The Student Room Group

gcse pe or business help pls

I’m picking my gcse options in February and I need some advice..

To be honest I’m not totally excited about either option but I need to choose one. Everyone I’ve talked to says business is very easy so it seems quite a logical choice because I have already picked the subjects I really want to do and I just need one more and I want to aim for high grades hopefully! However people say it’s really boring and a lot of people have given me advice to do at least one ‘fun’ subject.

I love playing sport so pe is my favourite lesson but I am not very interested in it as a subject. Idk if I should choose it because it will only be fun for when I am playing sports which I do anyway and I won’t like the actual material. Also my school is an all girls grammar with very small class sizes for pe ( think 6-8 people studying pe gcse in a year) so would that affect my learning? As well as that I am not I feel like I’m probably being too influenced by other ppl and overthinking my choices loll

any advice or experiences are appreciated :smile:))
Original post by chiararara
I’m picking my gcse options in February and I need some advice..

To be honest I’m not totally excited about either option but I need to choose one. Everyone I’ve talked to says business is very easy so it seems quite a logical choice because I have already picked the subjects I really want to do and I just need one more and I want to aim for high grades hopefully! However people say it’s really boring and a lot of people have given me advice to do at least one ‘fun’ subject.

I love playing sport so pe is my favourite lesson but I am not very interested in it as a subject. Idk if I should choose it because it will only be fun for when I am playing sports which I do anyway and I won’t like the actual material. Also my school is an all girls grammar with very small class sizes for pe ( think 6-8 people studying pe gcse in a year) so would that affect my learning? As well as that I am not I feel like I’m probably being too influenced by other ppl and overthinking my choices loll

any advice or experiences are appreciated :smile:))

you need to play 3 sports for pe so if your good at 3 I'd go for pe and like science. I'd just go with your gut and don't go too much on people's opinions as it can confuse you.
Reply 2
Original post by Sillystrawberry7
you need to play 3 sports for pe so if your good at 3 I'd go for pe and like science. I'd just go with your gut and don't go too much on people's opinions as it can confuse you.

thank you so much! I am confident in netball and gymnastics but I’m not sure about a third and if I’d be able to learn one in time. the fact pe is like science is definitely a bonus so I’m leaning towards that rn but I’m just very nervous haha :smile:
Original post by chiararara

thank you so much! I am confident in netball and gymnastics but I’m not sure about a third and if I’d be able to learn one in time. the fact pe is like science is definitely a bonus so I’m leaning towards that rn but I’m just very nervous haha :smile:

yeah, yeah, don't worry. are you doing triple science, too? I mean, it doesn't matter if you like it, but pots of people find doing them both a lot of effort. I chose Btec sport and regret it very much. I don't know about different schools but at my school people who do 2 sports can learn a new one- handball or badminton and they're fine with it so it's worth checking if ur school can easily teach you a new one.
I do Edexcel Business GCSE, and everyone says it's "an easy 9". Most people in my school get grade 8/9, but I go to a grammar school so it might be different for you. I was predicted a 9 in year 10 mocks. There are 2 papers in Edexcel business, and 2 themes, theme 1 for paper 1, etc. There are a LOT of overlaps between the two themes so some of the content is repeated.

I would do business for the high grade, but one thing about business is that i find it's very boring. I think you should do your research - look into the specification because that will help you understand the topics you will be taught and you can see for yourself if they are interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Sillystrawberry7
yeah, yeah, don't worry. are you doing triple science, too? I mean, it doesn't matter if you like it, but pots of people find doing them both a lot of effort. I chose Btec sport and regret it very much. I don't know about different schools but at my school people who do 2 sports can learn a new one- handball or badminton and they're fine with it so it's worth checking if ur school can easily teach you a new one.

I am doing triple science too, and I am sort of unsure about the school being able to teach us new sports as their is literally only one sport my school properly teaches/offers which is netball.. I’m going to have a look more into it tho tyyy :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by curly_fries
I do Edexcel Business GCSE, and everyone says it's "an easy 9". Most people in my school get grade 8/9, but I go to a grammar school so it might be different for you. I was predicted a 9 in year 10 mocks. There are 2 papers in Edexcel business, and 2 themes, theme 1 for paper 1, etc. There are a LOT of overlaps between the two themes so some of the content is repeated.

I would do business for the high grade, but one thing about business is that i find it's very boring. I think you should do your research - look into the specification because that will help you understand the topics you will be taught and you can see for yourself if they are interesting.

that’s really good advice I will research the pe and business specifications to see which interests me more, and which I’m more likely to get a 9 in, tysm!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest