Scroll to see replies

LuhLah
11. How many solutions does the equation
( 4sinx54\sin x-\sqrt{5} )( sinx+1\sin x + 1 ) =0 = 0

have in the interval 0<x<2π0<x<2\pi?

I get:

4sinx5=04\sin x-\sqrt{5}=0 or sinx+1=0\sin x+1=0
sinx54\sin x\frac{\sqrt{5}}{4} or sinx=1\sin x=-1

As 54<1\frac{\sqrt{5}}{4}<1, there are two solutions in 0<x<2π0<x<2\pi hence there are 3 solutions.

My lecturer said there was only 2. Where am I going wrong?

Fixed LaTeX.
Reply 981
ukdragon37
Perhaps a better night's sleep is more beneficial than cramming? Although my teacher always used to say that if you feel confident going into an exam then you've prepared enough for that exam.

Nah. I do maths better sleep deprived, anyway :p:

So many past papers. :colonhash:
Reply 982
A Large Town In France
Fixed LaTeX.

You're a gem. :colone: Ta.
LuhLah
You're a gem. :colone: Ta.

No probs. Your lecturer's wrong, unless I'm seriously crazy. The graph clearly has three roots.
Reply 984
A Large Town In France
No probs. Your lecturer's wrong, unless I'm seriously crazy. The graph clearly has three roots.

Omg, that bugger. Thanks. I'm just going over vector questions now :smile:
LuhLah
Omg, that bugger. Thanks. I'm just going over vector questions now :smile:

Get some sleep missy so you'll be in tip-top shape for tomorrow. :p:
Reply 986
rosie9391
Get some sleep missy so you'll be in tip-top shape for tomorrow. :p:

No, I'm only embarking on my revision voyage :p:
A Large Town In France

Technically it's four, since one of them is a double root.

Yeah. :colonhash:

:p:
Reply 988
Well, that was a complete and utter epic fail. :sad: Paper 1 multiple choice was lovely, section B was ugh, paper two was just a complete and utter-mind rape, there is no way that was higher level.

http://twitter.com/prelimpapers I'm going to kill them :nothing:

I think I like finished 5 questions in the whole of paper 2. :s-smilie: I'll be lucky if I even get a D lol.
LuhLah
Well, that was a complete and utter epic fail. :sad: Paper 1 multiple choice was lovely, section B was ugh, paper two was just a complete and utter-mind rape, there is no way that was higher level.

I think I like finished 5 questions in the whole of paper 2. :s-smilie: I'll be lucky if I even get a D lol.

Perfect Papers and P&N are always set harder than the real papers. :colonhash:

:console:

Do you remember any of the questions?
Reply 990
ukdragon37
Perfect Papers and P&N are always set harder than the real papers. :colonhash:

:console:

Do you remember any of the questions?

Well, there was a bitch of a question to do with altitude and vertices, and it said "find the equation of the median"...there was only a triangle with no lines going through it, at all :s-smilie: So that threw me off.

I missed out the optimization one.

A lot of them were really vague. It was so annoyingly ****. But everyone came out saying "I've totally failed that" and a lot of people were leaving early! Maybe my lecturer tampered with it.

I missed out a really easy 5 marker by accident. >_< Something like prove 2cosx+ sinx = 0 (forgot)

blegh :frown:
LuhLah

I wouldn't worry, prelims mean jack **** in the grand scheme of things. They are just there to give you a good kick up the arse and they certainly did that for me. Got CCE in my prelims, the E was 1% more than the lowest grade we were allowed to get to be able to sit the final exam :p: . I got ABA in the finals, thank God for prelims!
Reply 992
Chemistry on monday, I better get a ******* A in this.

At least all my prep. for maths will help me in the long run...assuming I'm allowed to sit the final exam, lol. Every higher exam I've had is not what I expected them to be...

Sorry for the incoherence :p:
LuhLah
Well, there was a bitch of a question to do with altitude and vertices, and it said "find the equation of the median"...there was only a triangle with no lines going through it, at all :s-smilie: So that threw me off.

I missed out the optimization one.

A lot of them were really vague. It was so annoyingly ****. But everyone came out saying "I've totally failed that" and a lot of people were leaving early! Maybe my lecturer tampered with it.

I missed out a really easy 5 marker by accident. >_< Something like prove 2cosx+ sinx = 0 (forgot)

blegh :frown:

:console: If everyone did badly the pass mark would be low right?
Reply 994
ukdragon37
:console: If everyone did badly the pass mark would be low right?

Hopefully. But, that's any chance of an appeal out the window :p: Meh, trying to get an appeal is like trying to get blood from a stone I suppose.

I was expecting to do well in this one, oops.
LuhLah
Hopefully. But, that's any chance of an appeal out the window :p: Meh, trying to get an appeal is like trying to get blood from a stone I suppose.

I was expecting to do well in this one, oops.

You should count yourself lucky. When I did my Higher Maths there was no such thing as multiple choice! :p:
ukdragon37
You should count yourself lucky. When I did my Higher Maths there was no such thing as multiple choice! :p:

There are advantages to multiple choice (i.e you can guess and have a 1 in 4 chance of the correct answer) but you don't get any marks for working (obviously) which is a bit of a downside.
Reply 997
I just did a chem past paper and only just scraped a B wtf :s-smilie:
This is the last year of the Higher English Personal Statement. Next year's S5s won't have to sit it.
Reply 999
ukdragon37

I'd prefer just normal questions tbh. It's really heart wrenching when you do the working and none of your answers are there, but I suppose that's your fault hah.

Latest

Trending

Trending