ArcadiaHouse
Good show. I may follow in your footsteps by ditching Modern :colone:

:five:

I wouldn't, it's quite a useful qualification to have. :yep:

Spoiler

Madjackismad

Spoiler

It is useful but the British section is bloody boring!
Vitamin D
We've been told today that we're getting our sixth year option forms next week o.O! But I really have no idea what I want to do. I want to do English Lit at uni so I'll be taking AH English and there is a very small chance that I might take AH History, but other than that I have no idea what I could do. Higher Art would be nice but it might seem pretty irrelevant if I get a conditional. Any recommendations?

Take both, that's what I'm doing. :cool: (but they are my two favourite subjects in the world :p:)

Also, you should definitely take philosophy. I should have done that instead of taking bloody Human Biology after doing Physics in Higher. :facepalm2: My friends also seem to love philosophy.

*Goes away to stare at the moon and regret*
moonshine_1991
It is useful but the British section is bloody boring!

I concur completely. We're not even doing Westminster, just the Scottish Parliament and devolved powers and all that. :facepalm2: We had a really strange local government in the prelim last week.

The USA and South Africa make up for it though!

Nothing will topple the might of History. Nothing. History students unite. :five:

:p:
Madjackismad

Spoiler

I don't care, I think it's rubbish!! The essays are straightforward but the DME is dire, totally cba. I wish I could drop it like it's hot, but I can't risk screwing up another subject with no fall-back. :shifty:

EDIT: Why do people think the South Africa topic is amazing? It's just facts and figures, so dry.

EDIT II: What texts did you do for AH English again? :beard:
ArcadiaHouse
The Highers I've taken have been English, French, Human Biology, Geography, Business Management and Modern Studies - a mix of humanities and sciences (I've applied for English Lit too :p:). Do you have a modern language? I think that would help. History and Latin make English applicants stronger, too (although I didn't have the opportunity to study either).

Having sciences shows you can do more than just the one type of subject, and AH English is definitely worth it! :smile: AH History would look good too, I think, although only take it if you really love it. Good luck!

EDIT: Medicine applicants at my school take Higher Art, it isn't irrelevant, just shows you have many talents. :wink: If you're good and it and like it then go for it, I say!

Thanks for your advice :biggrin: I've taken French this year, and I'm predicted a B but I'm sure if I put a lot of effort in I could try for an A :smile: I've also done Biology this year, but only really because I love the subject. The only reason I'm hesitant about AH History is because I've found the Higher course really difficult, but I know it would make my application stronger. Crashing Geography has crossed my mind, I'd much prefer it to Modern Studies.

Madjackismad
Take both, that's what I'm doing. :cool: (but they are my two favourite subjects in the world :p:)

Also, you should definitely take philosophy. I should have done that instead of taking bloody Human Biology after doing Physics in Higher. :facepalm2: My friends also seem to love philosophy.

*Goes away to stare at the moon and regret*

History? Pah! I'm hating it more and more :[ We don't have the option to take philosophy but there's definitely Higher RME which I'm sure covers a lot of philosophical stuff and I'm pretty sure it's essay based? Interesting suggestion.
Madjackismad
I concur completely. We're not even doing Westminster, just the Scottish Parliament and devolved powers and all that. :facepalm2: We had a really strange local government in the prelim last week.

The USA and South Africa make up for it though!

Nothing will topple the might of History. Nothing. History students unite. :five:

Even the Westminster stuff is pretty dry- when I am trying to revise that I get that thing where I am reading my notes but thinking about something completely unrelated at the same time :p: .

Hear hear! History is the foundation of which the inferior modern studies is built upon!
Vitamin D
Thanks for your advice :biggrin: I've taken French this year, and I'm predicted a B but I'm sure if I put a lot of effort in I could try for an A :smile: I've also done Biology this year, but only really because I love the subject. The only reason I'm hesitant about AH History is because I've found the Higher course really difficult, but I know it would make my application stronger. Crashing Geography has crossed my mind, I'd much prefer it to Modern Studies.

History? Pah! I'm hating it more and more :[ We don't have the option to take philosophy but there's definitely Higher RME which I'm sure covers a lot of philosophical stuff and I'm pretty sure it's essay based? Interesting suggestion.

History is full of so much awesome. It is brimming to the rim with awesome. :awesome:

Gutted about your school not offering philosophy. Have you not got a space on your options sheet for like another subject? You could put in philosophy there and go to another school for it. Also, if you really like English then take AH English because the workload is pretty heavy. I don't mind it all, but a couple in my class complain about it too much and two have now dropped it. :sigh:
ArcadiaHouse
I don't care, I think it's rubbish!! The essays are straightforward but the DME is dire, totally cba. I wish I could drop it like it's hot, but I can't risk screwing up another subject with no fall-back. :shifty:

EDIT: Why do people think the South Africa topic is amazing? It's just facts and figures, so dry.

EDIT II: What texts did you do for AH English again? :beard:

We've not started DME yet, starting it next week. :teehee: I prefer USA over South Africa, but it's still interesting and stuff. :yep:

Hmm, for the course, we're doing for prose: 'Foreign Parts' and 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing' by Janice Galloway. For drama we're doing three Harold Pinter plays (:adore:) 'The Homecoming', 'One for the Road' and 'Mountain Language'. No poetry, because the head of the department (who usually took it) doesn't want to do it anymore because apparently last year, the SQA sprung a nasty question on the class, telling them to only do three poems and it was the ones they didn't expect, so she's just doing the dissertation with us and then practising essays and stuff.

For mah dissertationz, I did 'Crime and Punishment' and 'American Psycho'. :awesome:
some help !! how do you work out 8^1/3
Reply 591
ArcadiaHouse
Good show. I may follow in your footsteps by ditching Modern :colone:

:five:

Go for it, you know you want to :colone:
I feel like a huge weight's been lifted off my shoulders! :biggrin:
Reply 592
stefany-a

It's been a while since I did Maths but if I remember right, 8^1/3 is the same as the cubed root of 8?
bex285
Go for it, you know you want to :colone:
I feel like a huge weight's been lifted off my shoulders! :biggrin:

Oh, that is so tempting :coma: But if I **** up Geography or Business I'll be like ... if only I'd tried to get a B at Modern, and not 'put all my eggs in one basket' :p:

Plus, the teacher would be raging for 'wasting her time', as she told someone else who dropped it. :woo:
Reply 594
ArcadiaHouse
Oh, that is so tempting :coma: But if I **** up Geography or Business I'll be like ... if only I'd tried to get a B at Modern, and not 'put all my eggs in one basket' :p:

Plus, the teacher would be raging for 'wasting her time', as she told someone else who dropped it. :woo:

Aaah, fair enough. I'd probably be the same in that situation, I'd crap it in case I buggered up one of them and had nothing else to fall back on :p:

I thought my teacher was gonna be angry too but she wasn't :biggrin:
Madjackismad
We've not started DME yet, starting it next week. :teehee: I prefer USA over South Africa, but it's still interesting and stuff. :yep:

Hmm, for the course, we're doing for prose: 'Foreign Parts' and 'The Trick Is To Keep Breathing' by Janice Galloway. For drama we're doing three Harold Pinter plays (:adore:) 'The Homecoming', 'One for the Road' and 'Mountain Language'. No poetry, because the head of the department (who usually took it) doesn't want to do it anymore because apparently last year, the SQA sprung a nasty question on the class, telling them to only do three poems and it was the ones they didn't expect, so she's just doing the dissertation with us and then practising essays and stuff.

For mah dissertationz, I did 'Crime and Punishment' and 'American Psycho'. :awesome:

We're doing Sylvia Plath and she's just :coma: Everyone in the class hates her poetry, I think she's fascinating, utter GENIUS :p:

Ah, I remember now :awesome: You only did two texts? But then 'Crime and Punishment' is hefty :p:

I should check out Pinter if he's that amazing. :awesome:

How many times did you look at your dissertation? I like to just do things right at the time, then leave it and move on. I can't tweak it every couple of weeks, I get sick to death of looking at it. I think I'll work on it this week and next week, then add my finishing touches. :biggrin:
Madjackismad
AH English because the workload is pretty heavy.

Really? :nothing: This has bugged me all through the year. The whole time I've been feeling like AH English is a total breeze/light workload compared to Higher... which doesn't really seem right. Was suspicious that my school just isn't teaching it as well as others or something. Guess my suspicions were correct. :shifty:
ArcadiaHouse
We're doing Sylvia Plath and she's just :coma: Everyone in the class hates her poetry, I think she's fascinating, utter GENIUS :p:

Ah, I remember now :awesome: You only did two texts? But then 'Crime and Punishment' is hefty :p:

I should check out Pinter if he's that amazing. :awesome:

How many times did you look at your dissertation? I like to just do things right at the time, then leave it and move on. I can't tweak it every couple of weeks, I get sick to death of looking at it. I think I'll work on it this week and next week, then add my finishing touches. :biggrin:

Sylvia Plath is about as boring as a dildo. :p:

Yeah, American Psycho and Crime and Punishments are fair lengths. :p: I would be dead now if I decided to go with a third book.

Pinter is genius. :yep: It's stuff that requires a fair bit of analysis though.

Er, spent about 4 weeks tweaking and polishing my dissertation, I was glad to see the end of it. :p: Mind you have to do footnotes and page references and stuff. :awesome:

Pedrobear
Really? This has bugged me all through the year. The whole time I've been feeling like AH English is a total breeze/light workload compared to Higher... which doesn't really seem right. Was suspicious that my school just isn't teaching it as well as others or something. Guess my suspicions were correct.

Bugging you because you have been pushing the work back and creating alternate realities in your head that you believe that they actually took place or because of inadequate teachers? :p:
******* hell, where's the pace gone? Is this the retirement home stage of the chat threads? Moving about, attempting to make it to the bingo as fast as possible but the zimmer frames are not letting us? Come on, think about our younger days. Our more rebellious days, perhaps that will rekindle some fire for life. :grumble:

/Rant.

:tumble:

You lot signed a contract, you did. A contract to give up your soul to TSR. :colone:

:awesome:

Madjackismad
Bugging you because you have been pushing the work back and creating alternate realities in your head that you believe that they actually took place or because of inadequate teachers? :p:

:awesome: Bugging me because we've just done... nothing really. We've done what's techincally required but... that doesn't feel like much? The course as a whole seems kinda... sparse :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending