The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

County Councils do a lease car system once you get to a certain grade but i think that is stopping soon...
Reply 2
You do realise that they're not "given" a car, you're still taxed on it as part of your income and sometimes it's cheaper to run your own car and claim the mileage back.
A friend of a friend's parent is an accountant and has a company car. I'm not sure if this is true for all accountants though.

:rolleyes:
Reply 4
This is such a stupid question. Sounds like you're going to base your career decision on whether you get a company car or not. If you do get a job with a company car you will soon realise that you get taxed quite heavily unless you get some **** eco friendly car and that you're probably better of claiming mileage in your own car.

Whether a car is offered will very from company to company anyway so again, this is a pretty pointless question.
Cortez
This is such a stupid question. Sounds like you're going to base your career decision on whether you get a company car or not. If you do get a job with a company car you will soon realise that you get taxed quite heavily unless you get some **** eco friendly car and that you're probably better of claiming mileage in your own car.

Whether a car is offered will very from company to company anyway so again, this is a pretty pointless question.

1. What does taxed quite heavily indicate, 12%, 60%?
2. Why would I want to use my own car...if I am clocking up say 100,000miles + anually?
3. The question asks if you know of any companies that do offer cars, I did not ask for peoples views on company cars.
kent_student_19
2. Why would I want to use my own car...if I am clocking up say 100,000miles + anually?
3. The question asks if you know of any companies that do offer cars, I did not ask for peoples views on company cars.

If you need to travel a lot for work. Most places I know of will just let you claim back your mileage - the company my dad works for does this and when he has to travel he actually makes a profit because of the £/mile they offer him.

But I agree with the guy above. It just sounds like you want a job for a car... If that's all you want in your job then you need to grow up.
Reply 7
kent_student_19

1: See here for a table. Seems to vary between 10 and 35% depending on CO2. Some companies may also offer a cash allowance, as an alternative, but obviously this is subject to tax too.

2: You'll probably get an allowance for miles etc anyway, no company car tax, you still own the car if you move jobs etc, means your choice of car is less restricted. Probably less benefit if you already have a decent car if you are doing high miles.
Wednesday Bass
If you need to travel a lot for work. Most places I know of will just let you claim back your mileage - the company my dad works for does this and when he has to travel he actually makes a profit because of the £/mile they offer him.

But I agree with the guy above. It just sounds like you want a job for a car... If that's all you want in your job then you need to grow up.

Thanks for the info...as the thread topic asks anyone know of any companies where they do this...what company does your dad work for?

Ohh yeah of course...I mean ideally I would work for Pizza Hut that way i get a Piaggio Fly 49cc moped...Other way round I want a car to go with the job....hence my original Q why Im asking about particular companies.
Cortez

Or maybe he just wants some info, what a crazy world we live in :crazy:
Medical sales industry. So...

Medical reps
Regional Business Managers etc.

All the medical companies in that area do. We've had a Company car longer that I've been alive. Last 5 years we've had 3 BMW 3 series, two Audi A4s (currently got the latest one), and a Toyota Avensis (whilst waiting for the Audi to be ordered).
Poundland definitely do. Well, at head office they do. I know that much!

My dad's girlfriend leases her car through work.

Some PCTs do. My mom leases her car from them. 1.5 diesel Megane :awesome:
kent_student_19
Thanks for the info...as the thread topic asks anyone know of any companies where they do this...what company does your dad work for?

Ohh yeah of course...I mean ideally I would work for Pizza Hut that way i get a Piaggio Fly 49cc moped...Other way round I want a car to go with the job....hence my original Q why Im asking about particular companies.

My dad works for VT Aerospace - the campany who took over the engineering side of the helicopters when it went civvy.

Or, you could just buy a car yourself like most of the country do.
1. you get buttraped on tax because of the 'benefit in kind' of personal use - especially if you don't do loads of business mileage and aren't on call to attend a location because of your role - this is the reason that crew cab pickups and fully corporately marked vehicles are now common as company cars - because you can minimise the taxation buttrape through various things

2. you have to keep scrupulous records of personal vs commuting vs actual business mileage , ditto with fuel reciepts whether you pay and claim back of have a fuel card and get billed for personal mileage
Reply 14
kent_student_19

I can't see how you'd ever be doing 100,000 miles a year, the average in the UK is about 10-12k, and even more extreme cases would probably only go up to 30k, unless you were driving constantly!
Reply 15
kent_student_19

1. Based on Co2 levels. Can be up to 35% but that's 35% of the LIST PRICE of the car, not how much was paid for it, even if you get a second hand car iirc.

Then there is an additional liability if your private fuel is paid for which is currently £16,900 x the same %age (so 35% in this example) that relates to the Co2 level of the car.

The 35% and the fuel benefit is then added to your income and taxed in the usual way so you'll probably be in the higher rate band if you're getting a car so 40%.

So say you have a 25k car with high co2 that's £8750 a year taxed at say 40% = £3,500 you have to pay. That's assuming you only use it for business mileage and pay your own private mileage - quite a lot since you're not really getting anything from it i.e. don't get to keep the car etc.

Say they pay your fuel for private use that's an additional benefit of £5,915 taxed @ 40% = £2,366. If you go through over £200 a month in private fuel then it might be worth it but otherwise not.

You also have to pay this every year you use the car/fuel privately.

Not to mention the Government are really not keen on company cars and I believe these taxes have been raised quite a lot in the last few years to put people off them and wouldn't surprise me if they taxed them more in future.

2. If you use your own car you'll get 10,000 miles at 40p and the rest at 25p. 100k miles would get you £26,500 - deduct the fuel and other costs and the rest is yours tax free.

3. If you're not picking a career based on a company car being available then I presume you know what industry you want to work in already? Maybe if you told us we could give you companies in that industry. It's a bit pointless listing every company that offers cars ...
I think you generally get a company car if you as a member of staff bring in money to the company, e.g. Solicitor, Recruitment Consultant, Sales Directors, Advertising Executive etc...
To ASSUME is what is stupid! In my younger days when i did not have a personal vehicle due to having ZERO credit; I got a job as a car saleswoman to have a means of transportation to and from a job.
Original post by MissDiagnosis
To ASSUME is what is stupid! In my younger days when i did not have a personal vehicle due to having ZERO credit; I got a job as a car saleswoman to have a means of transportation to and from a job.

This thread is 9 years old.
Reply 19
Original post by Wednesday Bass

I think she’s just asking a question and I think telling someone to grow up for asking a question takes a lot worse characteristics than a childish person

Latest

Trending

Trending