The Student Room Group

Transfer to the US half way through A-Levels

My family has an opportunity to move to Virginia, USA in the Summer when I will be half way through my A-levels in the UK. How difficult do people think this transfer would be? Could I just join the senior year of High School or would I need to repeat years 10 and 11? I have good GCSE results and am studying Chemistry, Maths and PE at A-Level currently. I would like to go to university after finishing my A-Levels/US High School.
You could probably join senior year. Y12 content in UK is approximately equal to AP or senior year in US. (An A level is worth two semesters university credit for that subject in the US while an AP class/exam is worth one semester credit.) I'm not sure how you would be placed for humanities subjects, though. Alternately, some schools do offer international A levels.
You're so lucky
Does your family have the money to pay for international schools? Or US universities for that matter?
You wouldn't need to repeat any years of high school. Schooling in the U.S. is very different from year to year and even school to school, it's not like the U.K. or other countries where there's a recognized national standardized curriculum or consistent syllabi that students follow. Although some high schools require a certain number of years of the core subjects (English, Math, Science, History) to graduate, that would be a great point to check in on.

Unless the school you're moving to offers A-Levels, I'd recommend making sure that you take as many AP-courses as possible if you're interested in U.S. universities.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by doylem385
My family has an opportunity to move to Virginia, USA in the Summer when I will be half way through my A-levels in the UK. How difficult do people think this transfer would be? Could I just join the senior year of High School or would I need to repeat years 10 and 11? I have good GCSE results and am studying Chemistry, Maths and PE at A-Level currently. I would like to go to university after finishing my A-Levels/US High School.
My son has the same situation, can you please help me how you got the admission in the high school ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending