The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nirgilis
Have I missed the deadline to apply as an Orientation helper? :colonhash:

Probably. I just got my email today confirming my place at the selection evening.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
x

Hey, Is the allocation of accomodation done whilst taking into account the order of your preferences? I ask because after looking at the allocation guide. It seems to be completely random, unless you have a medical condition or insured Warwick, which would mean you're at the back of the queue. It seems like the random ballet, doesn't discriminate, and doesn't take into account whether the particular halls is your first choice or last choice. This means that for obvious reasons, that it seems like you're more likely to be assigned to a hall with a 'low' amount of applicants, even if its your 4th/5th choice.. :sad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2702
Original post by Tsunami2011
Hey, Is the allocation of accomodation done whilst taking into account the order of your preferences? I ask because after looking at the allocation guide. It seems to be completely random, unless you have a medical condition or insured Warwick, which would mean you're at the back of the queue. It seems like the random ballet, doesn't discriminate, and doesn't take into account whether the particular halls is your first choice or last choice. This means that for obvious reasons, that it seems like you're more likely to be assigned to a hall with a 'low' amount of applicants, even if its your 4th/5th choice.. :sad:

I think they do consider preferences where they can... but yeah I've known people who've got their 3rd/4th choice.

Where are you going for? :biggrin:
Original post by Bea492
I think they do consider preferences where they can... but yeah I've known people who've got their 3rd/4th choice.

Where are you going for? :biggrin:

Ah fingers crossed, I hope so, hopefully its not completely done by computer.

I've seen your choices on FB, pretty identical to mine:tongue: I'm going for Rootes, Jack Martin, Sherbourne, no idea on the final two, but hoping to get one of the first two.

I'm thinking of Bluebell as a tactical 4th choice, since it is probably one of the most over-subscribed halls, so the chances of getting it as your fourth choice are very slim and it fills up a space, while if I were to put Westwood, the chances would be higher, as they will be more inclined to put you there if the applicant ratio is low and they need to fill it up somehow and JM seems very competitive, seems like Sherbourne will be also, and Rootes seems to have gained popularity this year. + My brother said that loads of his friends were put in Westwood without even applying there in freshers.:afraid::
Reply 2704
Ah fingers crossed, I hope so, hopefully its not completely done by computer.

I've seen your choices on FB, pretty identical to mine:tongue: I'm going for Rootes, Jack Martin, Sherbourne, no idea on the final two, but hoping to get one of the first two.

I'm thinking of Bluebell as a tactical 4th choice, since it is probably one of the most over-subscribed halls, so the chances of getting it as your fourth choice are very slim and it fills up a space, while if I were to put Westwood, the chances would be higher, as they will be more inclined to put you there if the applicant ratio is low and they need to fill it up somehow and JM seems very competitive, seems like Sherbourne will be also, and Rootes seems to have gained popularity this year. + My brother said that loads of his friends were put in Westwood without even applying there in freshers.:afraid::

Ah nice xD I'm still debating putting Rootes as a 1st choice but not sure yet. I might do it just to insure I get it since, as you said, they'll put you anywhere :/
I'm not totally adverse to Westwood, I'd rather be there than Whitefields. If they put me there I'd be devastated- those little flats look so isolating! But I don't really want to go to Westwood either even though I was considering it as a 4th or 5th choice...too risky? There's not enough decent halls to pick 5! I can't put Bluebell on the off chance I get it as I can't afford it. If they put me in Sherbourne I'm a bit screwed too.

Ah this is harder than choosing the damn University! :tongue:
Original post by Bea492
Ah nice xD I'm still debating putting Rootes as a 1st choice but not sure yet. I might do it just to insure I get it since, as you said, they'll put you anywhere :/
I'm not totally adverse to Westwood, I'd rather be there than Whitefields. If they put me there I'd be devastated- those little flats look so isolating! But I don't really want to go to Westwood either even though I was considering it as a 4th or 5th choice...too risky? There's not enough decent halls to pick 5! I can't put Bluebell on the off chance I get it as I can't afford it. If they put me in Sherbourne I'm a bit screwed too.

Ah this is harder than choosing the damn University! :tongue:

I decided on Rootes, since it seems like less of a lottery in terms of who you're living with. With JM, if you don't like your flatmates, its going to be one hell of an awkward year..whilst In Rootes you share a kitchen with about 15 people, so you're bound to meet like-minded people. Rootes doesn't seem too competitive, which is why I'm putting it first, since I'm told that most people who put it first are allocated there and that the noise isn't even bad, but unlike other halls, wardens don't really care much about stuff like music after 10:30 simply because everyone accepts it!

Ah I haven't even looked at most of them lol. I've no idea about Whitefields or een Westwood, slightly annoying, how many halls are closed to freshers! I think 4th/5th choice is fine really, If last year is anything to go by, you should at least get rootes, since I saw people who had it as their 3rd/4th choice who were put there!.
Reply 2706
I decided on Rootes, since it seems like less of a lottery in terms of who you're living with. With JM, if you don't like your flatmates, its going to be one hell of an awkward year..whilst In Rootes you share a kitchen with about 15 people, so you're bound to meet like-minded people. Rootes doesn't seem too competitive, which is why I'm putting it first, since I'm told that most people who put it first are allocated there and that the noise isn't even bad, but unlike other halls, wardens don't really care much about stuff like music after 10:30 simply because everyone accepts it!

Ah I haven't even looked at most of them lol. I've no idea about Whitefields or een Westwood, slightly annoying, how many halls are closed to freshers! I think 4th/5th choice is fine really, If last year is anything to go by, you should at least get rootes, since I saw people who had it as their 3rd/4th choice who were put there!.

Very true, but you can move between floors with JM too I guess. The only issue I have with Rootes is that although I love going out and being very loud, I do want to do well in my exams. If people are still making noise at 6am in exam period I would seriously kick off. Plus, if people were constantly going out in exams I'd be highly tempted to join them which would kill my degree a bit. :tongue:

Was your brother in Rootes? How did he find it?
Original post by Bea492
Very true, but you can move between floors with JM too I guess. The only issue I have with Rootes is that although I love going out and being very loud, I do want to do well in my exams. If people are still making noise at 6am in exam period I would seriously kick off. Plus, if people were constantly going out in exams I'd be highly tempted to join them which would kill my degree a bit. :tongue:

Was your brother in Rootes? How did he find it?

Yeah, I kind of have the same worry. I'm not the kind of person though, who can usually revise in my room, usually have to go to the library, which will probably continue at university:s-smilie:. I also doubt whether it's CRAZY loud during the day, I'm sure most people will be in lectures at that time, sleeping of a hangover or during some work, and tbh I'm not someone who can really work during the late evening, so noise at that time wouldn't really bother me.

Yep he was! He liked it, he said it is really not as 'crazy' as people make out, except freshers term, and it depends on what kind of person you are. If you're someone who likes going out, the noise won't really bother you, since it dies down after a while. Also, said some corridors aren't as loud as others, people just seem to assume that being in Rootes=party animal all year round,when its not the case. I think it just contrasts with places like AV where the wardens metaphorically shut it down after 10:30 and you get far more social recluses. Its around 15 people to a kitchen, which seems better to me, than a flat of just 7ish which just makes me feel claustrophic in some strange way.:redface: Some people will get riled by even the sound of music playing or laughter, so will obviously hate Rootes, I know currently the FB group seems full of sociable people, but its inevitable that there will be people who choose not to live their room all year unless complusory:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Tsunami (if I may), did you switch from Law in the end?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Deep456
x

Lol not comfortable with name tattered over the net..

Have to wait till term time, to see what they can do/once they have an idea of the amount of firmers/insurers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Lol not comfortable with name tattered over the net..

Have to wait till term time, to see what they can do/once they have an idea of the amount of firmers/insurers.

Done, haha. Planning to take over the world, eh?

If you end up on my course, imagine the amount of arguments.
Original post by Deep456
Done, haha. Planning to take over the world, eh?

If you end up on my course, imagine the amount of arguments.

:lol: no, but I post some stupid stuff, and it'd be pretty easy in the future for a firm to put two and two together, if push came to shove.

Yeah, I was always into PPE, but the thought of studying three subjects seems like a disaster waiting to happen (for me)

All arguments involved the LSE so I doubt they'd be many at Warwick:colone:
:lol: no, but I post some stupid stuff, and it'd be pretty easy in the future for a firm to put two and two together, if push came to shove.

Yeah, I was always into PPE, but the thought of studying three subjects seems like a disaster waiting to happen (for me)

All arguments involved the LSE so I doubt they'd be many at Warwick:colone:

Unbelievable. They aren't the secret service!

Don't worry, I will manage to find something. Judging by the firmers' thread, there's going to be some absolute nutters in PPE. More bait, very pleased.
Original post by Deep456
Unbelievable. They aren't the secret service!

Don't worry, I will manage to find something. Judging by the firmers' thread, there's going to be some absolute nutters in PPE. More bait, very pleased.

:lol: I'm not paranoid for no reason, the place I work explicity said that they check TSR and other networking sites in case people are slandering the company's name.

Yeah, I'm forced to bite my tongue quite often on there, as I may easily rub people up the wrong way.
:lol: I'm not paranoid for no reason, the place I work explicity said that they check TSR and other networking sites in case people are slandering the company's name.

Yeah, I'm forced to bite my tongue quite often on there, as I may easily rub people up the wrong way.

No, get involved. It's cracking entertainment.
Original post by georgia
Probably. I just got my email today confirming my place at the selection evening.

Have I missed the deadline to apply as an Orientation helper? :colonhash:

Good luck guys, the selection evening is pretty much a chaotic hour of trying to get your word in during the presentation/tasks.

Top tips: Make sure your name is clearly visible, try get a first spot to talk in the presentation for the 'draw and present a map of campus task', don't over dominate the conversation, however.

That's if this selection evening is exactly the same as the last two years. Essentially the chosen Team Leaders and international office staff get a sheet of everyone at the evening, with 3 positive marking boxes and 3 negative marking boxes and a comment section. Get a good number of positive ticks and you're selected. Best way to do that is say something useful in the presentation, as all eyes are on you and you could get 10 ticks that way rather than just one during a group discussion section.
What is the selection evening?
Original post by TheTallOne
Good luck guys, the selection evening is pretty much a chaotic hour of trying to get your word in during the presentation/tasks.

Top tips: Make sure your name is clearly visible, try get a first spot to talk in the presentation for the 'draw and present a map of campus task', don't over dominate the conversation, however.

That's if this selection evening is exactly the same as the last two years. Essentially the chosen Team Leaders and international office staff get a sheet of everyone at the evening, with 3 positive marking boxes and 3 negative marking boxes and a comment section. Get a good number of positive ticks and you're selected. Best way to do that is say something useful in the presentation, as all eyes are on you and you could get 10 ticks that way rather than just one during a group discussion section.

Oh god, that sounds horrific. I'm really not a fan of public speaking like that, but I'm fine in smaller groups/teams. Boooo. At least I can draw maps, though :wink:

Thanks for the tips! Do you remember how many get through?
A question directed at Law applicants:

Has anyone received an offer from Warwick the for LLB 3 Year Course with AABa as their AS grades?

Much appreciated for any help.
Original post by shaminn
A question directed at Law applicants:

Has anyone received an offer from Warwick the for LLB 3 Year Course with AABa as their AS grades?

Much appreciated for any help.

Yeah. I know of people with worse AS grades who have offers.

AAAB at AS is good enough for anywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest