The Student Room Group

The IB&C Pre-University Thread for School and A Level Pupils

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
How does one go about getting work experience from say Barclays, Nationwide, Lloyds, etc.? I've not got anything to do in the summer, and I'd like to make it as productive as possible; given I'd like to go into banking, I figured trying to get work experience would be my best bet, and would help my UCAS application next year too...

If I were to send an email asking for work experience, what sort of things should I be putting in, other than why I want to do it? And which department, generally, should I be emailing?

(Sorry if I come across as stupid, but I've never done this before, and would rather ask than waste time asking the wrong people and looking like a tit.)
I was just wondering if anybody had heard anything back from J. P. Morgan yet, about their schools programme application. I ask because they said that applications closed on the 1st May, so that is it from now on.

Daniel
What is considered "business casual" dress? Shirt, suit trousers? A tie? Jacket? A jumper? I don't want to go dressed in all the wrong things, and look a fool.
Reply 163
Original post by Astronomical
What is considered "business casual" dress? Shirt, suit trousers? A tie? Jacket? A jumper? I don't want to go dressed in all the wrong things, and look a fool.

Different places have different interpretations of "Business Casual". The safest option is "Business" minus the tie and perhaps the jacket if the weather allows.
Original post by DeeDub
Different places have different interpretations of "Business Casual". The safest option is "Business" minus the tie and perhaps the jacket if the weather allows.

Well its this JP Morgan summer school next week. The email simply says "Attire: business casual"

Do you think a jumper would be alright? I don't like wearing just a shirt with no jacker/jumper, but I don't want to look daft. :tongue:

Thanks for the help anyway, it's better than google/wikipedia could manage! Wikipedia says jeans are business casual. :s-smilie:
Business casual = Business formal minus a tie.
Original post by Astronomical

Wear a suit. You can always take your tie off at the event.

It is always better to be over dressed than under dressed.
Reply 167
for the people who are applying for JP Morgan what year are you all in?
Reply 168
At degree level, is maths better or Economics for this kind of career?
Reply 169
Original post by Miryo
At degree level, is maths better or Economics for this kind of career?

It doesn't really matter. Do what you are good at and interested in. They recruit a range of different degrees from English to Economics, etc..
Original post by thamerz
It doesn't really matter. Do what you are good at and interested in. They recruit a range of different degrees from English to Economics, etc..

Even archaeology and anthropology....:mmm:
Reply 171
If I was to take a gap year before university, are there any internships I could get in that year? I'm thinking about IB but I'd like a bit of experience before I commit myself to it.

If not, I know there are like gap year programmes at places like Deloitte and PwC but will that give me any insight into what working at an investment bank is like?
There are one or two but they're certainly not common.
Reply 173
Hi this is my first post on here so here it goes...

I'm currently a GCSE student just starting to think about my A levels. I read in the thread how business and economics are "soft" subjects which top universties ( the ones I'm aiming for) don't really care about. However, these are my best subjects ( well I'm top of my year for business and think I'll be good at economics). I was wondering would it be better for me to do these subjects and hopefully get A & A*s or do other subjects which would help me get into investment banking - which is what I want to go into. However what other A-levels would be best for investment banking, and getting me into a good uni.

look forward to replies...
Original post by DHandZ
Hi this is my first post on here so here it goes...

I'm currently a GCSE student just starting to think about my A levels. I read in the thread how business and economics are "soft" subjects which top universties ( the ones I'm aiming for) don't really care about. However, these are my best subjects ( well I'm top of my year for business and think I'll be good at economics). I was wondering would it be better for me to do these subjects and hopefully get A & A*s or do other subjects which would help me get into investment banking - which is what I want to go into. However what other A-levels would be best for investment banking, and getting me into a good uni.

look forward to replies...

It's okay as long as you don't do Business and Economics together and do them alongside traditional subjects.

Maybe something like Economics, Maths, any Science and another Humanity :smile:.

This is just with regard to getting you into a top uni, banks don't really care too much what subjects you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 175
Thanks for the reply.
Would it be ok to do ; Maths,Georgraphy,Business and Economics at AS and drop Business for final year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DHandZ
Thanks for the reply.
Would it be ok to do ; Maths,Georgraphy,Business and Economics at AS and drop Business for final year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some top unis are okay with that arrangement but I wouldn't risk it myself. You can pick up A Level Business content quite quickly in your own free time in my opinion. It's really one or the other in my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 177
I went on this one day programme in London about how to break into investment banking, trading, hedge funds etc taught by professionals in the careers. it was pretty useful
Reply 178
Original post by sarah185
I went on this one day programme in London about how to break into investment banking, trading, hedge funds etc taught by professionals in the careers. it was pretty useful

That sounds great. Can you give any more details I.e which company it was with as I'd love to attend one of these.
Reply 179
well it already happened in November. im not sure if they are doing any more of them but it was called the Young Investment Banker Programme. Was at UCL. The company running it was called InvestIN Education. cant remember the website off the top of my head but maybe search for young investment banker programme in google!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending