The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Pedrobear
I'm sorry :puppyeyes:

Buuuut you only need to perform and listen to music... what's so hard about that? :cry:
ukdragon37
Buuuut you only need to perform and listen to music... what's so hard about that? :cry:

The commentary, my friend, the commentary :bawling: I've left it too late (ie now) and I'll be in London most of April :puppyeyes:
ArcadiaHouse
Glasgow said no again, and said they would say 'no' next year as well.

I'm thinking of turning down my two offers and just getting a job. I can't believe I'm not doing English and Classics. My heart feels it's been ripped out of my chest and everything I've put up with through high school has been for nothing.

I am inconsolable. I'm thinking of getting a Leavers' Form tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about that. I'm surprised they said that they would say no next year as well. I guess the one sitting thing is pretty important to them.

I would agree with ukdragons suggestion of going to visit aberdeen and strathclyde again and if you really don't want to go then decline your offers.
Pedrobear
The commentary, my friend, the commentary :bawling: I've left it too late (ie now) and I'll be in London most of April :puppyeyes:

Oh it's just equivalent to a NAB! :mad2: Pull some strings from your teacher and let him/her pass you :p:
Sup, people? :sexface:

ArcadiaHouse

Really sorry to hear that, if I could give you my place, I would. That's a bit... nasty of Glasgow to say you couldn't get in next year, a bit up themselves. I phoned St Andrews about accommodation earlier, and they were really friendly. More friendly than the times I've been in contact with Glasgow. Also, so many people are in your position; a lot of people recieved rejections on Thursday-Friday from Glasgow. Really, you should take a gap year (maybe do college for more grades) and re-apply next year, because you'll be deeply unhappy in a job when all you want to do is English and Classics.
Madjackismad
Sup, people? :sexface:

Really sorry to hear that, if I could give you my place, I would. That's a bit... nasty of Glasgow to say you couldn't get in next year, a bit up themselves. I phoned St Andrews about accommodation earlier, and they were really friendly. More friendly than the times I've been in contact with Glasgow. Also, so many people are in your position; a lot of people recieved rejections on Thursday-Friday from Glasgow. Really, you should take a gap year (maybe do college for more grades) and re-apply next year, because you'll be deeply unhappy in a job when all you want to do is English and Classics.

I cannot face another year of Highers. I just can't do it.

I'd love it if our depute head called them because he knows how much I want to go. He said "Just drop two Highers, it won't affect your applications at all." In the end it's been the only thing wrong with my application.

I could apply to something like Theology through Extra. I could call them up on results day and beg them for a place. I could make an appointment with an admissions tutor face-to-face.

I told them I'm predicted to have AAAAB over two years, and they said 'fair enough, but it's likely that next year we'll only be looking at first sitters again.'
ArcadiaHouse
I cannot face another year of Highers. I just can't do it.

I'd love it if our depute head called them because he knows how much I want to go. He said "Just drop two Highers, it won't affect your applications at all." In the end it's been the only thing wrong with my application.

I could apply to something like Theology through Extra. I could call them up on results day and beg them for a place. I could make an appointment with an admissions tutor face-to-face.

I told them I'm predicted to have AAAAB over two years, and they said 'fair enough, but it's likely that next year we'll only be looking at first sitters again.'

My bf did this after getting rejected, and got an offer of AA. He's got 2 years of highers/advanced highers, a gap year abroad and another gap year to sit another two highers, so I think you'd get a place. I'm not sure how you'd go about transferring when you get there though, assuming that's what you want to be doing. You might have to consider just sacrificing Classics and going for one of your other offers, or drop your application this cycle. :frown: Or just be very persistent with Glasgow, but I very doubt that getting your head to phone/write will make much of a difference if they've already said no twice and have more than enough applicants to fill their places. I think that's the problem this year, they've got so many applicants, they can just pick and choose whoever they like. It ******* sucks, but it's life.
Dado Prso
Sorry to hear about that. I'm surprised they said that they would say no next year as well. I guess the one sitting thing is pretty important to them.

I would agree with ukdragons suggestion of going to visit aberdeen and strathclyde again and if you really don't want to go then decline your offers.

Well done on your offers. :yes: Have you chosen a firm?
truthandtragedy
Well done on your offers. :yes: Have you chosen a firm?

Thanks. Not sure what I'm going to firm.

I'm visiting the engineering department at heriot-watt next thursday, the engineering department at edinburgh next friday and i'm going to arrange to go to st andrews next month.

I'm edging towards engineering at edinburgh at the moment though. The flexibility of the course seems to suit me well.
ArcadiaHouse

I'm thinking of turning down my two offers and just getting a job. I can't believe I'm not doing English and Classics. My heart feels it's been ripped out of my chest and everything I've put up with through high school has been for nothing.

After I was rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow I kind of gave up hope of an offer so I can understand how you feel, but maybe if you do go and do another course at uni you will realise that may be it wasn't going to be the best for you anyway :console:
I finally finished my final solution (my bag) for art! :woo: Only 3 months late... I have to mount my development sheet, take photos of my bag and do my expressive final solution and I will be done!
Dado Prso

I'm visiting the engineering department at heriot-watt next thursday, the engineering department at edinburgh next friday and i'm going to arrange to go to st andrews next month.

I'm edging towards engineering at edinburgh at the moment though. The flexibility of the course seems to suit me well.

Sensible. I haven't even visited my firm/insurance, but **** it. I'll be fine.

PS: Choose Edinburgh! :awesome:
Dado Prso

I'm going to the Engineering day at Edinburgh on friday :biggrin:
which one have you applied for?
Driving back the same day too :frown: gonna be knackering
Gonna go watch Inglouroius Basterds at last :biggrin:
this better be good!
I was more excited on my 18th bday about being able to buy the DVD than going to the pub! haha

PS woo! Post 2000!
GingerGoat
PS woo! Post 2000!

Just guaranteeing someone will delete their post, now. :p:
GingerGoat
Gonna go watch Inglouroius Basterds at last :biggrin:
this better be good!

It's great!
TheRabbit
After I was rejected from Edinburgh and Glasgow I kind of gave up hope of an offer so I can understand how you feel, but maybe if you do go and do another course at uni you will realise that may be it wasn't going to be the best for you anyway :console:

My mate was the same.
Rejected for Glasgow, Dundee, and Endinburgh (without interviews for any) before he got his unconditional for Aberdeen.
:biggrin:
Worst part was he applied to Glasgow and then they upped the minimum UKCAT score and he was automatically discarded, so wasted application totally :frown:
But he's happy now :smile:
And congrats on your unconditional for Aberdeen too!
Pedrobear
It's great!

Good :biggrin:
as last year seemed to have a lot of crap films minus Sherlock Holmes and UP!:smile: It was so sad at the start :frown:
ArcadiaHouse

Sorry to hear about this. :hugs:
Think this through, don't go making any hasty decisions that you might regret. You know what happened to me and now couldn't imagine being anywhere else. I highly suggest you make a trip to Aberdeen and Strathcylde, hell I'll even give you a tour around and you can sit in on an English Lit lecture. :p: You've never talked about getting a job before, it's always been studying English at uni, why give this up when you can still make this happen? Think back to your experience in TKMax - can you imagine yourself doing something like that again but full-time?

Hope you do get everything sorted. :yep:
Stressssssed with this non-existent essay that's due in two days. Why do I leave things to the last minute? Beacuse I'm a nincompoop!

Latest

Trending

Trending