty and certainly not from just a rec class. Pretty much all top level gymnasts are significantly shorter than both of their parents, but this is much more pronounced in female gymnasts as they have to train to peak before puberty. Men can peak after so it's not as hard on their bodies in the crucial years.

Basically, the number of impact landings causes growth plates to close up earlier as a form of protection for the joints. Also the central vertebrae of the spine can be compressed by landings and extreme flexibility moves - the latter again only in female gymnasts.

But in answer to your question, no. Gymnastics doesn't make you shorter, it stops you being so tall. I doubt you'll grow any taller but a rec class won't make any difference.

You should be aware, though, at 5'10" it will be harder. Long limbs get tangled up very easily when there's a lot more of you to move. Don't be put off though - there's something against everyone when they start!

And I forgot to say in my last post, you should make sure to wear something stretchy (if someone could do the splits whilst wearing it, it is ok) rather than stiff trackies. And make sure your clothing is fairly tight because a. you don't want it flapping and b. the coach needs to see your body shape.
Reply 6
Hmm yeah most of that makes sense. I was taking a break from studying and reading some scientific studies on gymnastics and height and most what you said was true. I did grow quite a fair bit after 18 (most males in my family did) but yeah I doubt I'll grow much anymore. I just don't want to decompress the height I have as it's useful in the other sport I play (American Football). But as you well pointed out its a rec class albeit once a week at most so will hardly make any difference.

As for the tight clothing, I'd love to wear all that but alas I need to shed the pounds slightly. But need to convert that into more muscle so I don't lose my strength and power for American Football.
Start off SLOW, honestly you won't be flying around doing splits and backflips anytime soon. As far as your fitness goes, work on your core strength and flexibility. So some stretches every day, and go to the gym a couple of times a week alongside your gymnastics class. There's nothing girly about it, well not really, as professional male gymnasts are sooo much stronger and fitter than most.

If you try to do too much too soon, the impact on your bones and muscles will be too much and you'll do yourself damage. Don't worry, you won't shrink. Ballet is more my thing but I also did some gymnastics alongside it as a kid, took a LONG break, tried to do it again and tore a ligament. So yeah, slowly does it!
Reply 8
Warrior King
Well what I exactly wanted to know was what does gymnastics training really involve and how much fitter would I need to be than I am right now? I mean even though I play sports, the sports I play don't exactly push your stamina to the limit.

I'm a bit worried it might be viewed as girly. But saying that the girls I know who do gymnastics are hot hot hot and if it means I'll be training with them and impressing them (not that I need to any further) then surely it's a good thing right? :wink:

Age is no limit for sport :smile: .

I know someone started Acrobatics in age of 33, and he is Good :smile:

I did gymnastic actually ( acrobatics ) age on 19 and now im 21 im good .Coz I leant
( if you want to be good in something, never impress the people but do impress your self ) ..

keep practice my friend .
any help don't be shy just tell me :wink:

peace
Reply 9
I'm really appreciating all the support. I really can't wait to get started. I was in two minds as to whether or not to but I'm 110% up for it now. Although I've done my arms in trying to do loads of pressups every day to trim down before I start. Not a great idea!
Reply 10
Warrior King
I'm really appreciating all the support. I really can't wait to get started. I was in two minds as to whether or not to but I'm 110% up for it now. Although I've done my arms in trying to do loads of pressups every day to trim down before I start. Not a great idea!

Hey
how is warrior king doing ? :smile:

The important things is strengthing your upper body get to ( planch ) . So find a ring , as I did ,I bought a ring on ebay cost me ÂŁ28.
do Pull ups, dips and muscleup. here watch this video . :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80yumhU-Eo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_X2sOC7nZY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

keep practice .

Peace
hfreaks
Hey
how is warrior king doing ? :smile:

The important things is strengthing your upper body get to ( planch ) . So find a ring , as I did ,I bought a ring on ebay cost me ÂŁ28.
do Pull ups, dips and muscleup. here watch this video . :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q80yumhU-Eo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_X2sOC7nZY&NR=1&feature=fvwp

keep practice .

Peace

Will do. Thanks for the handy tips.

Soon the Warrior King will be ripped and will be a match for pretty much any QB on the Footy pitch.

Got to say though the vests are quite mundane. I'm looking for a black one or maybe black trimmed with gold.

Can guys wear full sleeved vest-thingys? I was considering wearing a baselayer under my vest.
Reply 12
Hey there

Just spotted this and was wondering if anyone is aware of gymnastics for adults in London?
I'm moving to North West London and I'm having trouble finding a place offering adult gymnastics.

Any advice welcome! Also a new starter on early 30's here so hope I'll do well!
Tired of doing weights and would like something more fun and challenging :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest