The Student Room Group

US high school graduate but studying in the UK for uni.

I'm a british born citizen but I've lived in the states for 7 years and recieved my high school diploma in 2008. I moved back to the UK to study for university however I was told that my high school diploma was the same equivalence as GCSEs so I'm taking 6th form.

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I'm not achieving anything.

Does anyone know where I can go to Uni without the hassel of college or Sixth Form?
I'm guessing you could go to uni in the USA?
You could do an Open university course or two then use them to gain access to a 'proper' uni if you wanted.
I don't know of any Unis that will accept you without A-levels or equivalent. :/
Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
A highschool diploma should be equivalent to A levels though.
TheSmokeMonster
A highschool diploma should be equivalent to A levels though.

ya, that's what I thought.

i think your ACTs and SATs should count as well and you shouldn't have taken A-levels.
What?!? Whoever told you that you need to do 6th form is just plain wrong. You really should have researched this instead of taking them at their word. :s-smilie:

Most universities ask for 3 AP exams from Americans.

Believe me, I went to high school in the US, and graduated a year early when I was only 17, and I got accepted to every UK university I applied to. I did not have any UK qualifications.
Reply 7
Pink Bullets
What?!? Whoever told you that you need to do 6th form is just plain wrong. You really should have researched this instead of taking them at their word. :s-smilie:

Most universities ask for 3 AP exams from Americans.

Believe me, I went to high school in the US, and graduated a year early when I was only 17, and I got accepted to every UK university I applied to. I did not have any UK qualifications.

Trust me, i did do research, i made calls and visited universities. they said nothing about AP exams. Places like Chichester and Brookes just told me that my diploma wasn't good enough
EMS_Komiya
Trust me, i did do research, i made calls and visited universities. they said nothing about AP exams. Places like Chichester and Brookes just told me that my diploma wasn't good enough

Oxford Brookes?

They require:

High School Diploma with 3.0/3.2 GPA plus ONE of the following:

1. Combined SAT score 1,700/1,800
2. ACT average score between 27/30
3. 3 Advanced Placement (AP) tests with a score of 3+

That took four clicks from their main site to find. I can't believe you just took one person on the phone at their word...
Yeah, unfortunately AP tests are the only thing that count for ****.

I was in a similar situation and did three APs but ended up doing a year of sixth form anyway (two fast-track A levels and an AS). It was annoying but unless you've already got good AP results and don't mind waiting until next year to apply there's not a lot you can do at this point.
Your education system is inferior apparently.
Man up and do your A levels, everyone else has to.
Reply 11
Pink Bullets
Oxford Brookes?

They require:

That took four clicks from their main site to find. I can't believe you just took one person on the phone at their word...

Not just one person.
Either way i did take the SAT with the new scoring system, I got 1400/2400. Brookes adminstration said it wasn't good enough and I never took the ACT because i've never heard of it until after i graduated high school.
I don't think the ACT would have helped either, if that cheers you up at all (probably not). Lots of people just do either the SAT or the ACT.

Also, I'm pretty sure those requirements mean getting 1700 to 1800 out of 2400, not 1700 out of 1800, so your SAT scores were indeed not good enough.
Reply 13
you often have to do AP's because admissions is done solely on test scores in the UK. all that hard work you have done for a high high school GPA was worthless, they don't even look at grades. it is a much different process.
Roobagnall
Your education system is inferior apparently.
Man up and do your A levels, everyone else has to.

Er what? No they don't. I got accepted into five good UK universities without any A-levels, GCSEs, or anything of that sort. UK universities don't expect everyone to have studied in their system.
EMS_Komiya
Not just one person.
Either way i did take the SAT with the new scoring system, I got 1400/2400. Brookes adminstration said it wasn't good enough and I never took the ACT because i've never heard of it until after i graduated high school.

Tbh, it would have probably taken a lot less time to improve your SAT scores than to do three whole A-levels from scratch. Though if you're already almost there, never mind. How far along with your A-levels are you? What are your predicted grades?
Pink Bullets
Er what? No they don't. I got accepted into five good UK universities without any A-levels, GCSEs, or anything of that sort. UK universities don't expect everyone to have studied in their system.

I didn't mean that. Naturally British universities take other qualifications but if the qualifications are inferior to A levels then they must get the obligatory qualifications.
Reply 17
Pink Bullets
Tbh, it would have probably taken a lot less time to improve your SAT scores than to do three whole A-levels from scratch. Though if you're already almost there, never mind. How far along with your A-levels are you? What are your predicted grades?

I'me on my second year in 6th form and I'm predicted B in Economics, B in Business and C in history.
I took my SATs in the US around May and was sent back to England in June so i raely had time to imptove it.I got my SAT results while I was here. If there is a place in all of england to retake the SATs i gladly would.
EMS_Komiya
I'me on my second year in 6th form and I'm predicted B in Economics, B in Business and C in history.
I took my SATs in the US around May and was sent back to England in June so i raely had time to imptove it.I got my SAT results while I was here. If there is a place in all of england to retake the SATs i gladly would.

US Educational Advisory Service

Walk-Up Address:
US Educational Advisory Service
Fulbright House
62 Doughty Street
London, WC1N 2JZ England
United Kingdom

Country Code: 44 City Code: 20
Telephone: 7404 6994
Fax: 7404 6874

Email: [email protected]
URL: www.fulbright.co.uk/eas